Heads for 80s Acrolite

bodhran

I've got an '84-'85 Ludwig Acrolite: the type with the gray hammered paint finish.

The batter head is a Ludwig Rockers - Heavy Coated. The snare head is a Resonant Snare extra thin clear. I hear they no longer make that particular line of heads?
The drum sounds killer but I need to replace the batter head.

My question is, what would be comparable heads in the modern drum head brands?

Last edited:
I've got an '83-'84 Ludwig Acrolite: the type with the gray hammered paint finish.

The batter head is a Ludwig Rockers - Heavy Coated. The snare head is a Resonant Snare extra thin clear. I hear they no longer make that particular line of heads?
The drum sounds killer but I need to replace the batter head.

My question is, what would be comparable heads in the modern drum head brands?
Again, the same prescriptions many offered for the Slingerland you recently posted will work on the Acrolite. Also, please search the forum on this ubiquitous drum, as there are numerous threads about it. FWIW, I roll with Evans G1 over hazy 300.

Again, the same prescriptions many offered for the Slingerland you recently posted will work on the Acrolite. Also, please search the forum on this ubiquitous drum, as there are numerous threads about it. FWIW, I roll with Evans G1 over hazy 300.
Not looking for different head suggestions. Looking for modern head equivalents for the Ludwig branded heads.

Last edited:
Well, aren't Ludwig Weather Master heads still available for order? I'd tend to think that would be the closest modern equivalent.

Otherwise, I'd say to go with either an Aquarian Texture Coated single ply, or an Evans Coated G1 - both of those heads have fairly heavy coating - from my observation it's heavier than what you get on regular Remo heads. Otherwise try a Remo Vintage Ambassador - the coating is different on the Vintage line.

For the snare side, I'd think that the closest equivalent would be a Remo Diplomat snare side. It's going to be clear and thin - that would probably get you close to what you are looking for.

Well, aren't Ludwig Weather Master heads still available for order? I'd tend to think that would be the closest modern equivalent.

Otherwise, I'd say to go with either an Aquarian Texture Coated single ply, or an Evans Coated G1 - both of those heads have fairly heavy coating - from my observation it's heavier than what you get on regular Remo heads. Otherwise try a Remo Vintage Ambassador - the coating is different on the Vintage line.

For the snare side, I'd think that the closest equivalent would be a Remo Diplomat snare side. It's going to be clear and thin - that would probably get you close to what you are looking for.

Good advice. The Acro is already slightly dry sounding so a thin to medium single ply head might be good. For me, I like a coated Ambassador top / Diplomat (or Ambassador) bottom on my '68 Acro. It gives the drum balance to my ears. If you want it a little more funky/dead/70s sounding, try a CS reverse dot.

Good luck!

Closest to what was on there would be an Ambassador coated or G1 on top, and a Diplomat, or Hazy 200 bottom. Your choice. Done deal.

Ludwig Rockers "Heavy Coated" heads aren't heavy at all, they're supposedly 10 mil.....the same as medium weight Ambassador Coated and G1 coated.

Get an Ambassador coated or G1 coated, you'll never notice the difference between those and the Rockers Heavy Coated. :)

Ludwig Rockers "Heavy Coated" heads aren't heavy at all, they're supposedly 10 mil.....the same as medium weight Ambassador Coated and G1 coated.

Get an Ambassador coated or G1 coated, you'll never notice the difference between those and the Rockers Heavy Coated. :)
Sounds good! I'll give it a try.

+1

Back