Head Recommendations - Birch Tamas

River19

Been playing my 8,10,12,14 2003 SC Performers as a 12/14 1up/1down setup for several months now and I'll admit with these drums I have always been a plain vanilla Pinstripe guy......Evans Genera G1s on the bottom....

I don't have any complaints on the sound per se but now with only the 12 and 14 "in play" I can cheaply play around with some other head combos, who knows maybe something will blow my hair back.....

I've never been an Ambassador fan and I was thinking of giving something from the Evans line a run.....

I'm mostly a classic rock guy at this point, so everything from Motown to Zeppelin to Jackson Browne and plenty of country thrown in like Sturgill etc.

Give me some ideas on combos to run........and why......

Thanks

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I use coated ambassadors as my batters and coated diplomats for my reso's on my birch Yamaha kit. I use coated ambassador Xs for my floor toms to control the sound a little bit. I play the exact same stuff you do, R&B, Blues, Country, Motown. I get a really warm full sound out of my toms, and it's my favorite combo so far. Plenty of resonance, a lot of power, but still very musical.

River19

I use coated ambassadors as my batters and coated diplomats for my reso's on my birch Yamaha kit. I use coated ambassador Xs for my floor toms to control the sound a little bit. I play the exact same stuff you do, R&B, Blues, Country, Motown. I get a really warm full sound out of my toms, and it's my favorite combo so far. Plenty of resonance, a lot of power, but still very musical.
Interesting.....20 years ago I was convinced I would destroy Ambassadors and haven't been back since......I was always pinstripes and Emperors but.....everything mellows with time......

I may grab a couple coated ambassadors to throw into the experiment.....

Thanks, looking for another combo or two to try.....

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Try coated G2s over G1s and go from there.

Actually, I like clear Ambs on my birch kit. I use True Tone muffling gels on it too - a small one for the 12" tom and 14" snare drum, & a large one for the 16"FT.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I recently picked up some of the same drums, same yr. I put coated G2s over clear G1s on the 10 and 12. The 14 still has clear G2 factory head, kick has original batter too. I think they had a pretty easy life. The original heads are still in good shape. I had a Birch high end Yamy kit and I liked Aquarian super 2 heads on the racks over a G1 or ambassador. I only went with G2s this time because they're readily available at my local store. I like them a lot.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I've said this in other threads, but I've ended up with Coated G2s over G1s on pretty much every birch drumset I've had.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
Interesting.....20 years ago I was convinced I would destroy Ambassadors and haven't been back since......I was always pinstripes and Emperors but.....everything mellows with time......
I thought I would dent them up by now but they've held up really well. I go through sticks like crazy so it's not like I'm going easy on them either

If you really feel uncomfortable about the durability coated emperors will last a good while

River19

Cool. Maybe I'll pick up some coated Ambassadors and coated G2s and put those over the G1s I have on and see what flips my skirt up.....

I have really enjoyed these drums as I have played them since they came out back in 2003 and have always gotten solid sound from them. Sound guys raved about the kick.....

That being said the 10" reacting with some of my snares has driven me nutts over the years, but at this point the 8 and 10 are getting a rest.....

mikyok

Platinum Member
Another thumbs up for the G2 over G1 both clear.

I ran that on my old Birch 80s Superstar. Sounded great.

Birch doesn't need much messing with, good birch gives you a nice pre-eq'd sound.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member

Birch doesn't need much messing with, good birch gives you a nice pre-eq'd sound.
That's it! Now I have to put G2 coated over G1's on my Ludwig Element Birch kit.

River19

I agree with you on the birch, hence my playing the kit for almost 15 years, add in the die cast hoops and it is a very controllable sound.

I'm thinking coated ambassadors and either coated or clear G2s will be the experimental lineup.....

I prefer clear heads normally, but any reason to go coated G2s vs. clear G2s?

Tamaefx

Silver Member
You wouldn't go wrong with clear g2 over clear G1 either. Coated has a bit mellower attack, and a bit less overtone. For the music you play, and since your kit is quite controlled and EQ ed, I would even go single ply coated on top (G1 coated).

iCe

I have two Pearl kits: a Vision VBA and a Masters BCX. Both are birch kits and the Masters being the superior obviously. (I believe the VBA is made of lesser quality birch and thinner shells, since the BCX's weight and project a lot more).

I've had the stock Pinstripes and reso heads on the VBA for some time before switching to coated G2's on the batter side. Played for 2 years or so, but eventually wanted a different sound. Tried clear Ambassadors on top and i love the sound on this kit! Wide open and lots of attack! Still have the stock reso heads on them, but i love the sound on this kit with the clear Ambassadors as batters.

My BCX kit came with clear Ambassadors tops and bottoms and initially liked it, but after i few weeks i found that it sounded a bit 'thin' and lacked the thunder i wanted (and these heads were the donors for the VBA). Also put coated G2's on them and loved the sound of the floor toms, but found that the toms sound too high (even tuned low they still sound 'jazzy'). After a year or so put my old love on tops again; clear Emperors and there was the sound i wanted. Full, lots of low ends and great attack!

To make a long story short; depends on the kit what sound best, but if you want Evans heads i suggest clear G2's over clear G1's.

River19

Just to close the loop on this.........

I swapped out to G2 Clears yesterday and so far I love them. I had no major complaints with the pinstripes over the past decade+ of playing Pins on this kit but I don't play as physically hard as I used to (no need/better technique/mellowed with age.....take your pick) and I was starting to feel they wouldn't allow the drums to sing unless really laid into, so playing with any lower dynamics resulted in that Pin Stripe wet sounding attack with not much tone...like you were hearing more head and less drum.

The G2s have opened up the drums and they really sing now, but given the hoops, birch etc. they are very controlled. I tend to tune the 12 & 14 just above wrinkle, about a half turn and they sound sweet.

I am liking the G2s over G1s don't see myself switching again anytime soon.

Thanks