Heads for the big kick

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
Have a birch 22x17 with clear eq4 batter and a ported eq3 coated reso head.

Added a 24x15 Birch drum and have been undecided on heads. Coated Emp batter/ Coated Ambassadors reso? Black dot batter/ clear reso tony william style? Evans calftone Buddy style?

Definitely want to go unported and be distinct from the 22

Do you run those drums ported or unported? What reso head?
Unported - I can't stand the dead sound of a port. For reso, I use a PS3 equivalent, something single ply with a light ring on the inside to control any extensive ring from the reso head.

Bear in mind that the only live playing I am doing is not close micd, like I'm lucky if I get a couple of overheads and one on the bass drum so I need to fullness and projection of a 'lively' bass drum.

If I was ever playing a large venue that justified close mics on every drum, I would probably run a standard ported reso with the mic inside the drum. One can dream. :)

You didn't mention what type of sound you're looking for, or what type of music you intend to play with this drum.
Recommendations need to take these things into account.

It's for studio use. No specific players sound in mind. Big 70's rock is the idea but "some" level of adjustability would be nice.

It's for studio use. No specific players sound in mind. Big 70's rock is the idea but "some" level of adjustability would be nice.
There are several videos of Steve Smith playing a bass drum with just felt strips for muffling. That's what came to mind when you posted your question. He bounces the beater, doesn't bury it. I think that's the best way to play an un-ported-reso-head bass drum. There's much less chance for the beater to dribble on the batter head.

Let us know what you decide!

Batter: coated Ambassador with felt strip OR coated Emperor without a strip.
Reso: Fiberskyn Ambassador, with a felt strip only if needed (preferably without)
Inside: a KickPro weighted kick drum pillow (not touching either head) to soak up any errant frequencies bouncing around in there.

Inside: a KickPro weighted kick drum pillow (not touching either head) to soak up any errant frequencies bouncing around in there.
It also heavily dampens shell vibrations, making for a tighter sound.

There are several videos of Steve Smith playing a bass drum with just felt strips for muffling. That's what came to mind when you posted your question. He bounces the beater, doesn't bury it. I think that's the best way to play an un-ported-reso-head bass drum. There's much less chance for the beater to dribble on the batter head.

Let us know what you decide!
^^^^ This, if you're going unported. Whenever I play an unported kick, I have to play heel down in order to bounce the beater off the head. But normally I play heel up (and with a ported kick).

I have been very happy with an Evans EQ4 (frosted) on the batter side tuned about as low as I can get it where there is still some tone/sustain at each lug. Then I use an un-ported single ply head for the resonant side, which I tune about medium and will increase the tension on that until I am happy with the sound in the room.

I have a coated PS3 batter & an Ambaddasdor smooth white unported on front of my 24 x14" Big low end sound from the Yamaha Hybrid Maple.
I think I have settled on either 2ply coated batter and 1 ply coated or a clear EQ4 batter with a smooth white EQ3 reso. Both very Bonzo from different eras. I am not going to know for sure until I try them. Just looking for deals now

I am also thinking my 20" will get Calftones front and back eventually too. No reason for that drum to sound like the 22's either

Evans EQ3 coated for batter . all Evans all the time i have it on my 20" Maple and it sounds awesome with one felt strip and nothing else

Back