Hearing.

Bonzodownunder

I have a problem hearing the music I'm playing along/practicing to for auditions over the drums.I constantly gotta stop to hear if I'm in time, playing the fills in the right spots&endings. I've just recently bought a pair of Shure SE215 but they're NOT loud enough even with volume turned way up,
Any advice, ideas&suggestions?,
As this problem's both annoying, disappointing & frustrating,
Not to mention losing me gigs! :(.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Could it be possible you have a real hearing problem that you should probably see an audiologist about?

I have Shure SE215's too and they seal in my ears so well I usually turn the music down while I'm playing. I suggest listening to your 215's without playing drums, then taking them off, and without changing volume settings, give it to someone else and have them listen to see if it's ear-splitting loud.

I'm really not understanding your problem as the in-ears are actually blocking outside sound to begin with. I can only think you've suffered massive hearing loss.

Bonzodownunder

Let me explain,
When i 1st started practicing learning songs either for an audition or pleasure,
I originally had my stereo right behind me with speakers on each side of me,
Turned up full volume. I could NEVER hear the music over the drums tried headphones plugged into cassette player&then CD player,
Problem STILL persisted.Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 &used the headphones that came with it temporarily solved the problem. Next bought the Sgure SE215 BEFORE I even started using them to practice I tried them listening to a song in my Spotify playlist even on the loudest setting on both 2 of my brothers smartphones my phone&my sister in laws smartphone they could barely hear ANY song with volume turned way up,
The left speaker is faulty,
Hope this better explains my problem?.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
If there's a problem with the product then there's your answer, I guess.

In any case. With things being as cheap as they are these days som sort of mixer, stand alone or interface, and a pair of closed headphones or IEMs will give you full control of the volume of both your drums and the music, metronome or drum machine etc... you use for practicing. For loud music it's the only way to go. Unless you want permanent hearing damage. For softer playing I guess mixing it up is good.

iwearnohats

Silver Member
Are you using the silicone tips instead of the foam tips for the SE215s?

I have the SE215 and have also got Weston UM-1 and now a set of custom Alclairs and they are all loud enough - but for the best isolation (and hearing protection) you need to use the foam tips. What I also did recently was use some earplug silicone (DIY moulded stuff) and put a small amount around a couple of the tip cylinders after cutting off the main part, and I found this makes just as good a seal as the foam tips but with more comfort, and without the associated fatigue and tip degeneration.

You should be able to use SE215s with a smartphone and they will be loud enough - if this is not the case then I would have your hearing checked. In my experience with all three monitors the isolation is good enough that I need my kick drum fed back into my monitors to hear it properly.

EDIT: Missed your second post where you said the SE215s are faulty. Get them replaced (they have a warranty, surely? Don't forget Australian Consumer Law gives you ever right to demand a refund or replacement for a faulty product).

Bonzodownunder

I've booked a hearing test,
I was thinking maybe I need either a IPod &or a monitor (not in ear) but stage monitor ,
Or Remo silent stroke heads&Zildjian L80 cymbals,
Otherwise just be a "hobby drummer"
Someone who just plays drums but's not a drummer (which I was told I was anyway).

Merlin5

Gold Member
Regardless of faulty IEMS, this sounds like a hearing problem.

I originally had my stereo right behind me with speakers on each side of me,
Turned up full volume. I could NEVER hear the music over the drums
Either the stereo speakers are very weak or you play incredibly loud or your ears are shot.

Maybe you could try dampening the drums, playing with a bit less volume and wearing ear defenders over the IEMS.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Assuming that your hearing is OK, here are my thoughts.

I have never practiced with music using speakers for the music. I feel that drums are too loud for that. Unless you play very quietly. Might work with jazz.
Drums are a loud instrument. When practicing with music the first order of business is to dampen the volume of the drums. This is best done with isolation head phones. Headphones that cut way down on the ambient (outside) sound. Earphones that fit into ear molds that have been custom made for your ears also can provide the proper isolation.

Play the drums without music using the isolation headphones. You should be able to hear the drums, but not very loud. It should sound like the drums are not loud and that they are being played in the next room. Now you can add the music into the hearphones. And the music does not have to be very loud. You adjust the level of the music so that the sound of your drums, when played, are just a little louder than the drums in the music. It is a rather difficult balance to find. You need to work with it. But the most important part of this is the first part. That is, lowering the sound level of your drums using isolation headphones.

All of this can also be accomplished using isolation headphones and a mixer. You set up microphones for your drums. Then you mx in the sound of your drums and the music you are playing to. But again the dampening of your drums using isolation headphones is the key.

By the way, I have severe hearing loss. And I can remove my hearing aides, use isolation headphones and play along with music just fine.

Last edited:

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I guess you could try playing quieter. If that's impossible, try some isolating or noise canceling headphones. I don't normally recommend those things.

mrfingers

I'd say the problem is not unusual:
small stereos don't have the power to outblast drums-so yeah, there are problems hearing the music from them, while wearing hearing protection(I wear construction "ear muffs"$12 USA) I've been thru 3 stereos/tape/cd decks looking for the loudest these past 15 yrs.
My old iPod Touch volume automatically turns down music volume when earbuds are plugged in so I have to manually slide the volume up when playing to the music. Maybe your 'phones have the same thing happen when using earbuds?
I've got 4 sets of earbuds-only 2 work well, so earbuds can cause volume loss, too.
Have you ever played/jammed with other musicians? If you do, have you had problems hearing them?

