Heavy rides anyone?

Frosticles

Silver Member
I used to have a Zildjian Z 21" Mega Bell Ride & that was a monster. Great ping to it & obviously a very loud bell. Absolutely un-crashable in every way. Very much a "one trick pony" Somehow I managed to crack it in the middle of the bow :oops::oops:
I now have 5 ride cymbals (Zildjian 21" A Sweet, Zildjian 22" K Custom Dark, Paiste 2002 20" Heavy, Paiste 2002 22", Scymtek 22" Xtreme) The Scymtek is the heaviest & has a good ping, some wash but a poor bell. When recording, I will use two rides, The 21" Sweet because it has the best bell of all of them, then, whichever my mood likes :)

mikyok

Platinum Member
I used to use them a lot, the stuff I'm doing now doesn't call for them and my tastes have changed, here's some of the heavy rides I used to own:

* 24" Paiste Dimensions Mega Bell - Insanely heavy ride, also useful if I ever had to ride into battle or join a spartan army.
* 22" Earth Ride - Awful cymbal, bell was crap and the feel was awful
* 22" Paiste 2002 Heavy Ride - My go to ride for about 6 years, wasn't overly heavy at all, great bell and little bit of wash. Just about crashed too!

The only heavy ride I own now is a 20" Zildjian Rock ride I acquired in a trade, I need to flog it to someone who will use it. I have a good old 22" A Medium which lets me pretend I sound like Ginger Baker or Jim Gordon.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I used to like heavy, very pingy rides. Now I like them washy and crashable. I am currently playing an AAX 20" Dry Ride, which it kind of in the middle of pingy and washy. To me the tone of a ride is the most important consideration. Peace and goodwill.

Stevedot2

I had a 22" Sabian Hand Hammered Rock Ride for a while. That thing weighed nearly 4kg. It was great but quite unnecessarily big and heavy. The bell was intense.

wraub

I recently set up most of my cymbals, just for fun, and wound up with a 22" ride, a 20" ride, and a 16" crash ride all on the right side... Lately, I've been using all three as a ride, just because. :D

I find they have enough similarity, with enough variety, to make for interesting dynamic accents. Plus... the bell on the 22 is just okay, honestly, but the others make up the difference- The bell on the 16 and the 20 are really good imo.

RickP

Gold Member
I had move away from the heavy rides for awhile now but have had some favourites over the years .
I currently own a 24” Paiste Masters Deep Groove ride that is a big beast but just so versatile . It can do just about anything I want a ride for .

My all time favourite Rock ride cymbal is the 22” Paiste 2002 Heavy ride . The 22” is a much different cymbal than the 20” version .

petrez

I have noe use for lighter, chrashable rides in my music style (thrash/heavy/death metal), so yeah.... I have two rides at the moment (got two bands, different rehearsal places), a 22" Paiste 2002 Rock Bell Ride and a recently acquired 22" Paiste 900 Heavy Ride. The 2002 is the oldest cymbal I have in my setup, incredible pingy sound and awesome bell. I have grown to despise rides with small bells as I like to do a lot of bell work and accents, so I need a big, piercing bell. Both of these rides are nice and pingy, so I'm very satisfied with them. Though they are quite one-dimensional in their sound, so Iif I one time were to switch to lighter playing/music, I would definately get something else.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have 2 dedicated 20" rides, and an 18" crash I ride on quite often. Weights are as follows:

Right side ride: 20" El Rajah (dont ask, super old, no one knows, and no not 60s Rajah) 2020g

Left side ride: 20" Sabian Pro 2720g

18" Zildjian Turkish K 67-77 stamp 1572g

The Sabian pings only. That's all I wanted it for. The El Rajah is very woody and dark sounding. It has 24 rivit holes and a pretty aggressive bow. It washes out pretty well, but if I lay into it too much it does the single note roar others have mentioned also.

The K, its perfect.

Sabian on left, El Rajah on right:

20200613_100624.jpg

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I have 3 rides total:

1979 Zildjian 20" A Rock Ride (this was my first "real music equipment" purchase with lawn mowing money in 5th grade): this is the ride I use 99% of the time, regardless of genre. I am so used to it, I can get many different sounds out of it. I usually use it when I know I am going to play in a larger setting.

1994 Zildjian K 22" Ride: got this when I decided that I did need something more "washy" and dark. It gets used in my swing band when I know we are going to play "loud" settings (meaning venues rather than weddings or luncheons).

1955 Zildjian 22" Ride: this gets used when I am doing specifically brushes only gigs. It actually is too washy to use with sticks. It has a huge bell, and is pretty thin.

1983 Zildjian 20" Ping Ride listed as Medium-Heavy in their catalog, (bought new) but the one I own is closer to a heavy weight compared to others of that era.

Last edited:

Peedy

So, if you all had an 18 in cymbal, how many grams would constitute a “Heavy” ride?

Pete

pgm554

Platinum Member
Used a 22 inch 80's Avedis hollow logo ping ride back in the day.
My group had the Missing Persons song style and it came in quite handy for power trio work.
I have a Zildjian 22" Pitch Black ride that I use for cutting through amplification these days.

specgrade

I got a Paiste Alpha 22" Heavy Ride. I bought it without listening to it. I figured it would go well with my 2002 Heavy Hi-Hats. How's that for some thinkin'? I'm still not sure, lol.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
So, if you all had an 18 in cymbal, how many grams would constitute a “Heavy” ride?

Pete
Once you start getting in or around the 2000g range with an 18" you're into heavy territory, but it's a higher pitch so it might have a bit more shimmer than a larger heavy ride. Just my experiences.

Last edited:

Peedy

Once you start getting in or around the 2000g range with an 18" you're into heavy territory, but it's a higher pitch so it might have a bit more shimmer than a larger heavy ride. Just my experiences.
dang, 2000g! Mine is 1650 and I thought THAT was heavy. Just bought it though. Haven’t tried it yet.

Pete

Edit - Clangy the Cymbal's Coming Out Photo

Late 1950s. 18in. 1650 grams.

18in Ride.jpg

Last edited: