Head Recommendations for 1958 WFL "Duco" Snare

bodhran

Looking for recommendations for batter and snare heads for a 5.5x14" '58 "Duco" snare drum.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0434 (2).JPG
    IMG_0434 (2).JPG
    851.6 KB · Views: 7
For a vintage sound, real calf skin heads. They can de-tune in record time with temp or humidity changes. That's what that drum probably had in it's formative years.

For a modern sound, Evans G1 coated or your favorite modern snare batter head.

The bottom just a regular 3 mil snare side. Maybe a Remo Renaissance 3 mil (ambassador) head for a different vibe.

Kinda depends on what your after tone-wise, vintage, modern, a mix...

What are you after?

Last edited:
For a vintage sound, real calf skin heads. They can de-tune in record time with temp or humidity changes. That's what that drum probably had in it's formative years.

For a modern sound, Evans G1 coated or your favorite modern snare batter head.

The bottom just a regular 3 mil snare side. Maybe a Remo Renaissance 3 mil (ambassador) head for a different vibe.

Kinda depends on what your after tone-wise, vintage, modern, a mix...

What are you after?
Tried Fiberskyn top and bottom and it sounded like a$$.
Presently have a UV1 batter and a clear 300 under. Not too bad...
Maybe these were never good sounding drums?
Just want a good basic snare drum sound for general drumming/acoustic jamming.

Well, back in the day, it was probably a decent sound ..... but our "modern" ears have become accustom to what, some 10,000 snare choices. It is a 6 lugger, correct? So even at this period the Ludwig Student concert model was an 8 lugger. And there was the "Buddy Rich" model Super Classic up at the top of the line.

Personally, I like the Evans Genera HD Dry .... I run one of those on my Pearl Omar Hakim sig. snare (mahogany shell) .... but no way of telling what it wound sound like on that WFL.

Last edited:
I had a 6 lug Ludwig Pioneer that made a great snom (snare/tom) in the floor tom position. It handled low tuning, and really only low and low-mid tuning, very well. Ambassador batter/hazy

Back