Have You Tried Sticks With This Type of Tip?

fixxxer

The tip I am referring to is the kind found on the Buddy Rich sig sticks. The neck blends with the tip. (Sorry, I don't know the actual name of the tip type)
Anyway, I was at my local GC yesterday and picked up a bulk bag of the el' cheapo no-name brand sticks (10 pair for $29.99). These work fine for me as I do not go through sticks that quickly. I prefer wooden tips to plastic. However, I have noticed that I usually wear out the tips before anything. So, I found this bulk pack of 5A's with the Buddy Rich type of tips on them thinking maybe the tips will last longer.
So, I get to practice last night and, wow, I couldn't believe the difference in sound that those tips provided. I immediately noticed that there was a much more powerful/ defined sound playing on top of the hats. This was also true for the toms and snare. At this point, I don't know if this is a good or bad thing for me, I just know that it will take some adjustment. It does help to cut through the guitars and overall sound a little better.
This was an unexpected expierence as I didn't realize that a tip could make such a huge difference. Have any of you used these and what have your expierences been with them good or bad?

Any pics of these tips? I am not sure what your talking about.

These ones?

218258614.jpg

Yes! That's exactly the type of tip that I am talking about! Thanks, Xero! Notice how the neck blends in with the tip?
However, the sticks that I bought are not the Buddy Rich sigs, they are some generic no-name brand with that type of tip.

Yes! That's exactly the type of tip that I am talking about! Thanks, Xero!
However, the sticks that I bought are not the Buddy Rich sigs, they are some generic no-name brand with that type of tip.

Those bags of sticks at Guitar Center are Vic Firth seconds. They are the sticks that didn't make the cut so they were never branded with the Vic Firth name. Another drum shop here in town gets the Vic Firth Bucket O Sticks which is the same thing. I've gotten tons of Steve Gadd, Weckl Evolution and others over the years. What I'm saying is, those may actually be Buddy Rich sticks that weren't painted or printed. Though, the Gadds I got were Black and the Weckl Evolution ones I got were that Honey amber color.

Last edited:
Good to know, Fuzrock. Those bulk packs have always held up well for me and are easier on the wallet! 3 bucks a pair sure beats 8 to 12 bucks a pair! The ones I got yesterday were unpainted/ plain. They feel like the same weight and size as the Buddy sigs.

Good to know, Fuzrock. Those bulk packs have always held up well for me and are easier on the wallet! 3 bucks a pair sure beats 8 to 12 bucks a pair! The ones I got yesterday were unpainted/ plain. They feel like the same weight and size as the Buddy sigs.

I hear you. I have a tendency to shred through sticks pretty quickly myself. That's a big part of the reason I started playing with slightly more robust sticks like the 5B. On Guitar Center's web site, I found this deal - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vic-Fir...k---Get-Black-Pair-FREE-106715790-i1932034.gc -, four pairs of 5B's for $23.99. A few weeks ago, GC put out an email ad offering a coupon code for 20% accessories. Using that coupon code, I bought 5 four packs and only spent $95.96. That's only $4.80 per pair for branded Vic Firths. The first pair lasted through two 4 hour rehearsals so far.

I love the BR sticks, but the white paint needs to be 86d. I did see an ad for a Vater stick which appeared to have a similar taper and tip, and no ridiculous white paint. Off to investigate. West Side maybe?

I love the BR sticks, but the white paint needs to be 86d. I did see an ad for a Vater stick which appeared to have a similar taper and tip, and no ridiculous white paint. Off to investigate. West Side maybe?

I don't mind the painted sticks. I've actually wondered if the paint makes them slightly more durable some how.

Back