Have You Whistle-Trained Your Dog to Recall/Come?

Depends on the dog.

What depends on the dog? The need for solid obedience training? Absolutely not, unless you can guarantee that every moment of the rest of her life will be in a safe and controlled environment where any behavior she chooses is acceptable. Personally I like to take a dog for a walk fairly regularly, and I also like a dog that doesn't destroy the furniture or relieve herself inside the house or act aggressively towards guests or bark all night.

Yeah, Most dogs are reluctant to go home when out playing so extra effort is needed to get them to leave for home..Whether it's a whistle or food treat needed. OP's original question I believe. My dog just follows me or makes friends to avoid heading home..

My dog just follows me or makes friends to avoid heading home..

Yeah, I used to get calls from people like you all the time when their dog finally ran off and they realized that maybe it was time for obedience training. Of course those were the lucky ones who actually found their dogs after they ran away. Then they paid me to "fix" the problem. Then I told them everything that I've already said here. And you got to read it for free!

Unreal man.. luckily I can ignore every thing you said here because it just doesn't apply ... But I'm glad you are out there somewhere keeping the world safe from people like me. Thank You.. Go get'em Holly. I'm taking my dog for a walk down the beach now. I'm sure we'll be just fine.18425198_10154298494917133_3954306003517695501_n.jpg

Last edited:
Of course, chum. I'm just trying to answer SoVB's question. Why would you listen to me when I'm talking to someone else? You're perfectly happy with your dog and don't think it needs training, much like all of the people who used to ask me for help. I was always happy to work with them, because I was usually the last hope they had once they realzed that untrained dogs in this modern world were capable of making very bad decisions and either getting hurt or hurting someone else. With luck, you and your pup will be fine. I just wish more people didn't rely on luck with an animal they claimed to care about.

No. I've never had a smart dog.

Well, my Great Pyrenees is really smart, but he just don't care. That's the nature of that breed.
PorkPieGuy, Man, We are on the Same Plane!! Not just drumming stuff. A Great Pyrenees too!! Well, we lost our Kodi in 2005. He was 13 - very old for this breed. I debate the Really Smart LOL. According to a dog intelligence scale {don't recall who issued it] from way back when, GPs were far down the list LOL. GPs make great family pets. However, Kodi would never come if called or whistled. We got him from an animal rescue facility out on Long Island. He was a 1 year old (on that day Sept 1993) male who was tuned in by a local Prison guard who, lived in an apartment which is not good for GPs. After we got him, my MIL sent us an Newspaper article about GPs. According to that article, they eat 1x a day, they will run away until they are 3 years old, have sensitive stomachs, and are Sheep Guarders, not Herders, with Nocturnal tendencies. All was correct! Kodi ran awya numerous times, found by neighbors, and others in our town miles away !! In his younger days, we could see him from our LR picture window, running through neighbor's yards, and literally leaping over their 4 ' property fences between yards! Then on his 3rd Bday - He Stopped that! It was incredible - to the tee on his 3rd Birthday. He loved children and people in general, never went after other dogs, or animals encountered on walks. And yes, GPs do have Nocturnal tendencies. Man, are they "hairy", especially when they Blow their Winter Coat. Not to be downer, Man we (my wife and I ) cried like babies when we had to put poor Kodi down.

Tears coming to my eyes as I write this!

PorkPieGuy, Man, We are on the Same Plane!! Not just drumming stuff. A Great Pyrenees too!! Well, we lost our Kodi in 2005. He was 13 - very old for this breed. I debate the Really Smart LOL. According to a dog intelligence scale {don't recall who issued it] from way back when, GPs were far down the list LOL. GPs make great family pets. However, Kodi would never come if called or whistled. We got him from an animal rescue facility out on Long Island. He was a 1 year old (on that day Sept 1993) male who was tuned in by a local Prison guard who, lived in an apartment which is not good for GPs. After we got him, my MIL sent us an Newspaper article about GPs. According to that article, they eat 1x a day, they will run away until they are 3 years old, have sensitive stomachs, and are Sheep Guarders, not Herders, with Nocturnal tendencies. All was correct! Kodi ran awya numerous times, found by neighbors, and others in our town miles away !! In his younger days, we could see him from our LR picture window, running through neighbor's yards, and literally leaping over their 4 ' property fences between yards! Then on his 3rd Bday - He Stopped that! It was incredible - to the tee on his 3rd Birthday. He loved children and people in general, never went after other dogs, or animals encountered on walks. And yes, GPs do have Nocturnal tendencies. Man, are they "hairy", especially when they Blow their Winter Coat. Not to be downer, Man we (my wife and I ) cried like babies when we had to put poor Kodi down.

