Have the Yamaha Stage Custom drums changed over the years?

ricky

Just curious. I had a set a while ago, I think it was from the 90s, and it was okay. The floor tom was hard to tune, the snare was a cheap metal snare, etc.

But in this video, the kit definitely stands up to the higher end kits...pretty much indistinguishable.

Thanks.

It has changed quite a bit. In the 90's the shell was a mix of different woodtypes, I think it was birch/phillipine mahogny/falkata wood. I believe they used that shell up until they started calling them Stage Custom Birch, maybe around 2010 or so? (the guru's will probably arrest me here, but I believe it's close to the truth), at least when they started to make them in their chinese factory. The snare is all birch wood, not a cheap steel snare. The hardware has changed over the years as well, from the long lugs in the 90's (stiled like the Recording Customs), to the Advantage plastic ones in the 00's (ouch!), to the Absolute lugs that looks like the ones used on the earlier Maple/Birch/Beech Custom Absolutes. YESS system has evolved as well. I wouldnt think you should have any problems with a new Stage Custom. I use one at practice, works wonderful. Hard to find a better kit for the price.

Just curious. I had a set a while ago ......
Yes ..... they can keep up with the big dogs. Over the years (decades) they have changed quite a lot. And even the "oldest" 5000 series drums still have a bit of a following.

From another internet source .......

"Actual History of Yamaha Stage Custom..... According to Yamaha catalogs

Generation 1 1980 - 1995
1980 Yamaha catalog – “Stage” is the marketing name given to the YD-5000 series drum kits, this kit is made with 100% Philippine mahogany laminated shells, with YD-7000 hardware and retracting bass drum spurs.
1982 Japan Catalog – Refers to the series as the YD-5000G
1986 Yamaha USA Catalog – Refers to the kits as the “Stage 2” and the “Power Stage 2” series. The Bass drum spurs are now like the spurs used on the 1996 and later kits, however the kit still uses the YD-7000 series lugs

Generation 2 1995 - Q1 2008
1995-6 Yamaha Sites and press releases – Reference the establishment of the “Stage Custom” series, The shells are changed to add an inner lamination of Falkata (more exact falcata), The lugs are replaced with high tension lugs, gone Is the power stage version. This kit is sold for several years without any changes. Its a very successful and extremely durable drum kit with excellent sound.

Generation 2a
Catalog LDR 0119 011020 – The drum shells are changed the shells are now made of; Birch. Philippine Mahogany and Falkata (outer to inner plies). The versions of the kits are now changed to Standard and Advantage

Standard = has separate lugs like the YD series, a metal snare drum and comes in 4 finishes (Mat Cranberry Red, Mat Marina Green, Mat Natural Wood and Mat Raven Black). Its basically the YD series with Stage Custom shells

Advantage = Retains the high-tension lugs used since 1995-6, includes a wooden snare drum, and comes in 6 finishes (Blue Metallic, Gold Metallic, Green Metallic, Violet Metallic, Cranberry Red, Raven Black). The Metallic’s are all paint finishes.

Generation 2b around 2003 to Q1 2008
Catalog LDR 0424-041020 – The drum stage custom drum series is changed yet again. Everything mounted on the shells is not mounted at the Notal point mounting, a Nobel & Cooley Drum Company patented process. Everything mounted to the shell as well as the vent hole are moved to the Notal point of the shell. The kits are now changed to Advantage and Nouevau

Advantage = The high tension lugs are replaced by separate lugs found on the Rydeen kits (which replaced the YD kits), they come in 8 finishes (fade Brown Amber, fade Raven Black, fade Cranberry Red, fade Marina Green, fade Purple Blue, fade Sapphire blue, fade Yellow Natural, Natural wood), I confirmed one of these kits with a 2003 date code on the label (QJN) Year (Q=0, J=3) Mo (N=7)

Advantage Nouveau = New lug which comprises a shell bolt, with a Yamaha designed fiber reinforced composite, quick change lug. This approach vastly reduces drum head changes. The shells are identical to the prior series with the exception that birch is replaced with oak on the outer plies for the matte finishes. There are 8 finishes (Oak outer ply = Matte Raven Black, Matte Sienna, Matte Cranberry Red, Birch outer ply = Natural Wood, Cranberry Red, Honey Amber, Fade Brown Amber, Fade Raven Black)

Generation 3 (2008 2014)
2008 Yamaha press release – Stage Custom now has new shells of 100% Birch the kits will ship in Mar of 2008, they include the same hardware and lugs as the prior Stage Custom Advantage, however are supplied with shorter drum shells. The kit is supplied in 20, 22 and 24 inch bass drum versions, in 8 lacquer finishes. The old badges go away and are replaced by a new Chrome and Gray rectangle badge.

