Have You Seen This Tom Tuning Vid?

I've learned a lot from Beatdown over the Covid year. I worked his entire "Year of the Hands" lesson and it helped greatly with grip & control.
His bass drum tuning tips were spot on for a general set. Then go by ear for the rest.

I have watched at least a half dozen different tom tuning videos, as well as tried to tune toms myself for many years, and Rob Brown’s method is by leaps and bounds my favorite – – nothing else even comes close. I didn’t believe it could be anywhere near as easy or effective as it was, but I tried it…and it was.

Using this method my toms' fundamental "notes" are basically spot on the tune-bot default recommendations (medium sustain). The biggest factor determining your outcome is the amount of pressure you place on the head as you tune up.

Last edited:
I think even his method of changing the pitch easily with just one lug on top and the matching on bottom is clever.

And he acknowledges that people can do it like rocket surgery if they want...this just shows you can get a good sound quickly and easily without making it complicated.

And other videos by some other "gurus" are sort of hilarious, like they are drum whisperers or something...I mean it's just some heads you bash with sticks...

I love how this guy is just very down to Earth..."pick any lug...I'm going to start with this one...cuz I like it".

I used this method at one time, but always found myself wanting more. I eventually began tuning my toms to a perfect fourth apart and use a tune bot to dial them in perfectly before each show. With that being said, I believe this video is a good starting point for someone just learning to tune drums.

That method leaves the toms lower than I like. I generally use this method as my starting point and tune higher from there.

Yeah this is what I do too. I use Rob's method to start out, and then I usually tune the batter heads a little bit higher than suggested. Regardless, it still makes getting to the starting point really simple and you can totally stop there if you want.

The psychotic side of me says...to easy. The other NOT so psychotic side says tune the damn drum and go..stop pondering this shit for days. I can get just stupid twisted over this stuff with a straight jacket near by but Rob is the side that helps with my fanaticism.

The psychotic side of me says...to easy. The other NOT so psychotic side says tune the damn drum and go..stop pondering this shit for days. I can get just stupid twisted over this stuff with a straight jacket near by but Rob is the side that helps with my fanaticism.
I’m the same way and have to fight the urge to fiddle with the damn drums instead of playing them. These days I just keep it simple. “Head on, tuned up, sounds good…Go!”

Gatzen gets deeeep. But...his fondness of diecast hoops is polar opposite of my likes. I also like his views on having nothing on the bass drum which gets lots of debates here.

Give Gatzen the credit he deserves.
Did you try reaching out for him asking why he doesn't give the credit to Gatzen? He might not be aware of it and you're possibly tilting at windmills by trying to tell the truth to all the viewers separately.

I know you guys are probably tired of hearing this from me, and I love that Rob's sharing this with the drumming community, but I really, really wish he'd credit who originated this concept: the great Bob Gatzen.

When he says "there are going to be a lot of hardcore 'experts' saying that this is actually the wrong way to do it", I'm thinking "No they wouldn't, because the one and only hardcore expert is Bob Gatzen, you know, the guy you got this, and many of your other concepts from! "

The more I see these videos, the more I start losing respect for Rob Brown. Give Gatzen the credit he deserves.
Maybe Rob doesn’t know. Tuning tips like this have been passed around for decades. I used to visit Bob’s shop in CT all the time and he was always willing to give helpful tips and advice. In all the times I visited, he never said here’s a method I invented or took credit for anything. He’d just say “Try this”. Even Bob didn’t care about getting credited for ideas. He was just happy to share.

Last edited:
I really like this guys approach and delivery, very down to earth. Never tried this method but it looks simple and looks like it works. Im going to give it a try. I always hated tuning vids where you tune it on a floor or a rug, never sounds the same and the tell you to mount it and tune it, why not just tune it mounted? anyway this guy is certainly cool and on to something here.

This method is great starting point to finding your desired tension ... unless that sound is what you desire.

My method has always been tension the batter for feel and the reso for tone.

Mike expressed that in a recent video as well ...a video that I find to be probably the best tuning video I've seen.

I admittedly get slightly irritated with people who try to make it overly scientific ... Rob doesn't do that but most do.

Always liked Rob

Dig Mike's vid if you haven't

Last edited:
Back