Has anyone else had good experiences with used gear from GC?

Autopilot

Has anyone else had good experiences ordering used gear from GC online?

I try to hit Guitar Centers website and cruise for used gear about once a week. Sometimes I find a gem or 2 that are priced way lower than expected. Ive ordered a few things that seemed to be too good to be true but pleasantly surprised when it showed up in great condition.

For example.....I ordered a 18in Z custom crash of $75 and a SKB hard case for a 12 in tom for $30. Both of them showed up in near new condition. The strange thing is I see other 18in Z's in worse condition....but at a different location... listed for $120+.

My most recent purchase was a 2 sided/ 3 leg Yamaha Hex Rack that came with 3 boom stands. I'm not sure if someone priced it wrong but I bought it for $175 and it was on my doorstop 4 days later. The only thing missing it the Yamaha logo clip that gos on the front crossbar. A replacement is $10.

I've heard some horror stories about used gear from GC I just thought Id share a few good experiences. Thankfully I live in Chicago and if I get anything unacceptable I can just run to the local GC down the road and return it.

Last edited:
For Christmas for myself last year (2012), I purchased a set of Toca Synergy Congas in dark burgandy with the stand for $145.00. Used but in great condition and they sound great.

I have a GC store about 10 minutes away from me. I think you are wanting to know if I've ever ordered via the web from GC. No. I bought the Congas on site in their store.

Still for $145 they with the stand, they were steal.

For Christmas for myself last year (2012), I purchased a set of Toca Synergy Congas in dark burgandy with the stand for $145.00. Used but in great condition and they sound great.

I have a GC store about 10 minutes away from me. I think you are wanting to know if I've ever ordered via the web from GC. No. I bought the Congas on site in their store.

Still for $145 they with the stand, they were steal.

Yeah...ordering online. I changed the thread title....thanks.

I very rarely go to the local GC. I have an amazing drum shop down the road from me called Vic's Drum Shop. Their prices are pretty much the same as GC if not better. They usually don't keep used gear though.

Most used 3 leg Hex Racks go for $350-400 easily...and that's not with the extra boom stands. I was pretty excited to get one for $175.

people like to bash GC but for me they have always been fair with me. Granted its not like the old days (10-15 years ago) when you could really get them to wheel and deal on product. All in all i like GC and will spend thousand more in the future with them, unless something better comes along.

I always cruise the local GC for a deal. I scored a concert Pearl snare with a case and a heavy duty concert stand for less then the price of the stand itself. I asked to speak to the manager and he took another 10% off the price because it had been there for more then 6 months. I have no problems with my local GC. I do have to say I only use if for sale items and to cruise the used items. I do not buy from GC online. The majority of my cash goes to Steve Weiss Music or Percussion Source.

Also! Keep an eye out for missmarked items in the new section. When I got my current drumkit at the "local" (it's an hour away...) GC I got a new snare as well. Went through everything they had under $200, new and used. Well, the one I picked was $150, I got $40 for tradeing in the snare from the used shell pack I was buying (13x6 wood snare, just wasn't my style) and 10% off for black friday (I think it was 10%). All told, I payed $100 for a brand new Morgan Rose signature snare. I didn't even know the price was wrong until someone pointed out it should have been a $350 snare.

I always keep an eye on GC's used gear online. I have gotten some really excellent deals - paiste 19" twenty crash for 89.99, twenty 20" ride 109.99. Occasionally, I have even bought used items and flipped them on ebay for a profit. One thing I do is always call the store where the item is located and ask about condition. That way if it arrives and it is not how they described it, I can get the shipping cost refunded. I know GC gets a bad rap, but I have had largely positive experiences.

I would also add that I like that I can bring my kids to the store and I don't get eyes from the clerks when they touch everything (ironically, its usually older guys that I see bashing away on the electronic drums) - I wouldn't buy a floor model from GC, but my kids love it and I get to shop for drums under the guise of a family outing.

