Heat gun used on snare reso head

Lee-Bro

It's a lazy Sunday and I'm watching old episodes of "How It's Made" and the episode showing how (some) drums are made @ Grover is on. I was half paying attention until they said "...He blasts it with a heat gun to shrink the plastic and remove any wrinkles..."

I've never heard of anyone using a heat gun on a head. Have any of you done this? For reference, here's the episode at the mark: https://youtu.be/weV2pElw5p8?t=152

*btw, that heat gun looks a lot like a hair dryer from a hair salon.

Rotarded

I have, and successfully! BUT, if you use an actual heat gun, you need to be careful or you will melt a hole in the head. Mine has dial ajustible heat settings. Start low and carefully increase temp, but do not get closer than about an inch from the head.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Practice on an old reso first. I would think a hair dryer would be safer. They burn my skin if I get them too close.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
If I ever need to pull the reso hoop off, I’ll usually shrink the head with a heat gun. Work great for bringing it back to life. Have also used it on batter heads with varying success. Single ply heads work well for the most part, but I only tried it on 2-ply once and screwed it up. Maybe I should have shrunk the under side Mylar first. Don’t know, but that one’s going to be tricky.

UV1s are also tricky. They resist shrinking, but will with a bit of effort. That said, there’s a fine line between the moment the head stops shrinking and suddenly expands and warps. I’d say stay away from those.

Great trick for when you play in a rental studio and the guy before you beat the heads into the ground. A few minutes with a heat gun and things sound decent.

davezedlee

they make the heads brittle, which might not be a good thing for heavy hitters

that said, i used to put mine in an oven with a digital thermostat at 200 degrees when funds were tight and i needed to coax some life out of heads for my beater kits

vyacheslav

Sometimes it's hard to get the wrinkles out of a snare side head at the snare beds, especially if the edges are fairly deep. In situations like this, I have use a hair drier to remove the wrinkles at the snare beds. Don't get too close and keep the dryer in constant motion. Only takes a few seconds on each side.

markdrum

Silver Member
This is a good technique to remove some dents from heads as well. I've done it with a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight. As noted above be sure to keep the heat gun moving so that you won't weaken the head or possibly melt a section. I also keep a ceramic dinner plate nearby in case I need to put the heat gun down. That drives my wife crazy!