Headset mic for death metal?

Goreliscious

Hey, can anyone recommend a headset mic for a death metal drummer doing backing screams/shouts? I don't want to get something naff and waste my money, but on the other hand I can't imagine I need something too posh cos I'm not "singing" into it.

I've tried a mic on a stand next to me but it doesn't work for me because half the time my head's pointing the wrong way as most of my vocal parts come in on fills/rolls and I'd rather be looking at what I'm doing to make sure I don't miss a cymbal etc.

Goreliscious

Eh? I don't get it.

I've tried the DIY route if that's what you're implying - I adapted a gas mask to take a small mic but it's too distracting wearing it.

A

audiotech

I adapted a gas mask to take a small mic but it's too distracting wearing it.
This made me chuckle, lol. In a costume sort of way, it seems like it would be right at home in certain venues.

More seriously now, a lot will depend on the amount you want to spend. You can get them from anywhere from $100 to $700 USD. Some names to look for are Audio-technica, Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, Samson and the top of the line, DPA. I really have no experience with someone really shouting into these tiny microphones for how well they will hold up to that type of punishment. I'm thinking death metal here although I could be wrong since I don't listen to or play it.

Dennis

A

audiotech

Think this one will be ok? http://www.dv247.com/microphones/shure-wh20-xlr-dynamic-headset-microphone--28803

It's a wired XLR model. I really don't want to mess about with a wireless system. I started looking into throat mics, (laryngophones), but I can't imagine they'd have as good a sound quality.
I'm not quite sure. I was looking for the SPL (sound pressure level) before distortion but the specs didn't mention it. Everything else looks good though.

Dennis

Goreliscious

Cheers. The drummer from Absu has a headset mic, but I can't for the life of me find out which make/model it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLEYvjUyixc

I played around with a SM57 on a boom yesterday, found a more comfortable position than I did before...now it's a toss up between a headset mic or a mini mic installed in the barrell of a replica gun. Decisions decisions.