Hearing drums through the FOH speakers

moxman

Silver Member
Just occurred to me a way to soundcheck the sound engineer..

- on my next gig I'm going to try setting up my Zoom recording device at the board during our soundcheck - so I can hear how the drums sound in the mix before we hit the stage. It captures a fairly accurate sound.. so at least I'll be able to hear what they are hearing at the back of the room... and make suggestions if needed.. or tweak my drums. My ears are much pickier than a lot of non-drummer sound techs.. it will be an interesting experiment.

I wouldn't leave the Zoom at the board for the gig as it's too easy for someone to walk off with it.. but for soundcheck it's no problem.

Usually I ask the guitar player to play the kit for a minute after sound check while I walk to the back of the room.. which is good, but he doesn't play like me - and usually does a hilarious one handed drum solo with one hand up in the air ...

yammyfan

My Zoom Q2n attenuates volume automatically so its usefulness is limited but I see what you're getting at. I'm not convinced that it's reliable enough for this kind of thing but as always, YMMV.

I'm not saying that you should back down from a fight but I've found most sound guys to be a bit grumpy and not real open to taking advice from the drummer - unless you've hired them yourself. I've always gotten the best service from them by being humble and pleasant. I just kinda put my faith in them and hope that it isn't misplaced.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A great tactic indeed. Big fan of the handhelds. My handheld has a choice between automatic levels and manual levels. I always have to use the manual settings and set my own levels.

The automatic leveling is not good for drumming evaluation purposes.

IBitePrettyHard

Exactly what @yammyfan said. Be aware that soundmen may or may not take suggestions well. Be tactful.

EXAMPLE: the soundman turns compression up to 11 making your Elvin Jones-style playing sound heavy, boxy and bland.....like you're attempting to play jazz on a Roland TD-4.

Tell him politely you're not like all the other Skynyrd cover bands.

V-Four

….

I'm not saying that you should back down from a fight but I've found most sound guys to be a bit grumpy and not real open to taking advice from the drummer - unless you've hired them yourself. I've always gotten the best service from them by being humble and pleasant...
Tru Dat. Especially if the fella sees what you're up too, as if you don't trust him to do his job. (I know, sound guys get a bad rap, but there could be a reason for this "Typical impression" people have of sound guys.)
as an aside, If you think they disregard tips or advice on running sound from a drummer, try dealing w/ a sound guy as the bass player.

"you're right sir, my tone does not matter, as I am just the bass player, not a real guitarist." ;)

Humble and pleasant is the best way to handle them IMO.

T.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
My handheld has a choice between automatic levels and manual levels. I always have to use the manual settings and set my own levels.

The automatic leveling is not good for drumming evaluation purposes.
I'm looking for a handheld camera and would think that a choice of sound leveling would be essential. What camera do you have, Larry?

GeeDeeEmm

donzo74

GoPro's have a great built-in mic. They are tiny and can be mounted on mic stands or clamped to just about anything if you get the clamp attachment. I've always been surprised at how good the sound is from the little on board microphone on mine, even in the protective plastic case.

moxman

Silver Member
re: grumpy sound guys and picking your battles.. I 'm going to try this at an upcoming gig where the soundguy is notoriously grumpy. I always stay on his good side - but he's probably used to dealing with grumpy bands LoL. I've heard stories ...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
As a sound guy, I’ve dealt with equally idiotic drummers too.

I brought this up in another thread too: as the drummer, how do you know what the house sounds like? Therefore, how could you even argue what you should sound like? I say just be pleasant and part of the team. Why make a four hour gig feel like a lifetime?

moxman

Silver Member
As a sound guy, I’ve dealt with equally idiotic drummers too.

I brought this up in another thread too: as the drummer, how do you know what the house sounds like? Therefore, how could you even argue what you should sound like? I say just be pleasant and part of the team. Why make a four hour gig feel like a lifetime?
You missed the point on my previous thread too.. and made a bunch of incorrect assumptions. I don't think anyone suggested arguing with the sound guy is a good idea.. or that sound techs are idiotic! Read before you write!

Last edited: