Heat gun on Resos

AZStickman

I was watching a head changing demo online and the gentleman used a heat gun to form the reso head to the snare bed after tightening the lugs JAW. I have never seen this done before and wondered if any of you do this and what benefit it provides if any?....... Terry

Re: Heat Gun on Snare Reso Head

I was watching a head changing demo online and the gentleman used a heat gun to form the reso head to the snare bed after tightening the lugs JAW. I have never seen this done before and wondered if any of you do this and what benefit it provides if any?....... Terry

I always use a hair dryer to do the same thing with all of my heads when I seat them and tune them up. It is said to help the head seat to the bearing edge faster. It seems to be easier to get things in tune since I started doing it.

The way I do it, however is, I crank the head up nice and tight, tune it to itself, run the heat around the edge, let it cool, then I bring it back down to JAW, and then tune to the pitch I want. It all goes pretty fast once you get used to it.

I always use a hair dryer to do the same thing with all of my heads when I seat them and tune them up. It is said to help the head seat to the bearing edge faster. It seems to be easier to get things in tune since I started doing it.

The way I do it, however is, I crank the head up nice and tight, tune it to itself, run the heat around the edge, let it cool, then I bring it back down to JAW, and then tune to the pitch I want. It all goes pretty fast once you get used to it.

Interesting...... I would be nervous using a heat gun for fear of melting the head, but a hair dryer wouldn't get hot enough to worry about. I may have to give it a try next time I do a head change out....... Terry

Bob Gatzen recommends this too. Heads are made out of a petroleum product, and petroleum products shrink when heated. It's somewhat like shrinkwrap. Get the outer edge of the head warm, but not hot. Bob says that as soon as it's warm, it's seated. Although, never tighten a snare side head down further than you're going to tune it because they can be permanently overstretched by doing that. Batter heads should be stretched though. It will reduce the amount of times you have to retune the head.

Interesting...... I would be nervous using a heat gun for fear of melting the head, but a hair dryer wouldn't get hot enough to worry about. I may have to give it a try next time I do a head change out....... Terry

I have the same reservations about this. I would also worry about using a heat gun around wood. If too hot, would the plys start to separate, or could the head possibly melt to the bearing edge and infuse itself into the pores of the wood?

I once read that you can remove dents from heads using a hair dryer. It does not work. A heat gun might, however, if one is really careful while doing so.

I have the same reservations about this. I would also worry about using a heat gun around wood. If too hot, would the plys start to separate, or could the head possibly melt to the bearing edge and infuse itself into the pores of the wood?

I once read that you can remove dents from heads using a hair dryer. It does not work. A heat gun might, however, if one is really careful while doing so.

The heat gun he may be referring to might be just a re-purposed hair dryer. I think I saw the same video today because the person doing it called it a "heat gun" even though it looked like a hair dryer to me.

Either way, Bob Gatzen uses (or used to use) a hair dryer to seat his heads. He would slowly warm up the outer edge of the head until it was warm and then he could go directly into removing all of the tension and start tuning.

I have never used a heat gun or hair dryer.

For many years I have been re-tuning my new heads after the first time I play the drum.
I always thought that the drum head seats itself after a little hard playing. I play rock and roll.

My process has always been:
Install new head and tune. Play the drum hard for at least an hour. Then re-tune the head.

Actually in the video I watched he was using a heat gun like you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot for removing wall paper. I have one just like it in my shop I use for heat bending wood...They get real hot........... Terry

It's weird how I've never heard anyone talk about Gatzen's playing ever, but anytime "tuning" comes up in a thread, he'll get mentioned 75 times. A bit odd, but I guess that's his calling.

I have never used a heat gun or hair dryer.

For many years I have been re-tuning my new heads after the first time I play the drum.
I always thought that the drum head seats itself after a little hard playing. I play rock and roll.

My process has always been:
Install new head and tune. Play the drum hard for at least an hour. Then re-tune the head.

I'm not sure, but I think that warming up the outer edge with a hair dryer while it's seating eliminates the need to do this because it seats the head immediately because the head acts a little like shrink wrap. It's not that we need to get the head hot, but just warm. As he demonstrates this, he's going around the edge about 2 lugs per second about an inch or two away, about 2 or 3 complete passes.

It's weird how I've never heard anyone talk about Gatzen's playing ever, but anytime "tuning" comes up in a thread, he'll get mentioned 75 times. A bit odd, but I guess that's his calling.

Yeah, he's not known for his drumming. Sure, he's a drummer, but his focus has been on sound and design in the drum industry. He's been involved in the development of more products and other drum-related things than I think most people realize.

True! Does he have any videos on Youtube that actually show him playing, like in context with a band??

Hmmm?

I sure he does, I just too lazy right now to look for it. :-(

True! Does he have any videos on Youtube that actually show him playing, like in context with a band??

Hmmm?

I sure he does, I just too lazy right now to look for it. :-(

Unfortunately, no. I'd like to see that too because I bet he would have a fantastic sound.

Not into it myself. Just like guitar strings, drum heads stretch. Deal and tune. I have never taken a hair dryer to the bridge or nut or strings of my guitars to "seat" anything. And I will not to my drums. JMO! but I say, let Nature take it's course.

Not into it myself. Just like guitar strings, drum heads stretch. Deal and tune. I have never taken a hair dryer to the bridge or nut or strings of my guitars to "seat" anything. And I will not to my drums. JMO! but I say, let Nature take it's course.

Well, that's because taking a heat gun to the bridge would do nothing, and to the nut could potentially melt the glue.. Do you not pull on your strings while tuning up to stretch them?

I don't see a problem with speeding up nature a little bit. I know that I would personally rather spend less time tuning and more time playing.

Heads are made out of a petroleum product, and therefore they react to heat like shrinkwrap, although it's very subtle. That's why they seat instantly when the collar is warmed up after tightening the head down evenly. Guitar strings won't do that since they're not made out of a petroleum product.

So, you can either wait, or you can do it instantly. Both get the same results, except one is much faster. It's handy for when changing heads at a gig.

Both get the same results, except one is much faster. It's handy for when changing heads at a gig.

Great, now I have to start carrying a hair dryer to all of my gigs! Actually not a half bad idea, what with how I'm usually dripping with sweat after a 30 minute set. I already have to bring a change of clothes so I don't stink everybody out.

If Bob Gatzen does it, it has to be correct. He reminds me of a cult leader with the following he has for tuning. It was like when Neil Peart was working with Freddy Gruber. In his interviews every other word was Freddy Gruber. It got to the point of demi god worship. I wonder if Bob sits back and laughs " they are actually doing the hair dryer thing" .

If Bob Gatzen does it, it has to be correct. He reminds me of a cult leader with the following he has for tuning. It was like when Neil Peart was working with Freddy Gruber. In his interviews every other word was Freddy Gruber. It got to the point of demi god worship. I wonder if Bob sits back and laughs " they are actually doing the hair dryer thing" .

I'm waiting for Bob to pee on a drum head before seating it to see if the Bobites follow suit.

Back