HDMI audio > Focusrite 18i20. What do I need?

Square

El Conquistador
I currently have the Focusrite 18i20 (first gen I think, how do I know?) I want to put the audio signal from a TV into it.

Why? I'm using the Focusrite and the included software to run sound through my studio monitors. The idea is to be able to play along with videos played on the TV.

Current gear is the Focusrite, and a MacBook. I also have a PC that I've used in the past (not with TV). Now making the move to an older macbook...

I'm seeing this type of item that may work, Stripper . From this I would go RCA to 1/4" into the FR.

817m0P222gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Is there a better way?

FYI the channelized signal from the FR goes into the computer via USB. No reason that matters, just wanted to say.

I think you're going to have to get something that converts to analog, irrespective of how it happens. I don't necessarily think it's important, but I'd probably try and find one that sent 1/4" balanced outputs.

I think you're going to have to get something that converts to analog, irrespective of how it happens. I don't necessarily think it's important, but I'd probably try and find one that sent 1/4" balanced outputs.
That was what I was initially looking for. With the wide world of adapters out there, you would think...

Good question. I haven't bought the TV yet.
Then there's not much of a point asking this question now :p
Most TV have both analog and digital outputs, so you'll likely be able to go from an RCA or 3,5 jack out to your interface's analog inputs, or from an ADAT lightpipe out to one of your interface's digital inputs.

Also, you can distinguish the 1st and 2nd gen models just by looking at them, they look different and there's plenty of pictures you can find of either model online.

Back