Tears coming to my eyes as I write this!

I swear my dog is going to end up on The First 48. He hates strangers and wants to murder them, but he would let me, the kids, or my wife pull his ears off if we wanted.

The best way I can describe our Great Pyrenees is this: He's like that roommate you had in college who never washed the dishes, never cleaned the bathroom, didn't like to shower or shave, was always bumming 5 bucks, and likes to hit on your girlfriend, but if you were ever in a scuffle, he would be the first person to jump in to a brawl for you without a second thought.

In the summers, one of my favorite things to do is pull out a chair and hang out in the yard with him after I've finished mowing. He probably doesn't have but a summer or two left in him, and I'll never own another GP because he's been a total a-hole with what all he's destroyed, but there will never be another like him.

1707933695585.png

I swear my dog is going to end up on The First 48. He hates strangers and wants to murder them, but he would let me, the kids, or my wife pull his ears off if we wanted.

The best way I can describe our Great Pyrenees is this: He's like that roommate you had in college who never washed the dishes, never cleaned the bathroom, didn't like to shower or shave, was always bumming 5 bucks, and likes to hit on your girlfriend, but if you were ever in a scuffle, he would be the first person to jump in to a brawl for you without a second thought.

In the summers, one of my favorite things to do is pull out a chair and hang out in the yard with him after I've finished mowing. He probably doesn't have but a summer or two left in him, and I'll never own another GP because he's been a total a-hole with what all he's destroyed, but there will never be another like him.

View attachment 143636
I was saddened to learn that your GP is "a total a-hole". Our GP was obtained from an Animal shelter located on Long Island, NY in Sept 1993. A friend of mine, was able to take a female GP in from the same shelter about 6 months earlier. We got Kodi, name, leashes, food bowls, with his shots and neutering done already. The shelter was House filled with animals, including another GP and a "cousin" a big brown sofa - a Newfie. And cats, birds, etc. When I asked the lady where her husband was? She responded he went out to buy gas for the car! I said, Oh Yeah, He's Coming Back!! > Kodi was the only dog she ever had (she had other GPs, - one was prize winner) that stayed in the backyard Dog House. He was 1 year old that day. He came in, tailing wagging, and my two sons, the elder was 11, the younger was 8, went right over to them. "daddy, please can we keep him"? And despite the warning form my wife...."remember, he will be YOUR Dog", we brought him home. Kodi was crate trained by the original owner who turned him in, was taken by a family who after a week brough him back to the Shelter for unknown reasons - but I suspect Kodi was too big and too hairy which they didn't realize. Got him home around lunchtime. I made a Ham & cheese sandwich left on the kitchen counter, looked the other way for a second....BAM, that sandwich INHALED by Kodi in a nanosecond. FF, at first, Kodi had separation anxiety for sure. He would promptly poop on the living room Rug, not on the wood floor, but the Rug over the wood floor, as soon as I left for work. I was the Alpha Dog to him. A couple days of that, and I handled it with the old fashioned way....Drag him over to where he pooped, stuff his Nose in it, saying Bad Dog. When it occurred again, a few light whacks with a magazine on the nose...did the trick. That Stopped from then on. Yes, He did some chewing damages....chewed my Baseball glove that I had when I was a 9 year old boy; chewed my SIL's new leather Boots by the front door when we weren't looking ("Where's Kodi"? ) and loved to go after hats of any type to chew: Baseball caps, skull caps, etc. But that stopped as he got a little older.
Relating to your GP hanging out with you after mowing, Kodi would do that as well, just sit on the Deck after using his snout to push open the screen door on the patio sliders. BUT, If I picked the hose to water flowers, etc....He scampered into the house, So FAST . Hated Water!! Bathing him was adventure. I will say, with him peeing in the yard, laying on the deck, we NEVER had Rabbits, Chipmunks, or squirrels in the yard! We Do NOW !!

I have a 10 year old pug that we rescued right after his 1st birthday. He don't listen to nothing. I love him, he is a super cool dog with a huge personality... But boy is he stubborn. We've even tried to call professional dog trainers and every single one said "oh, we don't bother with pugs. They just don't listen."

Back