Have you come around to other drum sizes?

Like some said, I have tried different set up, and finally the one I feel confident with, and that seem to fit with the music I play, is the traditional 22 12 13 16.
I have tried 22x18, and really prefer the 16" depth : for transportation reason and sensation. I would have preferred less deep Tom than those I have (12x10 - 13x11).
I like my 10" Tom but I can do without easily - still, it's fun to add it's voice sometimes.
The worst size I have come to play are really the hyperdrive, how can this Tom sound fits to any music ? Very personal of course, but to me a Tom should sound like a Tom, not like a snare drum with the wires off...
I would build my kit, I think would go 22x16, 12x8, 13x9, 16x14 (which is finally a great floor Tom size.) and no die cast hoops ;-)

And it seems, that this basic kit configuration doesn't exist except Sakae.

This is getting away from gear a bit, but when you play different configurations do you change how you orchestrate fills, etc. to try and achieve the same sound or do you play the fill the same way based upon the position of the toms (so that what you play on the 12" tom in a 4-piece kit is now played on the 10" tom in a 5-piece kit for example, despite the fact that you've got the same 12" tom on both kits).

I like the 10-12-16 configuration in 5-piece kits but one nice thing about 12-13-16 is that you've always got the 12" tom in the same place. I haven't tried putting the 10" tom on the right but that seems a little weird :)

--
Steve

This is getting away from gear a bit, but when you play different configurations do you change how you orchestrate fills, etc. to try and achieve the same sound or do you play the fill the same way based upon the position of the toms (so that what you play on the 12" tom in a 4-piece kit is now played on the 10" tom in a 5-piece kit for example, despite the fact that you've got the same 12" tom on both kits).

I like the 10-12-16 configuration in 5-piece kits but one nice thing about 12-13-16 is that you've always got the 12" tom in the same place. I haven't tried putting the 10" tom on the right but that seems a little weird :)

--
Steve

You got it right, when I play a 10 12 16 kit, I move my fills towards the 12, as if I was trying to "avoid" the 10" Tom, because I feel the high voice does not fit the music I play. In this kit configuration, I have tried to switch the 2 Tom so as to have the 12 in front of me and 10 on the right (like Aronoff) but, I didn't like, the movement wasn't right and, esthetically, it was not right either. The best way was to put the toms on an independent stand : right order, and 12 in front of the player !

Been through several sizes. I have played 16x14 bassdrums, 20x14, 22x16, 22x18, 22x20 and 24x14. My favourite bassdrumsize is right now 20x14 followed by 22x16. Those bassdrums sound full and musical with a closed resohead, they are versatile enough, can be used for almost anyhting and they are easy enough to carry around. 24" and bigger is just a no-go for me. I hate to play them; they feel sluggish and are an ergonomical nightmare for me.

Floortoms: 14" or 16" is okay for me, I like both. Racktoms? I need only one 12" up there.

Despite what people say, an 18" bass drum gets the job done. So light and easy to carry in a bag, compared to a 22" in a huge case.

18" bass drums are great, if you have a bass drum mic and a sub on the P.A. there's no problem whatsoever.

Due to very thin shells, my Sonors are lower in pitch to all other brands, ergo, smaller toms will do the job of larger toms

Slight nitpicking: Shell composition or thickness does not affect 'pitch' (i.e. lowest attainable fundamental). Only head diameter does. However, a shell of an ideal makeup for a given tuning can create the illusion of a bigger drum because of the resulting 'timbre'.

I always use a four-piece kit, most of which have been 13/16/22/snare. When I first played a 12/16/22/snare kit, I did not like it. Now I have two of them. Peace and goodwill.

I see I'm not alone - 22" kicks do nothing for me.

My go-to is 24" kick. Made that switch last year. I gladly lug it around to get that feel/tone.

My go-to for toms is 10/13/16 or 13/16. However I have 10-12-13 rack toms, and 14, 16, 18 floor toms, and switch them to suit gigs.

I also own 20" and 18" kicks. I use them for rehearsals, recording, and gigs that call for their tone.

I've fallen in love with my 20" kick. I used it in the studio once and the way I could control the sound was just great.
I use this kick along with a 10" tom and a 14" floor. Perfect for small clubs and intimate venues.

It's been my "go-to" set for most shows. Put mics on them & they can sound as big or small as they want.

Back