I always keep an eye on GC's used gear online. I have gotten some really excellent deals - paiste 19" twenty crash for 89.99, twenty 20" ride 109.99. Occasionally, I have even bought used items and flipped them on ebay for a profit. One thing I do is always call the store where the item is located and ask about condition. That way if it arrives and it is not how they described it, I can get the shipping cost refunded. I know GC gets a bad rap, but I have had largely positive experiences.

I've only ventured to buy used from GC in their stores. I picked up the coolest steel drum for $100 ($300 retail) in great condition.

If it arrives not as described, is it hard to get shipping refunded?

Always had great experiences with Guitar Center on guitar stuff, bass stuff, and drum stuff, both new and used. I've never ordered a used item without seeing it first, though.

The fact that you have 30 days to return even used stuff is crazy cool.

Sometimes they have ridiculously low prices on used stuff and other times it's high. Weird how that works.

I've only ventured to buy used from GC in their stores. I picked up the coolest steel drum for $100 ($300 retail) in great condition.

If it arrives not as described, is it hard to get shipping refunded?

I have never had an issue getting shipping refunded when the item was not as described. It has only happended to me twice - a couple of cymbals had some denting that was not noticed by the sales clerk when I called. My local store refunded the full cost plus shipping when I showed them the cymbals and informed them about what I was told. Usually, if you know what questions to ask, you can get a good idea of the item's condition by calling the store where its located. Just make sure to ask the clerk to grab the item and look at it while you are on the phone. Sometimes they will email more pics as well.

I have had nothing but good results with GC. Everything I have ordered off the website has always come in in the advertised condition. Shame other companies can't do as well.

I buy my stuff in person when possible, I've never had a problem.

This.

I only buy from the used sections at Guitar Center. Having kept my eyes on craigslist for years, I have a decent summation of what used items will (and won't) sell for. I've taken advantage of a couple of screaming deals at Guitar Center, and those transactions have kept my hopes up, and I go back every couple weeks, when I'm in the neighborhood. Sure, that 1980s Acrolite priced at $250 is ridiculous, but that 22" 1960s A Zildjian for $50 is also ridiculous, but in a good way...

Zildjian New Beats 14" : $119.00
Paiste 16" 2002 Crash: $119.00
Sabian B8 Ride: $39.99 (was low on Cash so had to go with this :p)

all online and really happy with the stuff. but i do make sure that I call them up, ask the person about the condition, ask for some images online. Secondly, a thorough online search, forums etc help me find out if the rate is fine or not. but yes, I have, as yet, NEVER taken a chance as if there is even a single doubt about any problem in the cymbal or product, i'd reject and start looking again, i'm not from USA so can't even think about anything going wrong. have had Good luck so far :D

Next stop: BASS DRUM PEDAL :p

Used items is about all I look for at GC.

I try not to buy too much stuff there and instead support the local drum shops. With the exception of the a$$hats near me, but that's another story. I would much rather drive up to Minnesota and support the local shops there.

However, I did score a pretty good deal at Christmas at a Minnesota GC. I found a 13x3 Pearl piccolo snare for $90. Not too bad.

I've got a nice Paiste Twenty Prototype ride that I got used from GC...would have never been able to afford it otherwise...so yes, I've found some good things there. I've also actually had some good luck with trading in or selling some used items to them that I got some decent prices for.

I bought a nice Yamaha Oak Custom snare in mint condition and a Fender Nashville Telecaster that was also in great condition for very fair prices, no complaints here.

A few weeks back searching for a snare i looked at their used stuff. It seemed like they had the most acrolites for under a hundered dollars than anywhere else, even e-bay. I didnt buy, but their used prices seemed to be pretty realistic on a lot of stuff.

Ive had great experiences. Ive bought nearly 2000 in sabian paragons for 700. Demon drives for 250 (1 and a half yrs ago). Pearl h2000 hi hat for 100.

You have to monitor the used site like a hawk and if you see something pop up that is a great deal its best to call the store and buy it. Ive done this 3 or 4 times now...no issues.

Back