Having a hard time

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
If a guitar player can strum chords, or play a riff, while singing this tune, then you can manage a drum beat while singing, too.

Practice slow, and you’ll learn fast. Slow the tune down, and figure out when syllables line up with drum hits, or fit between. It’s a big project, for sure, but feasible. How long do you have to prepare?
I knew I had this audition for ten days. I go in this Sunday night for the audition. So I’ve been preparing everything else and printing lyrics to other songs they do in case they give me a choice to pick one. Other than listening to everything I’m not familiar with, I’ve been hitting each song separately. When Sunday rolls around I should have everything down to an acceptable level. Singing drummers really are a minority even in LA for some reason.

Ransan

Bo - most will find what they got (or not), when doing this routinely.
Sunday may not be enough time:

“Early in the mornin', risin' to the street
Light me up that cigarette and I'll strap shoes on my feet.
Got to find the reason, reason things went wrong.
Got to find a reason why my money’s all gone.
I got a Dalmatian and I can still get high.”

Good Luck!

brentcn

Platinum Member
I knew I had this audition for ten days. I go in this Sunday night for the audition. So I’ve been preparing everything else and printing lyrics to other songs they do in case they give me a choice to pick one. Other than listening to everything I’m not familiar with, I’ve been hitting each song separately. When Sunday rolls around I should have everything down to an acceptable level. Singing drummers really are a minority even in LA for some reason.

If they’re a good group, they’ll be able to see that, if you don’t have it 100%, you will in the near future.

In my last group I was singing a ton of backups, to the point where it was a coordination challenge. The only way I got through it was to slow way down, and repetitively address the most challenging phrases. I sang lots of backups on What I Got, more than are on the record. I was harmonizing half the words, give or take. The words are delivered rhythmically, for the most part, and they don’t lose much feel if you have to resolve a few phrases down to their 16th notes. Just make sure those 16ths are swung, of course.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Bo - most will find what they got (or not), when doing this routinely.
Sunday may not be enough time:

“Early in the mornin', risin' to the street
Light me up that cigarette and I'll strap shoes on my feet.
Got to find the reason, reason things went wrong.
Got to find a reason why my money’s all gone.
I got a Dalmatian and I can still get high.”

Good Luck!
The singing parts are easy. It’s just those two rap sections. And it’s gotten better over the last two hours. So I think by Sunday night it should be acceptable. Maybe. The other seven songs they want to hear are ready.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Just keep listening and singing along to the track until you get it. The drums are the easy part. Get to where you can drive your vehicle, drink coffee, and sing the whole entire song without thought. Then go put it together.

I can play and sing this song no issue. I've also been a fan of Sublime since the 90s and this songs lyrics are engrained in my head. Get to that point and you can do it too. And be glad it isnt Santeria. The hi hats on that tune are a handful.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I’d let the band play the groove then you rap it and lay down crazy gospel chops out of sync of all of it to show the band your multitasking tempo abilities. If they don’t like it then play the drum part verbatim but sing it with a country twang. Show them you can play any genre and fuse it. Can you you yodel?

MG1127

Just keep listening and singing along to the track until you get it. The drums are the easy part. Get to where you can drive your vehicle, drink coffee, and sing the whole entire song without thought. Then go put it together.

I can play and sing this song no issue. I've also been a fan of Sublime since the 90s and this songs lyrics are engrained in my head. Get to that point and you can do it too. And be glad it isnt Santeria. The hi hats on that tune are a handful.
that quick shuffle was Bud's specialty

... and the way he would drop the back beat from way over his head

those were the days... those guys would roll up to a gig in the van with about 30 guys and 10 dogs ... smoke pouring out of the windows.

It wasn't uncommon for them to get paid in beer.

They were the real deal. Just loved to play

It's such a shame that Bradley never got to see the ultimate success.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
The band I'm auditioning for admits to altering songs to fit them, and from what I've heard, most of their catalog is close, but not exactly perfect in practice - so perhaps they'll be cool if I get close and at least get through the song.

This is key. No one in the crowd will care if you nailed the exact groove or not, as long as it’s dance-able. Have fun with it and alter it to where you think it sounds good!

I think the original drummer used to play Rolands, so what sounds like a drum machine may be a real drummer, but who knows.

wraub

Play a drum machine loop and then play along with it, adding accents, while you sing/rap?

MG1127

This is key. No one in the crowd will care if you nailed the exact groove or not, as long as it’s dance-able. Have fun with it and alter it to where you think it sounds good!

I think the original drummer used to play Rolands, so what sounds like a drum machine may be a real drummer, but who knows.
Bud had some Roland pads for triggers and such but he generally played Yamaha drums

On the record it's a loop sampled by Marshall Goodman

Sublime never really played the song live ... they would do a sort of version of it that wasn't much of a song ...it was more of a version of the song Loving by Jamaican dance hall singer Half Pint

That's what eventually became What I got

That song was finished in the recording studio and unfortunately Bradley passed away 2 months before the record was released

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

Oddly enough I’m doing Santeria too. That one seems easier for me for some reason - probably because there’s no rapping involved. Maybe I can’t get my head around rapping - that’s always something somebody else would do 😉

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Rapping is just talking with rhythm. We all do that to an extent anyway. The hardest part is going to be learning how to sing. I'd start there, but just a few days probably isn't enough time.
Good luck.
Well, I hate to brag, but my singing is probably what got my drumming out to the public for the last 40 years. It’s gotten worse over the years with age, but I’ve discovered warming up properly helps (and that’s been more constant over the last 15 years). And knowing when to say “I can’t do that” also helps 😉