HARDEST drum set beat(s)/grooves you know?

play a perfect , deeply quarter note rooted swing pattern on the ride cymbal at 130bpm and make it feel GREAT!....or nail a money beat at 60 bpm and make it feel amazing

that should keep you busy for a while

if you can't do that yet.....I wouldn't worry about all this afro cuban 6/8 stuff and crazy coordination work outs in 13/16

get your quarter note together and everything else will follow

From Monique, yes, from a big hairy ape like you? Pass lol

OK and I'll stand on the enormous pile of hair and we'll hug.

I'm about 5 feet 11 inches tall. With a 5 foot arm span. Will that get around you?

OK. Just so you know, I like a nice tight long hug that really means something.
When you hug, the goal is to get your hearts as close together as possible. You down with that?

play a perfect , deeply quarter note rooted swing pattern on the ride cymbal at 130bpm and make it feel GREAT!....or nail a money beat at 60 bpm and make it feel amazing

if you can't do that yet.....I wouldn't worry about all this afro cuban 6/8 stuff and crazy coordination work outs in 13/16

Good advice, I would also suggest changing the tempo regularly starting at 30 bpm.

Anyone should be able to play a perfect, deeply quarter note rooted swing or nail a money beat at 60 bpm and make it feel amazing. These are not easy to do, but they are part of the basic essentials of drumming and not terribly difficult to master for anyone committed making good music. Many drummers will be content to play at this level for their entire lives, while others want to move on to things they consider more challenging.

The Afro Cuban 6/8 and crazy coordination workouts in 13/16 are really, really difficult from a technical perspective. Setting aside the technical demands, these can also be rendered gracefully or not. I'd compare it to doing a nice, smooth travel on a skateboard, versus doing stunts and tricks on a skateboard.

Most of the hardest stuff I do involves the left foot, such as clave beats and playing figures in different times on the left foot compared to the rest of the set.

Back