Headset Microphones for singing / playing drums

Kenny202

I've seen a couple of Shure headsets I am interested in, and they have a short lead with an XLR mic connector on them, which I assumed you could extend with a mic lead and plug directly into a PA, but I m being told by the retailer can only be used with a wireless set up? Anyone have any insight into this?

What is the specific model you are interested in? My quick review suggests some Shure headset mics have XLR connectors and thus would likely be able to go directly into a PA, with another XLR cable between. Other Shure headsets do look as though they are specifically for wireless systems. So I think it depends on the model.

Shure PGA31-TQG is one. It has the XLR cable but have had two retailers here in Thailand tell me they have to be used with a wireless system ....but don't seem to be able to tell me why. Ideally wireless would be better just plug into a pack on my belt but for now happy to just use it direct if possible and if suitable will make the extra expense later​

I just got on the Shure site and they say this headset can be used with an inline preamp. Not sure what voltage is required though. I think some lapel mics have 3v or something phantom power where proper studio condenser mic voltages higher 12v?

Question
What is required to use the following microphones as wired mics: PGA31, SM31FH, PG185, PG30?
Answer
An in-line preamp must be used. To operate, the preamp requires the microphone mixer to provide phantom power. Be certain that the microphone mixer has phantom power capability.

The Shure RK100PK preamp will work with these mic models.

In the states that model has a TAF4 connector, not an XLR. It is described as being for use with wireless packs.

Shure makes the WH20 which is a regular dynamic headset mic that terminates in a regular XLR. This mic plugs in to the board and does not require phantom power. Best option for wired models at only $90.

All others are for their wireless units, which even though I’m still playing drums, I like the wireless aspect. Because the mic usually goes on when I’m in the dressing room before we go to the stage.

Thanks bro. Yeah I would much prefer wireless but not sure how long this gig is going to last. May be a flash in the pan so don't want to invest too much. Also not sure how it will be for me using mic dynamics...obviously cant pull back or get closer. You are stuck with the position it is in. I guess you just have to control the strength of your voice accordingly.

Thanks bro. Yeah I would much prefer wireless but not sure how long this gig is going to last. May be a flash in the pan so don't want to invest too much. Also not sure how it will be for me using mic dynamics...obviously cant pull back or get closer. You are stuck with the position it is in. I guess you just have to control the strength of your voice accordingly.
Ah yes - you have to become a REAL singer 😉!

Another thing to think about: the footswitch that turns the mic on and off. Since you can’t get away from the mic, you use a footswitch to turn it on and off - generally another $100 or so to spend, but worth it.

Ah yes - you have to become a REAL singer 😉!

Another thing to think about: the footswitch that turns the mic on and off. Since you can’t get away from the mic, you use a footswitch to turn it on and off - generally another $100 or so to spend, but worth it.
Yeah that would be great, start cussing out the guitarist on stage or in the toilet aka Naked Gun lol

Back