heel-toe and power?

Well I've spent the past week practicing heel-toe on my kick drum practice pad and can get a good steady beat going. Only problem is now that I hook my pedal back up to my kick drum it just doen't have that boom, that I get when I play heels up. It almost sounds drowned out from where I sit, when I hit the snare. Is this common place, and should just be alleviated by hooking up some mics and speakers, or should I be getting a nice loud boom while playing heel-toe as well?

MattRitter

Well I've spent the past week practicing heel-toe on my kick drum practice pad and can get a good steady beat going. Only problem is now that I hook my pedal back up to my kick drum it just doen't have that boom, that I get when I play heels up. It almost sounds drowned out from where I sit, when I hit the snare. Is this common place, and should just be alleviated by hooking up some mics and speakers, or should I be getting a nice loud boom while playing heel-toe as well?
Microphones are not supposed to compensate for faulty technique. You've hit on an issue that I feel is somewhat inherent in "heel/toe." First of all, the "toe" stroke is coming from a flex of the calf muscles (same muscles used when playing "heel down"). These muscles are relatively small (compared to the muscles of the upper leg), which is one reason that it can be hard to get power with "heel down" or "heel/toe." Secondly, if you do a double stroke with "heel/toe," then the last stroke will be a "toe" stroke. This generally means that you will end with your heel up. Well...if you end with your heel up, then there's a huge chance that you will end with the beater jammed into the drum head. Beater jammed into drumhead = muffled drumhead. That's the exact problem you're complaining about. I suggest finding a way of doing "heel/toe" that allows the beater to strike the drumhead and rebound off. Or perhaps find another method altogether for doing your double strokes.

Matt Ritter
Bass Drum Techniques For Today's Drummer
www.UnBuryingTheBeater.com

Tim Waterson

WFD ACEDRUMMER
Matts right you need to learn how to unbury the beater which is just accepting the rebound.
This video has helped a lot of sdrummers
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXH4lXHmwM
Tim

K

kjsm

Matts right you need to learn how to unbury the beater which is just accepting the rebound.
This video has helped a lot of sdrummers
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXH4lXHmwM
Tim
full on d'accord
if u want roar of skin even between notes they needto be even as possible, like how you ideally get your hand double strokes more and more even and sounding like machine gun singles do this with your fet, obviously. i totaly relate - way i see it fact that we pay attention to this is what gives us the chance to better our technique and then playing.