Hardware Pack recommdations

Rolltide

Buying in a pack seems most economical as far as getting stands, hi hat and kick pedal. Based upon that , what do y’all recommend as being a good value but also has a great pedal etc ,?

if you can afford it get the yamaha 800 series or tama HG5 pack. you will never need an upgrade from those. if you want to spend less than you really can't do any better than the yamaha 700 or the tama roadpro pack. i swear by yamaha 800 series hardware, they're excellent and honestly i wouldn't consider any other brand or series.

One more vote for the Yamaha 700s. They're very sturdy yet not too heavy, and adjusting them is super smooth and easy.

Buying in a pack seems most economical as far as getting stands, hi hat and kick pedal. Based upon that , what do y’all recommend as being a good value but also has a great pedal etc ,?
This is no different than buying drums within certain price-points. every manufacturer has great stuff and is highly competitive and highly comparable in quality. Anything at a given price from the major players will be more or less as good as everything else in that range. Go with what you like the looks of and what meets your desires for geared cymbal tilters, snare baskets, spring and/or footboard angle adjustments on the hi-hat etc, single or double braced or flat base. Do you want two or three legs on the hi-hat? Do you care if the legs rotate to get out of way of double pedals. Memory locks? Others probably have more "features" I didn't list. Look things over carefully for adjustments and such. I recently bought the Tama Classic Light Weight stuff. I love the cymbal stands and the snare stand. I have a love-hate thing going with the hi-hat. It feels, sounds and plays very well; however, the adjustments for the spring tension and footboard angle are about as cumbersome as it gets--at least for me. I don't know if they have hardware packs, but there are stores online who still have Sakae HW in stock at closeout discontinued pricing. Company is gone, so caveat emptor.

Also, people tend to be rather persnickety about kick drum pedals. I would strongly encourage you to select that independent of the pack itself.

The Yamaha 700 for sure if you are gigging a lot the savings on weight is another plus. The cymbal stand all have the hidden boom arm which is always handy too. The pedal is decent, single chain drive, smooth and responsive.

Until I discovered the glories of the Yamaha FP9C earlier this year, I played nothing but the Yamaha 700 series bass drum pedal on almost all my professional gigs-- like 1000s of gigs. So, another very enthusiastic endorsement of the Yamaha 700 series hardware pack.

Tama iron cobra 900 power glide kick pedals and HH905D hi hat stand, Pearl BC 930 stands...all awesome IMO. :D (y)

Nowadays I would hardly ever buy double braced hardware anymore. The Yamaha 700 series is great, Tamas single braced stands are just as good to my taste. I used to use a set of roadpro stands, then some years ago I bought a whole set of single braced stagemasters which are impressively good fot the money. The big (and heavy) case with all my roadpro stuff is since then only standing around in the garage.

Bass drum pedals I tend to buy separately since it is highly subjective which pedal feels alright under your foot. The pedals included in the packages might be a good choice as a spare pedal, so they still can be helpful.

Another vote for Yammy. The HW 780 pack is the shiz for lightweight set ups.

I'll be the kink in the chain and say to look at Gibraltar. I'm really impressed with their kick drum pedals. Our church bought this pack, and it gets used for hours each week and has never failed. It feels pretty darn good too.

I always buy a pedal separately. I've never been impressed with kick pedals that come with Hardware Packs. Granted, I haven't tried the "cheap" pedals that come with the newer hardware packs, so maybe they're great now.

Pedals are too important and individualized to leave to chance. I have a DW 9000 that is great, but I really really like my cheap Tama Speed Cobra 310. It was $100 and it feels just as good as the 9000. The cheaper Iron Cobra pedals would be just as good too.

Did anyone mention Yamaha yet? :p

Per @MusiQmaN's post. For uber-portability Yamaha's Crosstown series can't be beat. If you want something more rubust, but still portable, Yamaha's 700 series. You can go heavier, but it really isn't necessary.

Did anyone mention Yamaha yet? :p

Per @MusiQmaN's post. For uber-portability Yamaha's Crosstown series can't be beat. If you want something more rubust, but still portable, Yamaha's 700 series. You can go heavier, but it really isn't necessary.
I forgot the 600 series.

Loved those for cymbal stands.

The 700 was too close to the 800 and 900 series in weight for me.

The crosstown was just as stable/robust, but could accept tom holders and such.

The only thing that can be against it for some, were the looks.

As others have said, the Yamaha is great, but also the Tama Stage Master series are great too. The Iron Cobra 200 that comes with the pack is top notch! Also, the hi hat is spring tension adjustable and has a rotatable tripod. The snare basket also rotates 360 degrees. Gearless/infinite adjust cymbal tilters with the cool "push button" wing nuts. It's also lighter in weight overall than the Yamahas. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Another vote for Yamaha stands. Mine are well over 20 years old and are still in great shape and function perfectly. The only maintenance I've done is to lightly lube all the threads with automotive grease. And that was about 15 years ago. Other than that, they have not been treated gently.

Tama makes really good hardware too. I had a Tama stand and like Yamaha, it was bulletproof.

Back