Have you updated your DW 9000 series bass pedal(s)?

Road Bull

Silver Member
Soon I will be on the lookout for picking up the necessary missing pieces of hardware to have a "home kit". That is, if everything goes well tomorrow with the appraisal. It should be clear sailing from there.

I have not been able to play drums in the place that I live for a long, maybe 6+ years, time. I have had to get by where I can and end up getting the most stick time at band practice.

Anyway... I currently use the DW 9002 double and DW 9000 hi-hat. I would say that I like how they have treated me overall. I don't have the current production 9002 DB pedal with the updated bass drum hoop mount. That is about the only visible physical change that I can see. I am sure there is some updated something or other, but I was wondering if anyone here has gone from the older 9002 to the newer 9002 and noticed much of a change, or how much of an "improvement" they feel it offers.

When I got my new Ludwig classic maples, I had a little trouble in the beginning with the 26x14" bass drum hopping up and down and working its clamp clear of the bass drum hoop. The new ones look like they could offer a bit more secure of a clamp connection.

I was in the market just as the updated model was released. I went for the new one because of the nylon carrying case, in case I ever gigged. The thought of dismantling everything to fit in the moulded case was painful.

AFAIK the only other differences were Velcro on the base and the clamp.

I wouldn't bother updating in any scenario, the furthest I'd go is buying a nylon case for live playing (which you're not using the pedals for).

I was in the market just as the updated model was released. I went for the new one because of the nylon carrying case, in case I ever gigged. The thought of dismantling everything to fit in the moulded case was painful.

AFAIK the only other differences were Velcro on the base and the clamp.

I wouldn't bother updating in any scenario, the furthest I'd go is buying a nylon case for live playing (which you're not using the pedals for).

Yeah, it's the clamp and the switch to rubber instead of Velcro on the bottom. Which, having had a 9000 with velcro for at least two years now, is really the work of the devil. It sucks. :\

Yeah, it's the clamp and the switch to rubber instead of Velcro on the bottom. Which, having had a 9000 with velcro for at least two years now, is really the work of the devil. It sucks. :\

So are you saying that the Velcro or the rubber sucks. I imagine both are easy enough to change. I have to say the Velcro kind of sucks when I am trying to tear down and get out of the way for the next band. The Velcro really sticks to the low pile carpet very well. So when it's clamped to the bass drum, and the bass drum is firmly wedged up against my bass brake block, (going to market and sell this brake as "tone block"), it can be a bit of a struggle separating the two.

But the combination of my Ludwig classic maple hoop, the size of my bass drum, and the clamp did not work well together. The pedal kept breaking free.

So are you saying that the Velcro or the rubber sucks. I imagine both are easy enough to change. I have to say the Velcro kind of sucks when I am trying to tear down and get out of the way for the next band. The Velcro really sticks to the low pile carpet very well. So when it's clamped to the bass drum, and the bass drum is firmly wedged up against my bass brake block, (going to market and sell this brake as "tone block"), it can be a bit of a struggle separating the two.

But the combination of my Ludwig classic maple hoop, the size of my bass drum, and the clamp did not work well together. The pedal kept breaking free.

Exactly as you describe, the Velcro is a pain every time i want to move it or even clamp it on.

I had an issue with my bass hoop being too thin to give a good grip to the clamp as well, but now just use some duct tape to give an ample handle (and protect the hoop's look a little, I guess).

Back