Hate to be one of those guys but I have a question regarding throwoffs

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
I have a question regarding 2 brandname throwoffs

I am asking here because this where I will find first hand experience.
I bought a third snare mainly because it was a very good deal and I could not resist.
I bought a Pork Pie Big Brass; I find that I do not care for the throw off so besides ascetic appeal what should I consider between a Dunnett or a Trick? They are both good and in the same price range but should I consider one over the other in your opinion? Perhaps there is another brand worth looking at.

Any thoughts are welcome as always.

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Neither throw off is universal,though adaptor plates are available for the Trick and the Dunnett is adjustable,but either one may not fit every snare out there.The throw off on the Pork pie seems to be ubiquitious these days and comes standard on a number of snare drums.Is yours broken?If not ...why bother replacing it?It's a simple and reliable design.

Steve B

I have a few snares with Dunnett and Trick throw offs.. I prefer the Trick.The Dunnett for me has a tendency to loosen off while playing. My drum builder said it was a design flaw that they have fixed in the newer models.. Both are heavy duty.. The Trick has a cool lever that does strainer adjustments without using the dial.. So it's easy to change tones and go back and forth with precision. I'm not sure if they have the same hole dimensions for mounting but I do know that all strainers in general are not standardized.. I've switched strainers before on other snares and have had to drill new holes..

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Neither throw off is universal,though adaptor plates are available for the Trick and the Dunnett is adjustable,but either one may not fit every snare out there.The throw off on the Pork pie seems to be ubiquitious these days and comes standard on a number of snare drums.Is yours broken?If not ...why bother replacing it?It's a simple and reliable design.

Steve B
You are right, it does function well except the tensioning knob (sic) rubs against the handle.
I thought perhaps there might also be some other advantages to changing it out as I have noticed on threads that many who purchased this drum have. It is a minor irratation and not a nessesity and if adaptors are required that puts that idea out of my head immediatly.

Thanks

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Well thanks; that straightened me out pretty quick. Not really a nessasary change.
That is why I asked on this sight; simple, straight answers.