Heads of choice

drummerstix_au

Hey everyone,

I am a Remo endorser, and I just recently switched heads on my kit. I put Black Suede Emps on my toms and a Powerstroke 777 on snare.... it really sounds amazing.

My kit is a Pearl Reference series...12 rack, 14 floor with a 14x5 sensitone snare.

What do you guys all use?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
It depends on if my drum set is going to be amplified or not.
If there will be microphones on my drums then I can use some heads that make my drums sound deep and full.
If I'm playing live with no amplification I use Evans G1 coated for batter heads and G1 clear for reso heads. Or, Remo ambassador's work good too.
I use a hazy 200 (2mil) head for my snare reso.

goodcat1337

White Suede Emperors on toms
Powerstroke on the snare
And an SKII on the kick, with a white Regulator on the reso if there's not already a white front reso head.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I'm fairly old school: coated ambassadors or emperors on tops of toms, clear ambassadors on bottoms, standard snare side on the snare, and a PS3 on the bass drum. As much as I like all the different models Remo makes, even in Los Angeles it's rare when I walk into a store and they have everything Remo makes in all the sizes I'd like. But Ambassadors and Emperors, are pretty much everywhere. The PS3 bass drum heads have also become ubiquitous!

I do have a PS3 Fiberskyn 3 on the front of my 26" bass drum, it's a cool visual vibe ;)

Bull

Gold Member
Toms- Coated Vintage Emperors over Coated Ambassodors
Snare- Coated Emperor with a black dot underneath or a CS Coated.
Kick- Coated PS4/Smooth White PS3

Sometimes i cheat on Remo and use an Aquarian SK2.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
My modern rock kit has clear Evans' on the toms, while my 60's kit has coated Remos. No particular reason, they just seem to suit each kit that way.

Destroyer772

Gold Member
I use a Powerstroke 77 on my Ludwig Black Magic 14x8. Yesterday I threw on a set of Puresound 20 strand twisted (40 strand total) that have been in a drawer for almost a year. I am very happy with the results, big, deep, fat, dark sound now with a whole lot more sensitivity. Will probably post a video review today, with a sound check. Here is a link to the wires.
http://www.interstatemusic.com/35195-PureSound-Twisted-Series-Snare-Wire-20-Double-Strand-14-Inch-T1420.aspx?sku=PB551T1420&source=Google+Base_CASCIO&source=Google+Base_Cascio&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase&rmatt=tsid:1014124|cid:632954535|agid:33094856882|tid:pla-188909004002|crid:114284717642|nw:g|rnd:14381913489062380257|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CjwKEAjw1qHABRDU9qaXs4rtiS0SJADNzJisElDoV5wPRriHaJebNFAnlbSMuKoTdqxRA7S2ABz43xoCPRTw_wcB

Icetech

Gold Member
I used black suede emps for a year and recently switched to Aquarian response 2's... never looking back. Am totally in love with aquarian :)

tcspears

Gold Member
I like the Modern Vintage line from Aquarian.

I've been using the stock snare that came with my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit, and that head makes it sound like a $2,000 snare.

I get compliments on it all the time, even people like Bob Moses will play on that snare and get excited about it. I always get questions about it, and I have to tell them it's just the stock snare, but that Modern Vintage head gives it a wonderful tone.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Church drum set: Pork Pie USA Customs

Evans EMAD on kick.

Aquarian Studio X on toms (Note: I don't like the sound of these behind the kit, but they sound like freakin' thunder in the house. I wear IEM's, so it doesn't matter what they sound like up close)

I use a Pearl Masters snare with an Evans coated reverse dot on the batter.

Travel Drumset one (for larger gigs) Ludwig Centennials

Powerstroke 3 on the kick. I don't like it, but I can't afford an Emad right now.

Toms: Remo Pinstripes (they actually sound GREAT on this kit. I never thought I'd like pinstripes again).

Snare (matches the kit): Remo coated CS black dot

Travel Drumset two (for smaller gigs): Basix Birch

Kick: I can't remember. The only thing I remember about it is that it has weatherstripping on it and has a Remo Kevlar patch on it.

