Has anyone's drumming actually moved you to tears?

Drumlove65

Mr Gergo Borlai with the Kaltenaker trio '07 drum solo. The video is on his page on this site. The caption reads "the big solo". I watch it continuously for inspiration. He makes four drums sound like twenty.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Music yes, drums no. There was a TV theme when I was young that always made me cry. There was something about the melody that did it.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I went to see Bill Laurance (Snarky Puppy pianist/keyboard player) with my sister and a few friends. My sister remarked after Robert 'Sput' Seawright's solo that it was the first time she had ever felt close to tears from a drum solo. I guess drums are normally dependent on some sort of musical context in order to fully convey emotion, but they can.

Levon Helm: The Last Waltz, his press roll leading into the chorus of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and the incredible way he sings and plays, gets me EVERY time!

mandrew

Gold Member
There was a guy that played drums in the band when I was I High School. He was so bad, his playing moved me to tears . . .

Otto

Platinum Member
An interesting question.

I have tried to generate a melancholic emotive response with purely drums...I have yet to find success.

We can get the ultra aggressive response far easier than something like a flute...but not sadness.

I've wondered if its about loss of a moment...where something that holds sustained pitches can create something to be lost, the relative fast attack/decay of the 'drum set' creates a mindset in the listener where they are ready for the lost moment.

I came about this hypothesis from an observation that the closest thing I could do on a drum set was a tight even roll...or a cymbal swell.

Tears of joy...sure...my own as well as others...but not melancholy.

Ben Corbitt

There's been 1-2 times i've gotten wet eyes on stage.
Each time, it was the song's content evoking a potent emotional response.
My drumming allowed me to emote in a very ideal way.
"Do you Realize? That happiness makes you cry" - The Flaming Lips