Heads for 80's Ludwig Power Toms

EDrums

I am looking to replace my original silver dot heads from my 80's ludwig set with double headed power toms. I am looking for a more melodic sound than what the original heads provided. Does anybody have a tried and true combination? Thanks.

Wow, you've had those heads on there for 20+ years!?! That's amazing!

I was going to suggest Ludwig Rocker Silver Dots when I read the thread title (and still think new ones would do your toms justice), but since that's not what you want, I'd just put coated emperors top with clear ambassadors bottom. That would keep the beef and open them up.

But that's just me.

I don't think you could go wrong with a White Coated Remo Emperor on the batter side and a Coated ambasador on the resonant side. I have that combination on my 80's Ludwig Power Tom 13"X14" and it has a Nice warm tone.

I'd just put coated emperors top with clear ambassadors bottom. That would keep the beef and open them up.

I recommend that combination of heads as well-- used them for a couple of years so far with good results. I've had the same set of Remo coated Emperor batter heads on my toms for almost 8 months, and they still sound awesome, with not even a dent in them. If you wanted a little more warmth or a different look, you could put Smooth White or Ebony Ambassadors on the resonant sides of the drums.

Thank you all so much. This forum is great for this kind of thing. Especially since replacing the heads on 6 toms aint cheap !

EDrums You can by packages on the internet. They come in like 12",13",16" for the toms and 3 packs of 14" for the snare. which could also be used for a 14" tom. Depending on what sizes you have.

Back