The idea behind it is to play on the least ideal surface you can. It works out your wrist in a way that's beneficial.The only thing you should teach your body to do is play a drum kit not a pillow, and if you get that part down you'll be able to play a pillow all day long without ever practicing on one if that's what excites you
I do. Folks get all uppity when I bring my floor tom in to play on while we watch TV, though. One of my favorite things to do as an exercise is play jazz ride cymbal patterns on my floor tom while playing my left hand as normal. The more up-tempo you get, the more difficult.Why not practice rudiments on a low tuned floor tom? You still have to learn how to play a floor tom not a pillow.
I do. It's primarily an exercise in controlling bounce, though, which is different from what we're doing playing on a pillow; that is playing with literally no bounce, and in fact near total absorption of energy.Why not practice your chops on a practice pad and do not utilize the bounce of the pad?
Most pads I've played are trying to emulate the bounce of a snare drum. Ignoring that 90% of the time seems a bit weird. Nobody is saying use a pillow instead of a pad. It's just another neat trick to practice something else.The pad is a joke if you spoil yourself with its inherent rebound. What I suggest is practice clean and slow on a pad without bounce 90% of the time, the other 10% feel free to spoil yourself.
You're of course welcome to hold that opinion, but I think you miss the point.That will teach someone discipline while improving chops, the pillow is just silly in my opinion.
No argument here. In fact, I think you might be surprised if you spent a few minutes on a pillow, and then moved on to focus practice time on your floor tom. It's like how swinging two bats on ready will make one bat seem effortless when you're finally up to the plate.Also...if you practice your chops on a floor tom your hands will learn to get good sound out of it.
That wasn't what I was getting after. I'm talking about developing total flexibility so that you can play on any surface.And you misunderstood when I said "correct feel", you make it sound like I'm about to take out a drum dial to dial in someone else's drums accordingly to how I prefer my drums to feel lol.
That's great, and I absolutely agree. Spend as much time as you can at your kit. When you can't be at your kit, practice in other ways. Be creative. If you can't practice at all, practice music in your head. May not be ideal, but it's all learning/development in the end.In the end, we're all wired different and for some pillow practice might help but for me I find less obstacles to overcome the more time I spend practicing on the actual drum kit.
On a side note, disregarding the pillows, I don't think there are any surfaces in my dwelling or car that have not been hit with a drum stick at least once(probably para diddled...). I'm often fascinated by the tonal and physical qualities of almost any substance or surface.