Heartbeat Cymbals

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Anyone ever heard of them or heard what they sound like? Worship leader at our church has decided to order some of their thin dark series. He said he's heard them at a studio he also engineers at and says they sound great. In my 33 years of playing I've never heard of them let alone heard how they sound.

porter

Platinum Member
From what I know they're one of those homogenous companies marketing Turkish cymbals and endorsements every which way. They are still Turkish cymbals, though. I see a couple things that could be a "thin dark" series but I'm guessing it'll have some unlathed aspects, so get ready for some dryness ;)

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Haven't heard of them but they look and sound fantastic here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gQgto89u0o
Thanks for posting that link. The Heartbeat cymbals sound fantastic on that video. Wish somebody locally carried them so I could hear them firsthand.

Had a chance a few weeks ago to play that little Ludwig Breakbeat kit right next to the Gretsch Catalina competition. To my surprise, the Ludwig kit mopped the floor with the Catalina. Didn't expect that to happen!

GeeDeeEmm

konaboy

Pioneer Member
From what I know they're one of those homogenous companies marketing Turkish cymbals and endorsements every which way. They are still Turkish cymbals, though. I see a couple things that could be a "thin dark" series but I'm guessing it'll have some unlathed aspects, so get ready for some dryness ;)
Yeah they are wanting dry try and tone down volume and brightness in our worship center. Had a thread on heads about a month ago. Problem is the design of the room , it was designed for a choir and organ not contemporary music with drums. Drums are the only acoustic instrument on stage, amps are in an isolation room so not heard except through the p.a. I 2ould have liked the opportunity to explore some of the K series but wasn't asked about it

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I just spent about an hour on the Heartbeat cymbal site listening to their cymbal selection. Quite impressive. I especially liked their Classic and Custom lines. They're offering everything from very dark and trashy items to some extraordinary "traditional" offerings, especially in the two above-mentioned lines. Definitely worth looking into further.

Seems they are also offering (late 2015) a new line of drums, all maple or all ash. The maple kits look especially interesting, with die cast hoops, good heads, decent iso mounts, etc. Basic config is 20/12/14f, but they also offer bass drums ranging from 18" to 24", along with a full range of add on toms. Lug design is a small circular design, and no doubt the least attractive part of the kit. Finishes are very few - either high gloss lacquer or wrap. Hardware offerings are also on the way.

The website offers no pricing on any items, nor contact information for established dealers.

But now for the question that everybody is wondering: Why did you come up with a company/product name like Heartbeat?

GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm

A great deal of OEM cymbals are made in the same foundry as Istanbul Mehmets and Diril.

Not saying Heartbeat is, but you never know. They have been around a few years, marketing to the Worship genre

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Just spent some time going through their sound samples. Some stuff I liked, some I didn't. Pretty much what happens with any cymbal maker, you find ones you like and don't like.

The 15" custom dry hats are the ones they ordered. Those, from the sound file sound pretty good. Not sure I'm going to like the 20" crash or the ride, both the same series.Guess we'll see when they get here.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Do you know exactly which ride and which crash cymbal they ordered? I bet you'll be fine with those hats, but NONE of the 20" crash cymbals on their site would be my first, second, or third choice. Their 18" and smaller crashes in the Classic and Custom lines are simply delicious sounding. Very odd that your music minister would not consult you at all with this purchase, eh? Nonetheless, if I were you I'd look forward to the chance to try this cymbal line. Let us know what you think.

GeeDeeEmm

mitkoni

I've been at their warehouse in Surrey BC. They have a show room there and also a small studio where they record the samples. Noel, the guy who is bringing these used to carry Istanbul Agops. Actually almost all of my Alchemy's are from there. The Heartbeat are great cymbals IMO. I personally have an 8" bell and really like it. Wouldn't mind getting more of their stuff for sure.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Do you know exactly which ride and which crash cymbal they ordered? I bet you'll be fine with those hats, but NONE of the 20" crash cymbals on their site would be my first, second, or third choice. Their 18" and smaller crashes in the Classic and Custom lines are simply delicious sounding. Very odd that your music minister would not consult you at all with this purchase, eh? Nonetheless, if I were you I'd look forward to the chance to try this cymbal line. Let us know what you think.

GeeDeeEmm
From what I'm told, 15"HH 20"crash 21" ride all custom dry. I'll report back once I've played them.

Yeah wish he would have consulted me as well. He does have a good music background, he's young (college age) does sound engineering at a studio, runs sound for the bible college, plays guitar, piano, drums and sings. So he has knowledge but he's not been drumming or had as much experience as myself or one of the other drummers. Would have liked to go to Guitar Center and Sam ash and sampled some other "dark" cymbals to test and compare.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
From what I'm told, 15"HH 20"crash 21" ride all custom dry. I'll report back once I've played them.

Yeah wish he would have consulted me as well. He does have a good music background, he's young (college age) does sound engineering at a studio, runs sound for the bible college, plays guitar, piano, drums and sings. So he has knowledge but he's not been drumming or had as much experience as myself or one of the other drummers. Would have liked to go to Guitar Center and Sam ash and sampled some other "dark" cymbals to test and compare.
So I just heard what they paid for the cymbals listed above. $900

konaboy

Pioneer Member
had a chance to play then today. Very dark and very dry and good lord are they heavy to play.

We'll start with the hats 15" decent stick sound, they wash well when slightly open. They do not have a nice crisp chik sound when using your foot. They are heavy and slow down the action of the pedal noticeably when yu try yo bark them.

The crash is a rendition 20" . Definitely takes a lot more effort and striking force to play compare to an A or A custom. Very quick decay, darker tone and I would say it's a "slow cymbal" with regards how it moves. I'm used to A and A customs, biggest and heaviest crash I've played is an 18" medium. To me.those react faster.making it easy for quicker follow up strokes.

The ride, don't have anything good to say about it. The tone the feel just not appealing to me.at all. There is minimal if any difference between the bow and the bell. Just don't like the sound of.it.

They look like and quality cymbal. The hammering looks.nice, the edges have and polished lathe to it.

My right arm is actually tired and fatigued from playing these today because of the lack of stick response and how slow they feel. You have to be more aggressive and hit harder to get a good sound from them. Riding the crash for that super washy crash sound takes a lot more work and effort . Again not used to cymbals this big or heavy as far as hats as and crashes go so that may be part of it. These would not be my personal first choicr.of cymbals because of sound and weight, not because of quality