Hawaii 50 theme drummer.

Bonzodownunder

G'day to my fellow drummer brethen! :).Does anyone know who the drummer is that plays the opening theme music for above tv show? (new version &Not the 70's version)
Ta mates! :)
Adrian.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Mel died a few years ago, it's unlikely he'd have recorded the new theme!

I don't know who's on the new theme, but the late L.A. studio legend John Guerin was reputed to have recorded at least one of the original show's themes. The Ventures did have a radio hit with a re-make, and I assume Mel played on that.

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
One drummer with reso heads, one without?!

Been watching a lot of old footage from the 70s/80s lately (eg, the BBC's Reggae Britannia) and seeing a lot of drum kits with no reso heads. What's that all about?
You haven't heard of concert toms? A real fave in the studios thanks to Hal Blaine in the '60s, and undoubtedly what John Guerin used to record the original Hawaii 5-0 theme back in the day. They're making a bit of a comeback, at least here at my house:

Bermuda

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I'm trying to remember which other poster here has put those pictures up! I've seen them before.

bermuda

Staff member
The Slingerlands are the drums on Neil Diamond's "America", and the Jazz Singer movie & album, and were a gift from Dennis St John. They do need a lot of tlc, and while they're completely playable, I doubt I'd be appearing anywhere with them.

Bermuda

alparrott

Platinum Member
The Slingerlands are the drums on Neil Diamond's "America", and the Jazz Singer movie & album, and were a gift from Dennis St John. They do need a lot of tlc, and while they're completely playable, I doubt I'd be appearing anywhere with them.

Bermuda
A shame, but completely understandable! You simply don't see drums like that anymore. A real treasure to be sure.

Hercules

I read an interview with Mel many years ago in Modern Drummer - he said that he used Rototoms for the Hawaii 5-0 theme.

A great tune, sound and playing. :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Mel died a few years ago, it's unlikely he'd have recorded the new theme!

I don't know who's on the new theme, but the late L.A. studio legend John Guerin was reputed to have recorded at least one of the original show's themes. The Ventures did have a radio hit with a re-make, and I assume Mel played on that.

Bermuda
I thought Hal Blaine did the LA Studio version for the original tv show, no? That was around the time he developed the Octa-plus tom thingy...

bermuda

Staff member
Hal says "I did do a number of 5-0 recordings with various folks, but it was indeed Johnny Guerin who did the famous T.V. show theme."

Bermuda

jackie k

The ventures where an instrumentalist group. They did just about every cover of theme songs that came out in the 1960's and usually their versions were the coolest. You can probably see them doing the song Hawaii 5 0 on the net somewhere. Mel Taylor was a great drummer. His Wipeout version is still the best I think that was done. All the music he played was top of the line drumming. His son now took over the drum set and he's just like his father a great drummer.

Last edited: