Heads for Pearl Vision

Treverer

Hi guys, hope you can help me here.

I just bought a Pearl Vision that stood in a basement for a couple years, because a teenager gave up drumming after a few months. I guess it is about 10 years old and still has the stock heads (Pearl Protone, basically untouched. 2 ply, maybe even hydraulics, there seems to be some kind of liquid between the plies).
In my practice room the drums sound decent, but I guess the age of the drumheads and the fact that they've been under tension for so long without being played justifies a swap. The room I'm drumming in is around 25 square metres (270 square feet) and as off now, without sound treatment and a relatively low ceiling. I thought about a head that shortens the sustain in order to minimize the reverb a bit while giving me a nice attack on the birch shells. Maybe some (frosted) EC2s, at least that's what I came up with when I searched drumheadauthority.com?

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

V-Four

.. coated G2’s all work well on birch drums if you’re after a deep, controlled sound.
^^ this^^
That's how I roll. I love me some coated G2s:

If you want to shorten the "sustain" a lil there's also these:
Especially if playin in a room with just drums- no other instruments (If you like that, of course).

Not sure what drum sizes you have, but they got em for most drum sizes.

T.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I like the coated Powerstroke3. It has a richie ring (e-ring) built onto it. Dampens the sustain a little more than just your standard 2 ply (Emperor/G2) but not as extreme as going to the Pinstripe/Hydraulic.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I had a birch/basswood Vision. I tried the two ply of 7 mil with overtone ring Pinstripes, Hydraulics, various 10 mil coated and uncoated, various coated and uncoated 7 mil two ply heads, but the compromise of two ply one 7.5mil and the other 3 mil Coated Vintage Ambassadors sounded best to my ears-the pinstripes second, If want it to be quiet thud with no tone or any recognizable drum sound go with the hydraulics LOL. I liked the Evans EQ3 on the bass drum heads clear reso, coated batter-put a small pillow or towel in it. But to each their own. Get it tuned up it will sound great-my son-in-law has my old kit and every time I play it I'm like dang I don't remember it sounding this good LOL.

trickg

Silver Member
Pinstripes, clear G2’s and coated G2’s all work well on birch drums if you’re after a deep, controlled sound.
That's pretty much exactly what I was going to suggest. You "could" swap out resos too - I'd go with clear G1s or clear Ambassadors.

On my birch drumset I found Suede Emperors to sound superb. That was with clear Amba resos.
You know, I think the next time I get heads I'm going to try Suede Emperors. I have yet to try them, but the people who use them seem to love them. Treverer, this might be a good choice too - they'll be similar in construction to Coated G2s.

Also, if you want that deep, thuddy kick, get an Evans EMAD, port the front head, and add some light dampening in the drum.

Treverer

Thanks for all your constructive answers! Coated G2s over G1s are definitely in the mix now. Any opinions on the EC2s with the birch kit (8/10/12/14/16)?

donzo74

+1 for the Coated G2 over clear G1 combo. I tried the EC2's on a few kits and wasn't a big fan with that head on toms, but I used the clear ones. I do currently have a coated EC2 on a snare drum and that sounds pretty darn good, though.

trickg

Silver Member
Thanks for all your constructive answers! Coated G2s over G1s are definitely in the mix now. Any opinions on the EC2s with the birch kit (8/10/12/14/16)?
I've personally never liked EC2s because for me on my kit, I always felt they were hard to tune. To be fair, the last time I used them was prior to obtaining a Tune-Bot - I probably wouldn't have that issue now. I've never had issues getting Pinstripes in tune though. Currently my practice kit is sporting clear Pinstripes - I've probably used more Pinstripes over the years than any other heads for toms.

You could try EC2s - when they are in tune, they really do sound nice.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've used clear and coated EC2's on a Mapex Meridian Birch set. They highlight that "scooped EQ" sound birch is known for and give you a really clean tom sound. I prefer the clear, but my coated heads were from back when Evans had a problem with coating going tacky over time, so my opinion is strongly colored by that.

Aquarian Performance II and Remo Pinstripe are both pretty similar sound-wise and I've had better results from both of those, if you're open to other brands

trickg

Silver Member
I've used clear and coated EC2's on a Mapex Meridian Birch set. They highlight that "scooped EQ" sound birch is known for and give you a really clean tom sound. I prefer the clear, but my coated heads were from back when Evans had a problem with coating going tacky over time, so my opinion is strongly colored by that.

Aquarian Performance II and Remo Pinstripe are both pretty similar sound-wise and I've had better results from both of those, if you're open to other brands
I've used Performance II tom heads twice - each time I thought they were just a bit too dampened and dark for my tastes, but they'll definitely give you that studio-esque sound. I mean, I didn't hate them, I just went back to Pinstripes, which for me always seemed to be just about the right mix.

yammyfan

I've never had issues getting Pinstripes in tune though. Currently my practice kit is sporting clear Pinstripes - I've probably used more Pinstripes over the years than any other heads for toms.
I've messed around with a bunch of different clear and coated heads over the years and keep coming back to clear Pinstripes. There's just something "right" about those heads :)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've used Performance II tom heads twice - each time I thought they were just a bit too dampened and dark for my tastes, but they'll definitely give you that studio-esque sound. I mean, I didn't hate them, I just went back to Pinstripes, which for me always seemed to be just about the right mix.
I agree, though they are the closest thing Aquarian makes to a Pinstripe-type head. On lively drums (my Mapex kit had sharp double 45 bearing edges) I liked that little extra bit of darkness. I'm really into Aquarian in general right now but a friend got some Pinstripes a while back and they seemed a lot more lively than I remember them being in the 90s when I last tried them. I'm also a big Vintage Emperor fan too.

Treverer

I've personally never liked EC2s because for me on my kit, I always felt they were hard to tune. To be fair, the last time I used them was prior to obtaining a Tune-Bot - I probably wouldn't have that issue now.
I'm not (yet!) the best tuner, since I'm still a beginner, but I thought the EC2s are known to tune pretty easily? If that's not the case, G2s over G1 it is, otherwise I will order and test both.

And once again, thank you all for your answers!

yammyfan

I'm not (yet!) the best tuner, since I'm still a beginner, but I thought the EC2s are known to tune pretty easily? If that's not the case, G2s over G1 it is, otherwise I will order and test both.

And once again, thank you all for your answers!
I cannot recommend the Tune-Bot highly enough. Your drums will sound professionally tuned, and stay that way. It's a godsend for drummers of any stripe.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
On my Vision kit (12/13/16/22) I went with the usual coated Emperors on top, and Ambassadors on bottoms with a PS3 batter on the bass drum and the kit sounds good. I'm sure if I used ambassadors on top the kit would just be more ringy.