Headphone amplifier vs headphone out on mixer

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Hey guys,

Is there benefit/reason to use a headphone amplifier instead of using the headphone jack built into a mixer? This will only have my drums running through the board and the mixer is by me so I have complete control over volumes.

Aren't there typically there are more headphone jacks on a headphone amp so that more than one person can use headphones and hear the exact same thing?

Aren't there typically there are more headphone jacks on a headphone amp so that more than one person can use headphones and hear the exact same thing?

Yes but it will be just for me. Didn't know if there was a benefit to using one or not.

Yes? Is the answer. It depends is the real answer. Usually stand-alone units offer better audio quality but also are able to output at the right Ohm rating for some headphones. If you look at certain studio headphones, they often have two versions. One of those is to be used on 'standard' outputs, another on headphone amplifiers. My AKG K701s are ideally paired with a high-quality amplifier because their Ohm rating is high.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

Yes? Is the answer. It depends is the real answer. Usually stand-alone units offer better audio quality but also are able to output at the right Ohm rating for some headphones. If you look at certain studio headphones, they often have two versions. One of those is to be used on 'standard' outputs, another on headphone amplifiers. My AKG K701s are ideally paired with a high-quality amplifier because their Ohm rating is high.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

Hey Duncan, thanks!

I'm running Westone In ears

Had a quick look. Roughly around the 20-30 Ohm range, which is relatively low impedence. In terms of getting the maximum output (note I didn't say audio quality) from them, you won't need an amplifier. It also depends on what your desk is like - some will have a high-impedence headphone output anyway!

The good news for you is that your in-ears are rated for pretty much any mobile device, which tend to be the ones that are mismatched. Your in-ears will produce their designed output with iPods, laptops, etc without any need for an amp.

What is a good headphone amp? I have an 8 channel behringer and it SUCKS. The one stereo side stopped working very early on.

Back