Has Gretch quality decreased? We’re Gretch drums sold to another company?

RevWrona

Hello all,

I was at a jazz jam the other day; myself and other drummers were talking about the Gretch Catalina Bop kit. One of the guys said that the quality has diminished since they got sold. I’ve looked up some info and they were sold to Baldwin Piano co. In 1967. Bought back by a Gretch family member back in 1985. In 2000 they made an agreement with Kaman music but it looks they’re still owned by Gretch. Does anyone know if my information is wrong or does it look like my buddy was wrong?

Scott

lefty2

Platinum Member
I I am pretty sure that drum Workshop bought Gretsch a few years ago. I do not own any Gretsch drums but just judging from looking at them in the stores and online and reading what their owners have said about them recently oh, I would have to say that their quality has not dropped. They look and sound like very fine musical instruments to me

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
DW got them a new wrapping machine. That's what the most complaints were about 10 since 10-15 years ago.. From most accounts quality is better. I'd did just heard a horror story about a snare, but that being said, I've heard stories about most major companies. It's how you're dealt with after that's the main thing.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
DW bought the distribution rights to Gretsch. Gretsch and their overseas affiliates arre still making Gretsch drums. There may be a mistake or two out there but over all, No!

Morrisman

Platinum Member
If you were discussing the Catalina Kit, its worth considering that these are made in Taiwan, and sell for a fraction of the price ofthe USA kits. So if someone thought the quality had dropped, its because you were looking at a Catalina, almost the cheapest model Gretsch sells.

notvinnie

Hello all,

I was at a jazz jam the other day; myself and other drummers were talking about the Gretch Catalina Bop kit.
Catalina is not real Gretsch. Catalina is a way for Gretsch to make easy money while they get cheap labor to make inferior products and slap their logo onto them.

Also, it's GRETSCH not GRETCH.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I think Jasper used to make the shells, then they switched to Keller. And I think Keller uses the same exact formula that Jasper did, but you might want to double check

notvinnie

I think Jasper used to make the shells, then they switched to Keller. And I think Keller uses the same exact formula that Jasper did, but you might want to double check
That is only for their U.S. made drums. Their foreign made lines are indeed decent drums, and sound pretty good, but real Gretsch (USA Custom, Broadkaster, Brooklyn) are much, much better sounding and better quality.

justadrummer

As reported by others the Catalina drums are imported. As are the Renown, Energy and Blackhawk lines. I've played many imported Gretsch kits as back line over the years. They are decent drums for the money, the Renowns are particularly nice at their price point. And I don't think that their quality has gone down.

USA Gretsch drums are a separate entity entirely. The USA Custom, Broadcaster, and Brooklyn drum lines are all made in Ridgeland, South Carolina using Keller shells. They are top quality drums. Currently I own five sets of American made Gretsch drums, including a set of brand new USA Customs that I received this past June. The brand new kit came to me absolutely perfect. I ordered more pieces to expand the kit.