Has someone ever given you the Heimlich maneuver when you were playing?

MrPockets

Gold Member
You know, you stuffed your face full of shrimp and the wedding reception before you go on stage and you start choking on the shrimp as you swallow it down then, someone (fellow band member, bride's father, the DJ...) give you the Heimlich maneuver as you are playing so the band doesn't need to stop. Then you spew shrimp all over yourself.

Or some other similar situation.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
No.but I've given the Heimlich three times.Once to my brother in a restaurant because he was choking on roast beef.

Once in my kitchen to my son who was chocking on spaghetti.

And lastly also in a restaurant to a stranger .Not sure what he was choking on

It really does work when done properly.

Steve B

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It really does work when done properly.

Steve B
It sure does! As a one time recipient, I can say that it doesn't feel good to get, but it sure beats choking.

I don't think it would be possible to play and receive the Heimlich maneuver at the same time without having to stop.

toddmc

Gold Member
***Community Service Announcement*****
The Heimlich maneuver is not recommended to help out people choking (you know how they like to change these things once every couple of years).
Apparently we're back to just a good solid whack with an open palm between the shoulder blades to dislodge the offending material (at least that's what I was told in my First Aid renewal a few months ago).
Recommendations my differ between countries though!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The Heimlich maneuver is not recommended to help out people choking (you know how they like to change these things once every couple of years).
Apparently we're back to just a good solid whack with an open palm between the shoulder blades to dislodge the offending material (at least that's what I was told in my First Aid renewal a few months ago).
That's funny. The whole claim by Heimlich was that back slaps could dislodge the blockage and cause it to become lodged in the windpipe, thus exacerbating the problem. That was the whole reason that in the US the Heimlich maneuver became standard practice. I have no idea if one is really better than the other, but I do know the Heimlich maneuver works.

Smoke

Silver Member
I've heard that the hind-lick maneuver produces the same results, but I've never seen it done ;-)

Lunar Satellite Brian

Strange, once I was playing drums at a show and started choking and my mom came over to perform the Heimlich maneuver on me while I was playing, that ended up pretty well, but then she got caught on my cape and I flung backwards and knocked my snare over, so I ran off the stage crying and we ended the show early.

porter

Platinum Member
There was a great Radiolab episode about this.

Heimlich began to claim completely ridiculous effects of the Heimlich later in his life and I know for sure that I will use the 'whack' method in the future.

Here's a link to the podcast.

Chunky

Silver Member
You know, you stuffed your face full of shrimp and the wedding reception before you go on stage and you start choking on the shrimp as you swallow it down then, someone (fellow band member, bride's father, the DJ...) give you the Heimlich maneuver as you are playing so the band doesn't need to stop. Then you spew shrimp all over yourself.

Or some other similar situation.
Is this seriously something that happens at wedding gigs?!

I like the idea of free food mind so I can see how it would...

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Is this seriously something that happens at wedding gigs?!

I like the idea of free food mind so I can see how it would...
It might appear that this is a really stupid thread and that would never really pertain to anything. This is not true. In Australia, IQs are low and "shrimp on the barbie" are plentiful. Within Australia, choking on shrimp while playing the drums is the 3rd largest cause of accidental death, right behind being eaten alive by drop bears.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
It might appear that this is a really stupid thread and that would never really pertain to anything. This is not true. In Australia, IQs are low and "shrimp on the barbie" are plentiful. Within Australia, choking on shrimp while playing the drums is the 3rd largest cause of accidental death, right behind being eaten alive by drop bears.
And don't forget the drunken games of 'snake-legging' at parties.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16697_the-8-most-baffling-sports-from-around-world.html

Refer to #5.

tamadrm

Platinum Member

Yes it does differ.I'm a lifesaver level instructor for the American Heart Association for first aid and CPR with and without AED and we still teach the Heimlich which American Heart found to more effective than back blows.

Steve B

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I thought it was playing beer pong with 5 litre buckets instead of pint glasses.