Toms: Remo Ambassador single-ply coated

Snare (Pork Pie 13" snare that matches my set at church): Remo Ambassador single-ply coated

I want to get a couple of 20" Emads for my travel drumsets, but I just don't have an extra $60 lying around for heads that don't need to be replaced. I just try to make them work.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have had some Remo heads but normally use Evans. If they sound good on your drums then the brand doesn't matter.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Tama Rockstar Pro:
Coated Emps over Genera Reso (12,13,16)
Clear Powerstoke 3 batter, black ported EQ4 reso (22)

Ludwig Element Birch:
Clear Ambs over Clear stock Ludwig reso (12,16)
Stock Ludwig Batter, stock black unported Ludwig Reso (22)

Franken-Pearl (concert toms):
G14's w/ Sound rings on batters (13,16)
Clear Superkick II, black ported Amb reso (22)

Aren't you glad I shared?

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Yamaha Custom Recording
Aquarian Super 2 Clear with Studio-X Ring (12/13/14/16 batter)
Aquarian Classic Black (12/13/14/16 reso)
Aquarian Force I Clear (20, 22, 24 bass drum batter)
Aquarian Modern Vintage Felt Strip non-ported (20,22,24 bass drum reso)

Tama 20" Gong Bass Drum
22" Remo Clear Ambassador

Snares have a little bit of everything: Aquarian, Evans, Remo.
Different heads from each company. No hard fast rules here.
I use what sounds best on each snare.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I use Evans: G2s over G1s on the toms (I use coated G2s on my Ludwigs and clear G2s on my Yamahas). My snares all get coated Power Center Reverse Dot batters and Hazy 300 snaresides. The kick gets a clear EQ3 batter and an EQ3 front head (coated white for the Ludwig, black for the Yamahas).

gish

I've used Remo and Evans with great results. I see a lot of Remo vs Evans talk, but I love both and am currently using a mix of both.

Snare- Evans coated G2; been on there for a while, still sounds great but looking to try something different

toms- Remo coated Vintage Emperors/remo clear ambassadors; really liking this combo. I used clear G2s before this combo; loved the attack but wanted a bit more warmth. The vintage Emps give me the warmth I was looking for, along with nice stick attack (to my ear they have more attack than coated G2s I've used in the past)

bass drum- Evans EMAD/DrumArt Aquarian regulator custom logo head; the EMAD has been great. I always mic the kick when playing with my band; the EMAD is sort of a set it and forget it head; I always get a great sound through the PA with a minimum of fuss. Starting to crave a more open sound from the drivers seat, so may be going with an EQ3 or PS3 next time around.

I recently bought a used Acrolite with an Aquarian Texture Coated head on it; really like this head as well. I'd like to try more Aquarians, but the stores near me stock very few of their heads. They always have Superkicks, but I've hated those heads every time I played one.

STXBob

Gold Member
I like the Modern Vintage line from Aquarian.

I've been using the stock snare that came with my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit, and that head makes it sound like a $2,000 snare.

I get compliments on it all the time, even people like Bob Moses will play on that snare and get excited about it. I always get questions about it, and I have to tell them it's just the stock snare, but that Modern Vintage head gives it a wonderful tone.
I'm with you. I was a coated Remo/Evans user for years - single ply on snare and high toms, two-ply on floors. Then I tried a MV1 on my BoB snare on a whim and DAYUM. So I decided to try MV2s on my toms. Sold. The tone I've been searching for. I still use a coated EMAD on my kick, because I'm not impressed with the Aquarian kick heads. But I'm totes in <3 with the Modern Vintage heads.

Now if I could only convince Dale's to stock Aquarian. I have a gig tonight and needed a snare head, and they only had the various Evans flavors. So I just got a G1. Ah, well. I'll live.

drumsforlife

On my 68 Ludwigs I'm currently using:
Toms (13 & 16): coated Vintage A's over clear G1s
Kick (22): Clear EMAD2, coated Ambassador front (no hole, felt strip)
Supraphonic 6.5x14: coated Emperor over Ambassador Hazy.
Palmetto 5x14 maple snare w/ wood hoops: coated Ambassador over Ambassador hazy (still playing with this one)

I love the fullness and warmth of the Vintage As on the thin shell drums.