Hardest “simple” things to play on drums

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
2- playing with a bass (or rhythm guitar) player with bad time/timing
I’ve said for many years that it’s 3 times as hard to play well with bad players as it is to play with good ones. There’s no faster way to improve your listening skills than to play with bad or unprepared players. Or really, in any conditions that are not ideal. Challenges improve our skills.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Anything really simple or consistent slow I struggle. I can do it (like gigging) but both bores me to tears so I tend to want to start embellishing and then it goes all to hell. Keeping it simple seems completely antithetical to my nature (sadly)-and I like nebulous chaos oddly enough and the outside of the box rather than inside. Still I struggle with all-even the things I do well because it's how you apply it all in context of music-not just doing something well. I can overkill a good thing.

One Up One Down

Anything really simple or consistent slow I struggle. I can do it (like gigging) but both bores me to tears so I tend to want to start embellishing and then it goes all to hell. Keeping it simple seems completely antithetical to my nature (sadly)-and I like nebulous chaos oddly enough and the outside of the box rather than inside. Still I struggle with all-even the things I do well because it's how you apply it all in context of music-not just doing something well. I can overkill a good thing.
So much to unpack here -- very well said! (Just my opinion)