Heads for Ludwig Supraphonic

Silver’n’Smac

Yeah, that's the original batter head, and after five years I'd think it's had a good long life. Five years is a good long time for a bottom head to last, too, so I'd go ahead and change both of them. Get a bottle of 3-In-One oil for like five bucks and lube up every moving part on the drum, too; especially the snare throwoff. People complain about P-85s, but really all they need is some oil every decade or so. I'm also partial to snare cord over straps; it's a little more flexible, so you can have the snares tighter, but they don't choke the bottom head so much. Those three changes and some good tuning will make your Supra as good as any.
Huge help man - thanks. So I’ll go with the heavy coated ambassador top and hazy bottom and try the oil. I didn’t understand your comment about the snare “cord over straps”. The snare wires I have are these:

And if you don’t mind giving your opinion on the rest of the heads I’m thinking of going with (with my type of music in mind):

- Rack & floor Tom’s: Clear Evans G2’s for tops and G1’s for bottoms

- Bass drum: Clear Evans EMAD2
Thoughts?

Thanks again.

dwsabianguy

Huge help man - thanks. So I’ll go with the heavy coated ambassador top and hazy bottom and try the oil. I didn’t understand your comment about the snare “cord over straps”. The snare wires I have are these:

And if you don’t mind giving your opinion on the rest of the heads I’m thinking of going with (with my type of music in mind):

- Rack & floor Tom’s: Clear Evans G2’s for tops and G1’s for bottoms

- Bass drum: Clear Evans EMAD2
Thoughts?

Thanks again.

I just meant that I prefer the sound of snare cord, as opposed to a mylar strap holding the snare wires in place. I think Blasters come with a strap, but they're designed for that. Honestly I think the stock chrome Ludwig snare wires sound great, though I use VF/Canopus Vintage wires on most of my drums.

The rest of your heads seem like solid choices. For my taste, though, you can't beat a Remo Powerstroke 3 for the kick batter. Clear for punch, coated for some extra 'poof.' 2-ply heads don't give me the woody attack I like out of kicks, it's a brighter attack with a different shape of low end. Hard to describe, really, but single ply heads are a chestier sound in my opinion.

Silver’n’Smac

Yeah, that's the original batter head, and after five years I'd think it's had a good long life. Five years is a good long time for a bottom head to last, too, so I'd go ahead and change both of them. Get a bottle of 3-In-One oil for like five bucks and lube up every moving part on the drum, too; especially the snare throwoff. People complain about P-85s, but really all they need is some oil every decade or so. I'm also partial to snare cord over straps; it's a little more flexible, so you can have the snares tighter, but they don't choke the bottom head so much. Those three changes and some good tuning will make your Supra as good as any.

Hey, you've been a big help! Last question (I hope). . . .I'm going to get the Remo Powerstroke P3 (instead of the Evans EMAD2) and I was about to get the clear but it sounds like the clear would be better for a live environment? I'm playing in a very tightly-insulated 7 ft. x 8 ft. x 7 ft (high) drum room that I built. Given that, would the coated Powerstroke P3 make more sense? Or should I just match all of my toms which are going to be clear G2's? (Snare will still be the cloated Remo Ambassador & Hazy). Sorry for all the questions!

Fritz Frigursson

Hey, you've been a big help! Last question (I hope). . . .I'm going to get the Remo Powerstroke P3 (instead of the Evans EMAD2) and I was about to get the clear but it sounds like the clear would be better for a live environment? I'm playing in a very tightly-insulated 7 ft. x 8 ft. x 7 ft (high) drum room that I built. Given that, would the coated Powerstroke P3 make more sense? Or should I just match all of my toms which are going to be clear G2's? (Snare will still be the cloated Remo Ambassador & Hazy). Sorry for all the questions!
get clear PS3 or clear EMAD1