Heel Down Double kick?

Nilsdrums

Hi!

I used to play the heel up ankle technique when doing faster double kicks but since struggling a bit with it I've started doing heel down for mid-tempos (Around 150-190bpm) which feels much more comfortable. I used to think that this technique was not very good for metal playing as you would get tired/sore but now I've managed to get more rebound after working on this technique (even from a stiff old roland kd-9) which allows me to do these tempos for a verse and other faster patterns. Does anyone else use this technique for metal drumming and does anyone know any famous metal drummers using it?

Al Strange

Hi!

I used to play the heel up ankle technique when doing faster double kicks but since struggling a bit with it I've started doing heel down for mid-tempos (Around 150-190bpm) which feels much more comfortable. I used to think that this technique was not very good for metal playing as you would get tired/sore but now I've managed to get more rebound after working on this technique (even from a stiff old roland kd-9) which allows me to do these tempos for a verse and other faster patterns. Does anyone else use this technique for metal drumming and does anyone know any famous metal drummers using it?
I was originally taught to play heel down, but as the bands I played with got louder and faster I switched to heel up. I don’t recall seeing any metal drummers playing predominantly heel down? When I played heel down I found that when I was doing faster “cruising” double bass patterns at high volumes for extended periods, my shins would really hurt. I consequently suffered with shin splints, so switching to heel up really helped me with that. I still play heel down when it suits and can now do a combination of the two, which is more tools in the stick bag? (y) :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
John Longstreth used to play heel down with this weird pushing technique. The first and second Origin albums were recorded heel down. He has since gone back to heel up and utilizes heel/toe.

This is not a great pic, but you can see how far out in front his feet used to be:

4826-0222007235753.jpg

Ghede

John Longstreth used to play heel down with this weird pushing technique. The first and second Origin albums were recorded heel down. He has since gone back to heel up and utilizes heel/toe.

This is not a great pic, but you can see how far out in front his feet used to be:

View attachment 95817
Coincidentally, I watched this recently released video where he talks about this conversion:

Nilsdrums

I was originally taught to play heel down, but as the bands I played with got louder and faster I switched to heel up. I don’t recall seeing any metal drummers playing predominantly heel down? When I played heel down I found that when I was doing faster “cruising” double bass patterns at high volumes for extended periods, my shins would really hurt. I consequently suffered with shin splints, so switching to heel up really helped me with that. I still play heel down when it suits and can now do a combination of the two, which is more tools in the stick bag? (y) :)
Yeah you indeed get more power heel up and I used to get sore as well but now I've managed to get more rebound even on my stiff Roland kd9 i can play most songs, maybe not 5 minute songs with constant 16ths but a verse or two and patterns so I feel like heel down should work for me. Also power won't be as big of a problem if I use triggers, heel-toe doesn't give much power either.

Nilsdrums

View attachment 95817
I watched his video on Marthyns channel about it and it's cool that he uses to play heel down, seems like only reason he switched was because of limited space and that the songs got faster(220bpm+) which won't be a problem for me. We have some songs in 200bpm but i guess i'll have to try and learn the heel toe for that and stick with heel down for the 140-190 region. It prooves that the technique is useable (Eventhough not the most powerfull) :)