Headphone Amps

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Quick question. After a 25 year hiatus from playing in a cover band I have a gig this weekend! I have a set of Alclair custom IEM's i've used the past couple years at church and want to use them this weekend. So I purchased a Behringer P2 personal amp. My question for those that have used headphone amps is do I need to grab an aux send or headphone signal from the board or can I make it the end of a daisy chain for the floor wedges?

fl.tom

Congratulations on your gig. You want a balanced "line level" signal (+4 dBu) from your mixing board into the P2. An aux send or similar should provide this as long as it's "before" any amplification in the signal chain. Best of luck!

JustJames

Platinum Member
I daisy chain my Behringer P1 off an active wedge (so I get an unamplified signal!) and that works well for me.

Using Shure SE215's I found that the more isolating foam olives took away too much ambient sound, as I play with a mic on BD only, and occasionally a mic to pick up the rack toms. If all of your drums are mic'd that won't be an issue though.

fl.tom

I daisy chain my Behringer P1 off an active wedge (so I get an unamplified signal!) and that works well for me.
This also works because the pass thru is still a line level signal. Just don't want to daisy chain off a passive monitor with an amplified speaker level signal.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I like that little Behringer P1, but I've been using a Yamaha MG06 tiny mixing board - then it can take signal from anywhere, and I have EQ control too. Plus, I can run an ambient mic which I'v found necessary when I wear my IEM's (Ultimate Ears) as they block out everything else except what's coming through them. They're too efficient!

trickg

Silver Member
My foray into building a viable IEM setup so that I could use in-ears and add a click track for a praise team I was working with opened my eyes up to a lot of things, and two things in particular:

1.) the difference between speaker level and line level signal
2.) the importance of having a limiter in the chain to protect your ears

I found that the biggest issue was getting a system where I could take any signal from any source and make it work. As a guy who subbed around at a lot of different churches, I'd have everything from XLR to 1/4", both speaker level and line level.

I used an ART HeadTap at the beginning of my signal chain, and I always brought along cables and adapters to take whatever the signal was to convert it to 1/4". From there, I ran it through an FMR RNC compressor, which was my limiter. This saved me more than once where something would happen that caused a feedback spike. People on the stage were plugging their ears, but all I got was the tone - not the spike in volume. The compressor took care of that.

Finally I'd run it into small Behringer mixer - the smallest little Xenyx mixer they made. That was where I was mixing in my click from my Yamaha Clickstation.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a Rockbox Limiter from RockOn Audio. Now they have two version of that - one is the original RockBox, the other is what is called the Tasty Blender, which is a small unit that would have let me do everything my setup did.

I have at times only used the ART HeadTap if all I needed was an in-ears mix. As long as I can convert the signal to 1/4", it will take either line level or amplified signal and take it down to headphone or line level. Line level signal gets passed through without attenuation. My only issue with the ART HeadTap is that there is no on-board limiting to catch those signal spikes. So far (knock on wood) I've never had a spike when I was only using that, and I intend to get a RockBox Limiter at some point.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Thanks guys, I'll pull a line level signal. The P2 is nice in that it takes XLR or TRS and it has a limiter in it for those dreaded spikes. Never had to worry about this when I was playing out years ago as we just used wedges. Now that I've seen the wonders and experienced the wonders of custom IEM's I don't want to use wedges again LOL. The church I played at we used an aviom system which was a mini mixing board basically. Choose what you want to hear , mute what you don't and adjust volumes. I have an L12 I could take out but I really don't want to transport that to gigs right now.

trickg

Silver Member
I like the idea of the Behringer P2. It's compact and it's inexpensive, and I could easily pair that with my ART HeadTap if for the times I needed to deal with an amplified signal - I'd basically have the nuts and bolts of the RockBox Limiter, albeit not in as elegant of a package. It seems to have just what it needs where it counts.