Heavens Alive! Pearl Have Done It At Last!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Export seems to have always been a hodge-podge of whatever wood was cheap that particular year, but Philippine Mahogany was the overwhelming standard for most of the 20+ years the Exports were around. Sometimes with a birch (or some other smooth wood) inner ply, and some all poplar shells towards the end (when the lacquer finishes came around) but maple seems to be just about the only wood never used in the Exports.

And just to be clear, I'm no Export expert, I just know how to read:

http://www.labatteria.it/public/file/Export-by-year.pdf

Terrence R

Silver Member
Export seems to have always been a hodge-podge of whatever wood was cheap that particular year, but Philippine Mahogany was the overwhelming standard for most of the 20+ years the Exports were around. Sometimes with a birch (or some other smooth wood) inner ply, and some all poplar shells towards the end (when the lacquer finishes came around) but maple seems to be just about the only wood never used in the Exports.

And just to be clear, I'm no Export expert, I just know how to read:

http://www.labatteria.it/public/file/Export-by-year.pdf
I have a good friend that has a Export kit with maple shells, including the matching snare. You can really hear the difference. They're so much warmer sounding than any other export kit I played/heard. They sound and feel like pro level shells.

As for the link u have available, it is very accurate. But it is missing the EXR series. Which in fact, did have a run of maple shells.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I have mixed feelings about this. I think the Pearl Export series was the most significant in a decade. It changed the drum market landscape for ever, & gave the entire industry a much needed poke in the sphincter.

The Vision replacement, IMO, for the most part, was a directionless piece of crap. Maybe there's some good ones out there now, but my son bought one 3 years ago, & just about every piece of harware has failed, plus almost non of the bearing edges were fit for purpose. Aside from the bass drum, that kit is unusable/untunable.

Back to this latest incarnation. The shell spec doesn't read well, but there again, it never did, yet always turned in an adequate performance considering the price. Believe it or not, IMHO, I think this mount has some merit, or at least, the principal does. Pity the execution misses the mark big time. Triangulation of contact points makes sense, & in our latest trials, has offered some really good results. The new Tama "Star" system makes the best of it. Ok, whole different price range, but with some thought, the Pearl offering could have been so much better.

It's the Export that made Pearl great. If only they'd realise that now, & pay it the attention it deserves. All that said, I still expect it to be a great first kit choice, but the game that Pearl once dominated, has moved on.

Axe

Are they also getting rid of those stupid tubular tom arms? You know how you can by a tom from any other manufacturer, and whatever suspension mount they use will fit on a Tama, Gibraltar or whatever tom stand? I just bought some Pearl toms off of ebay, and either I get some different suspension mounts, or I have to buy a stand with those stupid tube holders. Uncool!

porter

Platinum Member
Are they also getting rid of those stupid tubular tom arms? You know how you can by a tom from any other manufacturer, and whatever suspension mount they use will fit on a Tama, Gibraltar or whatever tom stand? I just bought some Pearl toms off of ebay, and either I get some different suspension mounts, or I have to buy a stand with those stupid tube holders. Uncool!
Um, there are 4+ types of mounting arms in existence. Yamaha has one, Mapex has a similar one, Pearl and others have the tube arms, Tama and many others have their l-rods, and DW has thicker l-rods. To switch to a different mounting system would take huge amounts of cash, become a massive annoyance for compatibility, and remove a level of brand recognition from their drums.

They are pretty annoying, though. Not a fan of the Pearl arms.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Oh. I thought this post was going to be about a Pearl drum set worth buying. Guess I'll keep holding my breath.

*ducks and runs*

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
That's what I'm saying! Why not get a Stage Custom or PDP Concept in this price-range?
I would wholeheartedly agree with you there, although I would have a difficult time buying any PDP over a Pearl.

For Pearl though, this is a marketing exercise. The Export was one of the (if not the) best selling kit in the World for many years - and with good reason. It upped the game in the lower-end of the market. I actually own a mid-80s Export kit and it's great. The shells are good, the hardware is solid (if ungainly) and it sounds very decent.

I played an Export at school for a long while. Both of my Secondary Schools had Export kits - both identical. Pearl cornered the education market for years with that kit. It was a huge mistake to drop the name and my suspicion is that a lot of parents went to look for an Export and came out buying a competitor's kit because they were disappointed that the name didn't exist any more and would have bought the Export - even if there were other, better, kits in the same price range. The Export had a reputation for solidity, reliability and quality amongst the layperson that didn't exist with - say - the PDP CX or a similar equivalent kit, even if it was just the name.

I just have to wonder how many sales were lost because Pearl stopped using the 'Export' name and started using another one.

The game has definitely moved on though. Other companies now make kits at that price range with better features than even this new Export. I'll be interested to know how it works out for them. The Yamaha Stage Custom is a better kit in all respects (better mounting hardware for a start!) and Pearl have an uphill battle.

As for the problems with the tube arms? I don't like them either, but if you bought Pearl toms without knowing about them then that, in my view, is entirely your problem.