Head Phones or Gear

Emmaticus00

So guys, I have the option of getting new headphones or getting cymbals/drums.

The headphones I want to get are the V-Moda Crossfade LP's. Does anybody have any experience with them? If so, how were they?

The drums or cymbals I wanted to get were either:
A) Mapex Meridian Birch
B) Sabian AA or XS20 Medium hats or
C) Sabian AA or XS20 Medium ride

Which ones do you think I should get? I need to upgrade both my cymbals and drums, but I love headphones and my current ones are Sol Republic Tracks HD's and they're uncomfortable. I kind of want to get nicer more audiophile headphones.
What would you do in this situation?

Re: Headphones vs Gear

Hmmm -> buying drums & cymbals costs a lot more than phones.

The order to buy is really up to you and your finances. ;-)

As far as phones, don't overlook beyerdynamic dt-770s, which are very refined and very comfortable. And you should be able to find them on sale for around $150.

I'm much more excited about gear than headphones.

If it's just for playing along to music you can get a decent set for less than $100, you don't need amazing drivers or high end, so long as they are loud enough. The actual earmuffs are the important part (comfort and isolation). I have ultraphones for monitoring but when I bought them I didn't have budget restrictions like you, I could live with cheaper headphones.

Headphones feel restrictive for me for long periods and I'd rather wear in ear filters and have he music playing through a speaker (so I can hear the drums clearly).

Hmmm -> buying drums & cymbals costs a lot more than phones.

The order to buy is really up to you and your finances. ;-)

As far as phones, don't overlook beyerdynamic dt-770s, which are very refined and very comfortable. And you should be able to find them on sale for around $150.
Eh, a hi-end set of cans can go for upwards of several thousand dollars.
I personally like my Audio-Technica M-50s (at least I think that's the model), also around $150. Good sound on a budget.

True high end headphones like Stax or some such can be expensive. But there's no value in "designer" headphones. I have 3 sets of headphones in my project studio.

Grado SR-80 which are the most natural sounding and give a number of very expensive cans a run for their money. They are completely open even though they go over your ear. They don't block out anything.

AKG K-240 which are semi open. I use these for tracking as they cut some of the sound but I can still hear my drums naturally enough that I don't have to fight the latency in my recording set up and still be able to play as if I weren't wearing cans.

Sony MDR7506. Probably as ubiquitous in studios as Yamaha NS-10s. Actually sound a bit like NS-10s in that they are a taste forward. More like typical studio monitors and makes it easier to hear little things in the background or how much reverb you have on a mix. Also very common in live sound because of the sound and closed back.

Each of these costs around $99. There is no need to spend $200-300+ unless you really feel the need for something like higher end Grados, the aforementioned Beyer Dynamics or some such. Often the designer cans have some extremely hyped and unbalanced frequency response. Beats are horrible in that regard. There are people who have endorsement deals and work with them, but they have to listen to a lot of reference material to learn how to compensate. The couple of other designer phones I've put on at stores have been almost as bad.

Unless "attractive" to you means "has hipster cred", then any pro $99 headphone will give you good sound. Hey, you could start a new trend, walk around with the Sony's and if anyone asks you why you didn't get Beats, tell them this is what the real pro's use. You'll hear more music in the bargain.

Get the gear if you have a choice, and save your lunch money and eventually get a pair of the Sony MDR-7506's. Those are industry standard and you can get a pair for $99. Nice thing too is that they're so ubiquitous in the industry that many places have replacement ear foam pieces to replace them when they wear out - a nice feature extending your investment. They really are that good.

If you want isolation earphones, the GK Ultraphones are Peltor shooter's headphones outfitted with parts from Sony MDR-7506's. But those are $300, and worth it.

Unless "attractive" to you means "has hipster cred", then any pro $99 headphone will give you good sound. Hey, you could start a new trend, walk around with the Sony's and if anyone asks you why you didn't get Beats, tell them this is what the real pro's use. You'll hear more music in the bargain.

No, I like the V-Modas because they sound good, have great durability, comfortable, priced well, and they look good. See?

Attachments

• v-moda-crossfire-lp-e3.jpg
    v-moda-crossfire-lp-e3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 346

Well you already have headphones and a kit + cymbals.. Of those things you should replace the thing that most needs replacing.

Dunno what more you can expect us to say.

Go on a headphones forum, they'll prob tell you to get the headphones.

Well you already have headphones and a kit + cymbals.. Of those things you should replace the thing that most needs replacing.

Dunno what more you can expect us to say.

Go on a headphones forum, they'll prob tell you to get the headphones.

Ok than. What birch kit would you go for under $700?

Stage customs are pretty sweet if you're buying new.

Don't think you could buy a bad kit these days but I like the Yamaha hardware.

No, I like the V-Modas because they sound good, have great durability, comfortable, priced well, and they look good. See?
attachment.php

Em, they may sound good - I really don't know - but they look like two irons with a headband connecting them.

I am an old dude and let me tell you, when I buy headphones, and I have a few medium priced sets, how they look on my head is so far at the bottom of the list it would even register. If you want to look cool, buy clothes an be a male model. come on. we are talking drums here not cool. Your drums can look cool, but you don't have to

I'm not saying that looks are my first priority; it's the sound and functionality. It's nothing against 45 year old men, but I don't want to look like my dad....

I resemble that remark!

Maybe it's because I'm in your targeted demographic, but I fail to see how headphones chosen for their sound quality can make you look dorky.

And for the same reason, I would rather stab my own eyes out with a drumstick than use headphones that mark me out as a trendy inner-city dwelling, latte drinking, skinny jeans wearing, fixie riding hipster.

I resemble that remark!

Maybe it's because I'm in your targeted demographic, but I fail to see how headphones chosen for their sound quality can make you look dorky.

And for the same reason, I would rather stab my own eyes out with a drumstick than use headphones that mark me out as a trendy inner-city dwelling, latte drinking, skinny jeans wearing, fixie riding hipster.

LOL.

Makes me think you listen to 'Good Charlotte' too much. But not on trendy headphones ;-)

Hell no!

And we've got at least one of the Madden brothers on TV in Australia.

Please take him back.

Back