heads for 16inch bass drum

theuntitleddrummer

head choices for the 16 inch bass drum converted. It was a floor tom and i cant put bass heads because of the rim. Any combinations you tried out that worked. I'm trying to get a deeper tone. Also is it good to port the bass drum?

The first time I converted an 18" floor tom into a bass drum I used a regular ol' pinstripe head and talk about a thump and resonance! It was great. I would imagine a 16" would be the same effect. However, unless you plan on miking the drum up, I wouldn't port the front. Play it wide open because at 5 feet in front of the drum, The audience won't get any ring you might be hearing from behind it.

The first time I converted an 18" floor tom into a bass drum I used a regular ol' pinstripe head and talk about a thump and resonance! It was great. I would imagine a 16" would be the same effect. However, unless you plan on miking the drum up, I wouldn't port the front. Play it wide open because at 5 feet in front of the drum, The audience won't get any ring you might be hearing from behind it.

A pinstripe would be a great choice. You might even try an emperor for a really open sound. I wouldn't do anything with much muffling because of the small size.

I'm about to replace the head on my 16" BD, and I think I'm going to use an Evans EC2.
I bet it's going to sound great.

I was going to suggest the Evans EC2, but you beat me to it. Peace and goodwill.

I'm with Bo. Ambassadors will give it a loud, bright punch with (EDIT:) maybe a felt strip. I got a free Ebony Pinstripe 16" BD head in a mix-up with Musician's Friend. Two actually, but I sold one. I'd use that just because I'm cheap and I wouldn't buy new heads. Stock resonant heads are cool with me.

Last edited:
I use a clear PS3 for the batter and a coated PS3 on the front of my 16. No addtional muffling is needed. You can tune it up for tone or down for thump. Either way it still has punch; more when tuned down.

Back