Hating on the Stock Snare

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
People who buy the Yamaha Stage custom birch usually ditch or sell the stock snare, but this time after getting a new one recently, I decided to upgrade it a bit. I put a real Remo Emperor and Diplomat on it, DIxon Sleeved Washers, Puresound Blaster snares, and new black nickel 2.3mm hoops from DFD on batter and snare side. I have to say, this snare is pure awesomeness as I used it for a recent metal show, it cut through everything! It's really a perfect snare now and I never used birch snares before. Normally I use a very old Gretsch round badge or Yamaha Musashi Oak (13x6), this one is right up there with them, my band loved the new snare and it's really cool to have an all black kit with black nickel hoops (i switched out all the hoops on the kit).

yammyfan

People who buy the Yamaha Stage custom birch usually ditch or sell the stock snare, but this time after getting a new one recently, I decided to upgrade it a bit. I put a real Remo Emperor and Diplomat on it, DIxon Sleeved Washers, Puresound Blaster snares, and new black nickel 2.3mm hoops from DFD on batter and snare side. I have to say, this snare is pure awesomeness as I used it for a recent metal show, it cut through everything! It's really a perfect snare now and I never used birch snares before. Normally I use a very old Gretsch round badge or Yamaha Musashi Oak (13x6), this one is right up there with them, my band loved the new snare and it's really cool to have an all black kit with black nickel hoops (i switched out all the hoops on the kit).
This is great to hear because my new snare is one of those 10 lug Stage Custom snares. I like it a lot already and that's with the stock heads.

Will be installing Hendrix sleeves and new heads next week (y)

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
For drummers who only play local bars, clubs, festivals, etc, i think basically any drum set (including stock snare drum) from $500-600 and up can sound at least "very acceptable" with professional drum heads and decent tuning ability..

dwsabianguy

I only own one matching snare; I got a Luxor snare with the Rogers Holiday. That snare sounds incredible, but I still don’t play it out much because I worry about the six lugs per head. One of these days it’s going to get some sturdy hoops one way or another.

The rest of my kits came to me without snares, and I don’t really put all that much stock into how it looks with a matching snare in the least visible position. Sometimes I even use non matching kick drums! But I’ve played similar drums that match except for the finish and I’ve just found snares I like better. And help usually the best match tonally doesn’t match the finish; my big Gretsches sound best with a big metal Ludwig between my knees. It’s all about the sound and feel I want, and I couldn’t really care less about the aesthetic as long as the drums look nice, you know?

Add to that the fact that I got a Black Beauty for the same price that I can get a BCAN snare for... I’ll take the Black Beauty every time.

philrudd

This is great to hear because my new snare is one of those 10 lug Stage Custom snares. I like it a lot already and that's with the stock heads.
Is it me or do 10-lug snares ALWAYS sound great? Do manufacturers only bother with a 10-lug if it's going to be top-of-the-line?

cbphoto

Gold Member

mesazoo

So it is no longer a stock snare.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I have played matching stock snares that were damn good.
Premier Signia, Premier Genista, Gretsch Renown, Starclassic Maple, to say the least. Those ones, I even had the chance to play two depth each. Each time really good.
I remember a Sonor Force 3000 which had a pretty solid stock snare too.
one the other hand I ran through bad stock snare : Tama Rockstar (wood or steel), Tama Silverstar.

philrudd

Nope. I have the Tama LAL145, the "Super" aluminum. It's a chrome plated 1.6mm aluminum shell with ten lugs, yet cheap-ish hoops. It has a very prominent ping that is so bad they discontinued that version. Now they offer the much better sounding "Classic Dry" aluminum, LAL1455.
Interesting, thanks. I used to spend a little more time looking at online snares for sale with 10 lugs, assuming they were inherently higher quality; don't think I'll be doing that any more...

BonsaiMagpie

In my thread here I have talked about why my stock snare is horrible. I didn't go in pre-conceived that it would be bad, I have experimented with heads and wires and such. It's fundamentally an unpleasant sounding snare. That being said, I have used a combination of heads wire and gel that I find I can get a good sound out of. But Mapex must now offer the Snare trade in on this kit for a reason, and it can't be because the stock snare is great.

yammyfan

Interesting, thanks. I used to spend a little more time looking at online snares for sale with 10 lugs, assuming they were inherently higher quality; don't think I'll be doing that any more...
Yamaha's 10 lug snares are safe bets. I have both the steel and the birch Stage Custom snares and they're terrific. Can't speak for other brands however.