Head suggestion for Flat Drums

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hello everyone,
for practical reason you may guess, I play more and more on my Arbiter Flat pro. I bought it cheap few years ago, it still has its original skin set (Pinstripe on toms and Powerstroke on BD) and I would like to change them. Sizes are standard 22 - 10 12 14 : the 10 and 12 sound really Rototom like, and I don't dig it.

Arbiter flat is a strange beast with only one tuning screw and a "shell" of three centimeters deep.

I was wondering which head woud be ideal, to gain depth - lets say -, and because of the tuning system, maybe some type of collar would be more efficient than another.

Here is a picture of an Arbiter Flat :
arbiter-flats-pro-987823.jpg

I think most of those I have seen have pinstripes on them. But maybe a Remo CS, with the black dot, would open them up a bit. I say this because I have seen quite a few guys with concert toms using the CS heads.

I think most of those I have seen have pinstripes on them. But maybe a Remo CS, with the black dot, would open them up a bit. I say this because I have seen quite a few guys with concert toms using the CS heads.

Remo CS on flats makes me think of Rototoms ; I have never played fresh CS ; how did you find the sound ?

Your best bet is to buy a couple heads for 1 drum and try it and see how each sounds. Might find a PS3 or 4 will sound good, Emperor, maybe even a coated head.

I have a rhythm traveller set with very shallow concert toms. I prefer clear pinstripes - a deeper tone with just enough life to the sound, tuned medium or low.

If you want to avoid that roto-tom sound, I'd go with some kind of muffled head. Personally, I'd try a an Evans Hydraulic or a Remo PS 4.

When I still had my Rhythm Travellers, I found a 2 ply coated helped inject a little more body into the sound. I don't know how applicable that experience is going to be towards your flats.

I think you're right about coated heads, so I hang on coated PS3 or coated pinstripe.

You probably want to minimize attack, so stay away from clear heads. Try the Remo Suede, White Suede, or Black Suede. They all come in Ambassador or Emperor weights. I'd go for the Emperor.

This is the only time I may suggest Evans Hydraulic heads if you're close-micd. I had a buddy call me over to help him get a set of Trapps A400 drums ready to gig. The 10, 12 snare, and 14 had Pinstripes, but the 12 tom had a 15 yo hydraulic. That was the only one that resembled depth under close mics. I swapped the 12 snare head with a coated G1, the kick got a clear PS3 batter and a coated Ambassador reso. I put Remo Vintage Emperor on the toms and they sounded amazing with overheads and a kick mic.

Indeed, Vintage A or Vintage Emp are very good to warm up a drum, I have a battered Vintage A 14", I should try it on the "floor" tom. Sure enough I'll go coated all over the place.

Back