2014 Yamaha press release – Yamaha announces the redesigned Stage Custom Birch drum set at the 2014 NAMM. Yamaha upgraded the shells with the same thicker ply concept used on Live Custom and rounded the bearing edges for more head to shell contact, which provides a fatter sound.
The Absolute style lug, which attaches to the shell using a single screw, requires fewer holes in the shell and less metal inside the drum, allowing the drums to resonate more fully. Die-cast claws and new spurs now adorn the bass drum and the snare drum now includes ten lugs for more precise tuning.
Stage Custom Birch kits also come in new sizes. Tom and floor tom sizes are now available at traditional depths and diameters, offering wider tuning and dynamic ranges. The floor toms, trimmed down to be under square, provide a better tone to attack balance
This concludes the changes through 2019"

Last edited:
The school where I work has five different Stage Custom kits, ranging from the 90’s to 2015. Our oldest one has deeper shells and a hanging floor tom, and no YESS mounts.
Over the years the toms have got shallower, the country of origin has changed, and the wood is now 100% birch. The current (wooden) snare has ten lugs, unlike all the previous models with eight.

As others have pointed out, the Stage Customs have changed over the years but the quality has stayed high. You could say it has risen over the years, in fact.

I'm a fan of the current generation Stage Customs but I do wish they had slightly deeper toms. I'd like to see 10x8 and 12x9 toms offered.

Excellent time line from Harry C!

Some things to note from the 2014 to present Stage Customs (Generation 4). They are identical to the new redesign as of 2008-2013 except for the following (Differences between Generation 3 (2008-2013 and Generation 4 (2014-Present):

1. Different badge, and the snare badge matches the rest of the kit, (The 2008-2013 versions had a snare badge that didn't match the rest of the kit)
2. 10 lug matching snare (instead of 8)
3. Standard Floor tom leg brackets (the 2008-2013 version had YESS leg brackets)
4. The exteriors of the bass drum hoops are matching gloss lacquer but the interiors of the bass drum hoops are natural wood and unfinished (the 2008-2013 versions had a matching gloss lacquer finish on both the exteriors and interiors).

I was a bit put off when Yamaha stopped finishing the inside of the bass drum hoops a few years ago. Exactly how much money did that save them? I would have paid an extra $20-$25 for that feature and not thought twice about it.

Agree with the bassdrum hoops, it seems like a lot/most of the companies do that now, especially on their lower/intermediate series kits. Maybe to differentiate from the high-end kits, when the shells usually are all birch or maple even on the lower lines. Yamaha was one of the last ones to still use all laquered hoops on a line like the Stage Customs, so it's a bit sad.

Agree with Yammyfan, would prefer to have the bass drum hoops finished. Seems like a pretty small thing to skip, but perhaps as petrez has suggested, it helps them differentiate their more upstream lines.

Everything changes - even when it’s not warranted sometimes. I’m surprised the wheel hasn’t been reinvented and now is a square and no longer functional. It will eliminate fossil fuels and we will have to ride cows and hogs- the only large mammals in abundance to ride. No need for asphalt/concrete highways - they would be covered in feces. So dirt and the organic compost highway. Moo-ving down that ole dirt road.

I was a bit put off when Yamaha stopped finishing the inside of the bass drum hoops a few years ago. Exactly how much money did that save them? I would have paid an extra $20-$25 for that feature and not thought twice about it.
The new SCs I saw today at Guitar Center had finished bass drum hoops. Ironically they were displayed right next to my DW Design piano black kit on the shelf and other than one being maple and one being birch, I’d say fit and finish on both are about equal. And the SCs are even cheaper.

I've got the Gen 3 Mk. I version (2008-2014). Love the "Raven Black" finish during that period. It has a rich, greenish hue to it, when the light hits it just right. At first, I just had the 18x15 bass drum. When I found the 22, 10, 12, 16 (and snare) that matched, I had to pull the trigger.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 32
Yes ..... they can keep up with the big dogs. Over the years (decades) they have changed quite a lot. And even the "oldest" 5000 series drums still have a bit of a following.

From another internet source .......

"Actual History of Yamaha Stage Custom..... According to Yamaha catalogs

Generation 1 1980 - 1995
1980 Yamaha catalog – “Stage” is the marketing name given to the YD-5000 series drum kits, this kit is made with 100% Philippine mahogany laminated shells, with YD-7000 hardware and retracting bass drum spurs.
1982 Japan Catalog – Refers to the series as the YD-5000G
1986 Yamaha USA Catalog – Refers to the kits as the “Stage 2” and the “Power Stage 2” series. The Bass drum spurs are now like the spurs used on the 1996 and later kits, however the kit still uses the YD-7000 series lugs

Generation 2 1995 - Q1 2008
1995-6 Yamaha Sites and press releases – Reference the establishment of the “Stage Custom” series, The shells are changed to add an inner lamination of Falkata (more exact falcata), The lugs are replaced with high tension lugs, gone Is the power stage version. This kit is sold for several years without any changes. Its a very successful and extremely durable drum kit with excellent sound.