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I use SE215s too but purchased the Comply foam buds that improve the isolation over the factory buds the SE215s come with. I also use a Rolls Personal Monitor (headphone amp).

Jankowske

Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 &used the headphones that came with it temporarily solved the problem. Next bought the Sgure SE215 BEFORE I even started using them to practice I tried them listening to a song in my Spotify playlist even on the loudest setting on both 2 of my brothers smartphones my phone&my sister in laws smartphone they could barely hear ANY song with volume turned way up,
The left speaker is faulty,
Low volume and only one earbud working would make me suspect faulty wiring or the plug not being fully inserted; maybe a bulky phone case or one with too small a hole for the headphone jack?

If not I would suspect your earbuds being defective. I have pretty serious hearing loss but I've never had a problem with earbuds or headphones in an ipod or phone being too quiet. I do have problems with hearing soft-spoken people, though.

Getting your hearing tested is always a good idea.

Mark_S

Silver Member
I use Shure SE425, which is basically the same as the SE215.

If you've got a proper seal with your ear, you should have no problem at all. It should feel like an air tight seal, otherwise they are not in properly, or you're using the wrong sized bit on the end for your ears.

You should barely be able to hear anyone talking to you at normal volume if they're in properly, and your own voice should sound weird, like it's coming from inside rather than outside..

Without that seal, the music will sound thin and weak, without much bass.

The only other problem I can think of is you're somehow playing so loud, that you're overpowering them. I'm not sure how you could manage that though! Maybe if the room is very small with concrete walls, the drums very loud, and you're hitting very very hard.

I have to put my drums through the mixer, otherwise they aren't loud enough.

If you are playing at some ridiculous volume the whole time, then you really need to fix that.. Dynamics are a must. I had to play an audition in someones living room the other day, and the vocalist had no microphone.. Unusual yes but it can happen!

whiteknightx

Silver Member
yeah there sounds like there are a few things going on. I'm going to agree with what was said before by others.
First off, OP, definitely should look into a hearing test.

I'd also try and take a drum lesson or something just to have someone judge if you are playing too loud or not. or go to an open mic and see how loud other drummers play compared to yourself.

Finally weird about the shure IEM's. I have the same pair and they are ok for me. I don't have them maxed out. Maybe you aren't getting them in far enough to seal correctly.

AndeeT

Unfortunately, universal in-ear monitors arent so universal.

For myself, my custom in-ear monitors provide a better seal than my shure 215s, and the seal on my customs isnt even perfect!

I think depending on your ear anatomy yiu can be worae or better off with universals. I would recommend custom moulded IEMs, and make sure you are firm with the comoany if they dont seal properly.

BillBachman

Gold Member
I'd say the in ear monitors are your answer. There are very few isolation headphones that truly isolate well enough to be effective. I'm sure that you can get some decent IEM's for under $100. They're worth it!

veecharlie

I have a problem hearing the music I'm playing along/practicing to for auditions over the drums.I constantly gotta stop to hear if I'm in time, playing the fills in the right spots&endings. I've just recently bought a pair of Shure SE215 but they're NOT loud enough even with volume turned way up,
Any advice, ideas&suggestions?,
As this problem's both annoying, disappointing & frustrating,
Not to mention losing me gigs! :(.
wow cranking the volume all the way up does not solve it anyways! you need to take care of your ears.. !!!!
I would recommend you to get a pair of "peltor" type for practice and later custom IEMs.
If you don't know much about hearing and drums I could redirect you to one of my videos (just to give you some guidace).
Please don't become deaf !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7iQix3U5Rs&t=2s

Bonzodownunder

Many&massive thanks to all for the advice/assistance&help,
I had a hearing test last week &i've NOT expereinced ANY loss of hearing at all! :).Prior my doctor cleaned my ears after using ear drops solidly for a week in both ears,
The audiologist advised&recomended in ear monitor plugs which she proceeeded to make&take a mold of ears &i'll have them in 2 weeks with 25DB filters!,
Hopefully etc i'll now be able to hear&listen to music clearly without risking hearing loss! :).

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I had a hearing test last week &i've NOT expereinced ANY loss of hearing at all! :).Prior my doctor cleaned my ears after using ear drops solidly for a week in both ears,
The audiologist advised&recomended in ear monitor plugs which she proceeeded to make&take a mold of ears &i'll have them in 2 weeks with 25DB filters!,
Hopefully etc i'll now be able to hear&listen to music clearly without risking hearing loss! :).
So she made custom molds to go on your SE215?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So she made custom molds to go on your SE215? I will also suggest checking what another member mentioned, make sure that the plug is fully inserted into the jack on your phone. If it doesn't fully seat you won't get good sound. I have to take my case off to plug it into my mixer or it doesn't give off the proper volume and sound.