Hardware DIY/Mods/Repairs Thread

Hey all, I got my kit back yesterday and after 7 years in storage, the hardware needs a bit of TLC. The chrome is a bit pitted and maybe a bit oxidized. Is there any product I can buy that would be good for restoring it?

Vinegar!

I the past year I started using this, and it works wonders. It doesn't scratch the chrome, and leaves it shiny. For about $3 you can restore all things chrome. If the chrome is really dirty, let it set in the vinegar for an hour or two, longer if needed. Rinse in water, and wipe dry with microfiber towels, like you would find in the auto section of Wal-Mart. (don't use bath towels-they are coarse and can scratch the chrome finish)

I use the clear vinegar. 5% acid content is all the bottle has to say. I've cleaned up the chrome on 3 Tama sets from the '80's, and they look almost as good as new.

I wanted to stop that awful clunking sound when you open your hi-hat too fast. This also slows down the upward motion of the hi-hat springing up. I modified a Tama Roadpro hi-hat stand.

So I grabbed a spring from one of the screw spikes (which were the right diameter!)...

430952_132438036877215_100003330571481_138061_521044145_n.jpg

As you can see one screw is missing its spring.

395320_132437903543895_100003330571481_138059_1146985284_n.jpg

And I placed it on the lower pull rod just above that rubber ring above hi-hat chain.

403640_132437980210554_100003330571481_138060_1006746433_n.jpg

Method:
1. Open the hi-hat a little so that the pedal can be pushed down to reveal the lower part of the hi-hat pull rod below the main tube.
2. Unscrew floor spike and slip off spring.
3. Use pliers to bend one end of the spring open enough so the spring can be coiled around the thin post (the lower part of the pull rod) above the hi-hat chain.
4. Do the same to the other end of the spring as well (I did not do this but it would make things easier).
5. Twist the spring onto the rod (be careful to not pierce your fingers with the ends of the spring).
6. It might be a good idea to use pliers to bend the bottom end of the spring (which may protrude a little more from the rest of the spring now) into a place where it is less likely to snag on something (like trouser cuffs). In this case I let it rest ontop of that rubber stopper.

I wanted to stop that awful clunking sound when you open your hi-hat too fast. This also slows down the upward motion of the hi-hat springing up. I modified a Tama Roadpro hi-hat stand.

So I grabbed a spring from one of the screw spikes (which were the right diameter!)...

And I placed it on the lower pull rod just above that rubber ring above hi-hat chain.

Method:
1. Open the hi-hat a little so that the pedal can be pushed down to reveal the lower part of the hi-hat pull rod below the main tube.
2. Unscrew floor spike and slip off spring.
3. Use pliers to bend one end of the spring open enough so the spring can be coiled around the thin post (the lower part of the pull rod) above the hi-hat chain.
4. Do the same to the other end of the spring as well (I did not do this but it would make things easier).
5. Twist the spring onto the rod (be careful to not pierce your fingers with the ends of the spring).
6. It might be a good idea to use pliers to bend the bottom end of the spring (which may protrude a little more from the rest of the spring now) into a place where it is less likely to snag on something (like trouser cuffs). In this case I let it rest ontop of that rubber stopper.

Wow, very resourceful! I think I will try this as well for smoother hihat operation.

Hi guys, just wondering if there is any way of mounting a cymbal off the roof beam in my drum shed. It can take the weight, and is around 4" tall by 1" thick. Thanks :)

Hi guys, just wondering if there is any way of mounting a cymbal off the roof beam in my drum shed. It can take the weight, and is around 4" tall by 1" thick. Thanks :)

Neat idea. I would suggest getting or fabricating some kind of attachment that screws or bolts to the ceiling. Something like this: http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FLW/LHOR/GXL5UGYU/FLWLHORGXL5UGYU.LARGE.jpg

You will need some skills and tools to work with metal: drill press, possibly a tap and die set, vise, hacksaw, and you will have to modify a stand - perhaps irreversibly.

Neat idea. I would suggest getting or fabricating some kind of attachment that screws or bolts to the ceiling. Something like this: http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FLW/LHOR/GXL5UGYU/FLWLHORGXL5UGYU.LARGE.jpg

You will need some skills and tools to work with metal: drill press, possibly a tap and die set, vise, hacksaw, and you will have to disassemble and modify a stand - perhaps irreversibly. I seem to recall the drummer for Stryper hanging cymbals from heavy chains during shows. That would sure simplify things!

Hi all. I realised I could just mount a cymbal from the beam with a standard grabber arm. The issue with this is that it is too high, and there isn't much freedom of movement. I think what I need to do is mount a 7/8" pipe facing towards the floor. Suggestions?
(Sorry the picture is so dark)
Edit: The picture is sideways, can't change it on my phone, sorry :(

Hi all. I realised I could just mount a cymbal from the beam with a standard grabber arm. The issue with this is that it is too high, and there isn't much freedom of movement. I think what I need to do is mount a 7/8" pipe facing towards the floor. Suggestions?

I would try flipping the cymbal over and mount it hanging.

Good idea. It seems like there is some amount of rod remaining on the other side of the clamp. Why don't you slide it down more?

Another option is to use the kind of base I linked to above, attach a pipe dangling down, then attach the clamp to that.

Hey, i'm having a tough time with some simple hardware cleaning. My stands are sticking and difficult to adjust. Any one know how i might solve this problem? Thank you! :)

Hey, i'm having a tough time with some simple hardware cleaning. My stands are sticking and difficult to adjust. Any one know how i might solve this problem? Thank you! :)
Get a can of silicone spray, spray the stands, then wipe them with a cloth.

Those Expensive Seats Can be Easily Made

I didn't even bother to measure here. Just some plywood a jigsaw and a really solid old stool (sheet metal one from an old classroom, homec, lol). Then I put some spongy foam where the thighs rest and covered it with vinyl using a staple gun. Unbelieveably comfy!

Attachments

• 528233_694631107232532_1220777004_n.jpg
    528233_694631107232532_1220777004_n.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 2,074
  • 555868_693535020675474_136235219_n.jpg
    555868_693535020675474_136235219_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,067
  • 1276303_693534970675479_1804650270_o.jpg
    1276303_693534970675479_1804650270_o.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,141
V-Drum Portable Snare Rack "Stump" Extension

Too short if you get any height at all, so...

Attachments

• Snare Extender.jpg
    Snare Extender.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,129
Recently added drum spurs to a 16" floor tom for use as a bass drum. Needed a riser but wanted it to only touch the tension rods. Scrounged around the shop and found a couple of plastic handles I'd bought five years ago to use on something that I never got around to building.

A piece of composite 4 X 4 post, a bracket that I had laying around from who knows where, and a few cuts on the table saw for grooves for the tension rods to sit in...

The finished product. I'll spray paint it black eventually.

I am doing a multiple percussion gig in a few weeks and I need to be able to mount a small gong. I have a 22" light gong and I went on line to look for an adapter I could put on a music stand. I found a Wohan gong adapter for $15 which seemed reasonable but the more I looked at it the more I thought "I can make that". Well, I can't seem to get a picture of the Wohan to post but you can google it. Here are pics of my copy made from material on hand with tools on hand in about 30 minutes.

DSCF1349.JPG
DSCF1348.JPG
DSCF1345.JPG

Back