Having trouble transcribing a song

Bradastronaut

So i figured id transcribe one of my favourite songs, i have gotten like 18 seconds in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OehhSE3oaHM
I cant tell wether the snare being played on the quarter notes is pushed along an eigth note or not after the cymbal hits. Im pretty sure it is, but when i play along to it it doesnt feel like it is D:, i wanna learn this song pretty bad but cant realy play unless i know what is being played on paper, its wierd yes, and ive tried to transcribe it for a while now but havent gotten anywhere by myself so far, so i was wondering if i could get some help :)
And i have been running it through vlc media player and slowing it down, but i still cannit make much sense of it :(

Fox622003

Gold Member
There's something odd going on with the bass drum there, it sounds very loose and not tight at all.
It's very simple, so I'll see if I get a few minutes later and transcribe some of the parts for you.

Fox.

Bradastronaut

Hey thanks for the possible help!
I dunno if your talking about the tuning of the bass drum or the playing, but either way i cannot hear it much in this album which makes it hard to transcribe some of the songs. Its realy clicky and im not realy to keen on the sound at all.

Fox622003

Gold Member
This guy is not a very good drummer :-/ I don't really know what he's doing in a lot of parts, because he's all over the place with those bass drums (in a really REALLY bad kind of way). They are very cavemanish beats, played with no finesse, andthe music is not very good either, I don't see why you'd want anything to do with this kind of stuff, but here's an idea of what's going on until around 35 seconds, which covers most beats in the sound. I didn't really know how to write that bass drum, it didn't really land in very specific places, so if you want to play it with your band or something, this should be OK.

Fox.

Attachments

Bradastronaut

Dude thanks for the transcription to help me understand that part.
But this guy was certainly not a bad drummer, the bass drum patterns around that part are quite simple, since i dont have any software to write out notation ill see if i can tab it out here...

H x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
S --x---x---x---x-
B x---xx--x--x-x--

Fox622003

Gold Member
I'm talking about the bass drum for parts like the one starting at bar 9 in my transcription. The bass drum is certainly not tight, and goes all over the place.

Fox.

Bradastronaut

Yeah i hear that one part now, im still not sure if its a geniune mistake. But if it is then i dont think you can call a drummer a bad drummer based on one mistake in part of a song, ive listened to the song at realy reduced speed and couldnt hear any fumbles in the bass drum part other than that. Im not realy sure about recording techniques, but im sure that the drummer/producer would not have allowed a drum track on the album with geniune mistakes like what you appear to be pointing out? This guy was called upon for a lot of bands, of more than just this genre. Theres plenty of drummers in this style of music that are also very comfortable outside their bands genre, ive heard this drummer swinging on a few songs.

Was curious as to what you consider good drumming or good music?

skreg

I'm a pretty big Gavin Harrison fan. I also like Peter Erskine a lot. I like a lot of styles in music, though, from Led Zeppelin, Porcupine Tree (Gavin's Band), to, I don't know, Katie Melua, Paramore, and so on.
Check those links out if you've got some time. Nice music.

Fox.
Very interesting, because Peter Erskine was my first favorite drummer. About a month ago, I ran into Porcupine Tree, and am totally blown away by Gavin's playing. About a week ago I realized . . . "Wait . . . he's like the Peter Erskine of rock!"

-sheldon

Bradastronaut

Sorry for the late reply! I dont get on much :p
Ive seen most of those videos previously, i love just browsing youtube and watching a good drummer. Especialy that first gavin harrison video! Great playing there :D