Have your Idols followed you?

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Today out of the blue after all this time! I'm wondering who played drums on Harrisons What is life. I'm thinking Porcaro. I look it up and see Jim Gordon!. Odd how I'm thinking Jeff when Jeff has many times mentioned Gordon as a big influence. When I hear Claptons Forever man I hear Gordon Big time when Jeff had stated he was thinking Jim Gordon during the recording. Can YOU hear your influences in recordings?. Who do you hear and is it good or bad and I'll explain that last sentence.

I play in the rockabilly scene as most of my playing is standing up. I learned to do that by watching Slim Jim Phantom (Stray Cats) & Bob Stubbs (Social Distortion & the Rhythm Dragons).
When I play with my group, I do hear similarities in the sound. It could be because of the playing style, and limited equipment only allow for a certain style of sound to come through.

If I play the songs sitting down behind a full kit, it's completely different.

I, without a doubt, have hints of Peart, Phil Ehart, Nicko McBrain and Scott Rockenfield in my playing in rock/metal and punk...I am not ashamed of it, and I don't try to hide it.

on bass, it is Geddy and Steve Harris...people say that all the time...

I hhave never been a person who tries to deny influences...I embrace them. Those guys were the people who motivated me to forsake all else in my formative years and dive in to music.

When I play now, it is ALWAYS a form of tribute and "thank you" to them for pushing me...even though they don't even know I exist...Though Geddy did point at me and give me the "thumbs up" at the Vapor Trails concert where we had 3rd row....I "died "that night!!! 😍 😍 😍

I have always had a big problem with the people who think that they are above and beyond influences...that realistically can not happen...out mind imprints things whether we are actively trying to or not, and unless you truly lived completely excluded and cut off from any kind of modern media outlet, you are influenced by somebody.

I was briefly involved in a few bands where I was told that "we are not going to wear the shirts of other bands on stage. We don't want people to think we were influenced by anyone"....riiiight. I'm out...

Any of you ever watch Porcaros DVD where he says...( I stole that lick) from this..that..and the other drummer. Personally I thought that was very big..and humble of Jeff to mention it that bluntly. He made me feel better in admitting everything ive stolen/taken from obvious influences.

I, without a doubt, have hints of Peart, Phil Ehart, Nicko McBrain and Scott Rockenfield in my playing in rock/metal and punk...I am not ashamed of it, and I don't try to hide it.

I have never been a person who tries to deny influences...I embrace them.

When I play now, it is ALWAYS a form of tribute and "thank you" to them for pushing me...even though they don't even know I exist...

I have always had a big problem with the people who think that they are above and beyond influences...that realistically can not happen...out mind imprints things whether we are actively trying to or not, and unless you truly lived completely excluded and cut off from any kind of modern media outlet, you are influenced by somebody.

I was briefly involved in a few bands where I was told that "we are not going to wear the shirts of other bands on stage. We don't want people to think we were influenced by anyone"....riiiight. I'm out...
Well said. Artists steal shamelessly from each other and as long as we give credit where credit is due, all is well & expected.
Anyone saying their style is "100% their own" is full of shit.
Any of you ever watch Porcaros DVD where he says...( I stole that lick) from this..that..and the other drummer. Personally I thought that was very big..and humble of Jeff to mention it that bluntly. He made me feel better in admitting everything ive stolen/taken from obvious influences.
I love that quote! He gets it and knows how musicians work in learning new things and who they get it from.

on bass, it is Geddy and Steve Harris...people say that all the time...

I hhave never been a person who tries to deny influences...I embrace them. Those guys were the people who motivated me to forsake all else in my formative years and dive in to music.

When I play now, it is ALWAYS a form of tribute and "thank you" to them for pushing me...even though they don't even know I exist...Though Geddy did point at me and give me the "thumbs up" at the Vapor Trails concert where we had 3rd row....I "died "that night!!! 😍 😍 😍

I'm right there with you. My favorite players have clearly influenced my style and approach to original music.

For some songs I'll feel myself channeling my inner Peart. Other times it's Steve Smith, Carey or Bruford. Portnoy's influence from his prime Dream Theater work and Transatlantic has also for some reason made its way into some of my playing.

I embrace my influences and happily wear them on my sleeve!

My biggest influences are not drummers. They are bass player and singer Jack Bruce and guitar player and singer Rory Gallagher. So there is no hint of them in my playing. Peace and goodwill.

I've listed to a lot of Jeff myself. There are days I'm convinced I'm influenced by Jeff Indyke.

Last edited:
Roger Earl and Phil Ehart have probably influenced me the most but that was after I had been playing for quite a few years. Black Sabbath Paranoid, Deep Purple M.I.J. and Grand Funk Survival albums were my early influences.

I didn't know it at the time, but looking back, before age 12, I was unknowingly influenced primarily by Hal Blaine, Earl Palmer, Jim Gordon, Roger Hawkins, Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen and Uriel Jones. So "The Wrecking Crew", "The Swampers" and the Motown drummers.

Kinda happy about that.

Later came Bobby Colomby, Danny Seraphine, Bill Bruford and Phil Ehart.

I think about every drummer you've heard and definitely those who you've stole and practiced licks gets fused into you. I'm not a rock drummer, I'm not a jazz drummer, I'm a hybridized drummer of myself and all that influenced me. Dennis Chamber, Carter Beaufort, Bernard Purdie, Nate Smith, Jeff Porcaro, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, a bunch of drummers from 60s to present in every genre. I don't think I do their influences any honors but I do like their drumming and it influenced me.

Back