Head Suggestions 2010 Maple Custom Absolute Nouveaus

Stefan Brodsky

Do any of you have any head suggestions re: the 2nd rack- 9" x 12" and 14" x 14" floor? These are 4 year old MCANs. Am looking for a bit less ring on the larger toms, as I play a lot of old school R & B. Currently have Coated Aquarian Performance IIs on the 12" and 14". The 12" is too dead, while the 14" isn't quite dead enough, though it's not bad. Go figure- though I suspect I'm going to get a bit more ring on the floor, considering it's depth. Have kept a coated Ambassador over a Clear Ambassador the smaller 10" rack and it's close to perfect. Have been thru Coated Ambassadors over Clear Ambassadors, Black Suede Ambassadors and Evans EC2 Clear/360s. Am thinking of trying an Aquarian Response II at least for the 12", but am open to any and all suggestions as I try to dial these in. Thanks.

Attachments

• 931405_10151499265738871_1877993063_n.jpg
    931405_10151499265738871_1877993063_n.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 202

Dutch

Nice drums! Have you tried Aquarian Studio-X coated? I have them on my RCs and am really happy with them.

Dutch

Stefan Brodsky

Thanks Dutch. I've heard they are good heads. There are just so many nuances from the varied heads and manufacturers that it gets too expensive experimenting.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've got some BCAN'S my 14 is the same as you describe your's be to be. I put a super 2 on the reso side, and that tamed it a little. Right now I've got a ambassador X on the batter side. I think I'm gonna try a coated super 2 with the studio ring or what ever it's called, for the batter. You might try a 2 ply as a reso. I got that idea from someone here on DW. Several people chimed in and said they do that on their Fl. toms. I've got clear super 2's on my 10 and 12 with ambassador resos.

Stefan Brodsky

Thanks Lefty. Posted in another thread area as well (Gear/Heads & Sticks) and the Super 2s were suggested, as were the Response 2s and even a thicker (12 mil) one ply. I like the idea of a thicker reso, which may cut down on the FT ring. As you know the Yammies at our product levels are super resonant. I don't know about you, but I use a small pillow in the kick, even with an Emad, because of that as well. I've never been a ring-y kinda bass drum guy anyway. Picked up a Danmar hard felt beater last week and and it is sweet.