Generation 2a
Catalog LDR 0119 011020 – The drum shells are changed the shells are now made of; Birch. Philippine Mahogany and Falkata (outer to inner plies). The versions of the kits are now changed to Standard and Advantage

Standard = has separate lugs like the YD series, a metal snare drum and comes in 4 finishes (Mat Cranberry Red, Mat Marina Green, Mat Natural Wood and Mat Raven Black). Its basically the YD series with Stage Custom shells

Advantage = Retains the high-tension lugs used since 1995-6, includes a wooden snare drum, and comes in 6 finishes (Blue Metallic, Gold Metallic, Green Metallic, Violet Metallic, Cranberry Red, Raven Black). The Metallic’s are all paint finishes.

Generation 2b around 2003 to Q1 2008
Catalog LDR 0424-041020 – The drum stage custom drum series is changed yet again. Everything mounted on the shells is not mounted at the Notal point mounting, a Nobel & Cooley Drum Company patented process. Everything mounted to the shell as well as the vent hole are moved to the Notal point of the shell. The kits are now changed to Advantage and Nouevau

Advantage = The high tension lugs are replaced by separate lugs found on the Rydeen kits (which replaced the YD kits), they come in 8 finishes (fade Brown Amber, fade Raven Black, fade Cranberry Red, fade Marina Green, fade Purple Blue, fade Sapphire blue, fade Yellow Natural, Natural wood), I confirmed one of these kits with a 2003 date code on the label (QJN) Year (Q=0, J=3) Mo (N=7)

Advantage Nouveau = New lug which comprises a shell bolt, with a Yamaha designed fiber reinforced composite, quick change lug. This approach vastly reduces drum head changes. The shells are identical to the prior series with the exception that birch is replaced with oak on the outer plies for the matte finishes. There are 8 finishes (Oak outer ply = Matte Raven Black, Matte Sienna, Matte Cranberry Red, Birch outer ply = Natural Wood, Cranberry Red, Honey Amber, Fade Brown Amber, Fade Raven Black)

Generation 3 (2008 2014)
2008 Yamaha press release – Stage Custom now has new shells of 100% Birch the kits will ship in Mar of 2008, they include the same hardware and lugs as the prior Stage Custom Advantage, however are supplied with shorter drum shells. The kit is supplied in 20, 22 and 24 inch bass drum versions, in 8 lacquer finishes. The old badges go away and are replaced by a new Chrome and Gray rectangle badge.

2014 Yamaha press release – Yamaha announces the redesigned Stage Custom Birch drum set at the 2014 NAMM. Yamaha upgraded the shells with the same thicker ply concept used on Live Custom and rounded the bearing edges for more head to shell contact, which provides a fatter sound.
The Absolute style lug, which attaches to the shell using a single screw, requires fewer holes in the shell and less metal inside the drum, allowing the drums to resonate more fully. Die-cast claws and new spurs now adorn the bass drum and the snare drum now includes ten lugs for more precise tuning.
Stage Custom Birch kits also come in new sizes. Tom and floor tom sizes are now available at traditional depths and diameters, offering wider tuning and dynamic ranges. The floor toms, trimmed down to be under square, provide a better tone to attack balance
This concludes the changes through 2019"
Thanks!

And thanks everyone for the replies.

Btw, what's the deal on the Rydeen kit? Looks like Yamaha has an even cheaper kit?

Btw, what's the deal on the Rydeen kit? Looks like Yamaha has an even cheaper kit?
Rydeen uses poplar shells. Yamaha has had starter/entry level kits for a while. They had the DP series, the YD series, the GigMaker ....... looks like the Rydeen is the only one currently being offered below the Stage Customs, according to the Yamaha website.

I've got the Gen 3 Mk. I version (2008-2014). Love the "Raven Black" finish during that period. It has a rich, greenish hue to it, when the light hits it just right. At first, I just had the 18x15 bass drum. When I found the 22, 10, 12, 16 (and snare) that matched, I had to pull the trigger.

I have the matching 16 x 20 bass drum, same greenish hue. Great drum!

I have the matching 16 x 20 bass drum, same greenish hue. Great drum!
I really like this finish. It's got a lot more depth than most Yamaha finishes. I'll hoping to find a matching 14" floor tom.

Rydeen uses poplar shells. Yamaha has had starter/entry level kits for a while. They had the DP series, the YD series, the GigMaker ....... looks like the Rydeen is the only one currently being offered below the Stage Customs, according to the Yamaha website.
Although the Gig Maker was outsourced and barely recognizable as a true Yamaha drum.

From all the Yamaha things ever released, those,and the Stage Custom carbon lugs were the worst ideas they had.

The Rydeen isn’t that much better but at least looks and feels a bit more like Yamaha.

The DP would be the best out of the three.

I recently scored one of these kits in the same sizes & finish for $300. After one gig, i love it so far! im considering putting clear emperors on the rack toms, and a vintage emperor on the floor tom. What's your go to heads for it?

Back