Platinum Member
Anything that’s deceptively difficult, but seems really simple in concept—

1. Buzz rolls
2. Linear stuff
3. Morello’s Stone Killer exercise

What else?

8Mile

Platinum Member
A money beat that feels good. Bass drum on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, eighth notes on hi-hats. The simplest groove imaginable, but difficult to play that simple with conviction and groove. No adding in extra stuff because of boredom, gotta stay focused on just that part.

jimmyt905

Stewart Copeland's drum beats. Some of them sound simple but are deceptively difficult in their preciseness and sharpness - and the fact he mixes up what would be a regular time signature. Some of the songs by The Police sound easy to play when listening to them until you want to play them the way Stewart played them.

Also, I've always had trouble with learning how to twirl my sticks.

Darubba

Stewart Copeland's drum beats. Some of them sound simple but are deceptively difficult in their preciseness and sharpness - and the fact he mixes up what would be a regular time signature. Some of the songs by The Police sound easy to play when listening to them until you want to play them the way Stewart played them. Also, I've always had trouble with learning how to twirl my sticks.
+1

rebonn

Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath. Slow stuff is the hardest for me to keep in tempo. Using a click though makes it is so easy and to me is almost like cheating. It lifts a burden to where I can feel better playing.

bud7h4

Silver Member
There's a lot of simple music that I don't play - country, reggae, soft jazz - I could never pull that off. Different genres can be very much like different languages.

And I've noticed for many drummers it's apparently not easy to hit your cymbals and drum at the same time.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Just keeping steady time without a click through all of the song's ups, downs, quiet parts and shout choruses is deceptively difficult.

brady

Platinum Member
Yes. Shuffles!!
I didn't realize how difficult it was until I heard several drummers without any sense of swing try to play one.
Even more difficult...making a shuffle feel GOOD!

I should also add: Playing a shuffle without fills every 4 bars.

mikyok

Platinum Member
The Beatles - Something.

It's so simple sounding but so hard to play right. The groove in the verse is just bass drum and snare, you really have to hold back because the tempo is deceptively slow.

blinky

The Beatles - Something.

It's so simple sounding but so hard to play right. The groove in the verse is just bass drum and snare, you really have to hold back because the tempo is deceptively slow.
Yes, and the bridge with the tom tom pattern is a bit tricky as well, I really don't know exactly how he played that, but maybe they're overdubbed?

mikyok

Platinum Member
Yes, and the bridge with the tom tom pattern is a bit tricky as well, I really don't know exactly how he played that, but maybe they're overdubbed?
Could well be, Lady Madonna has a brushes snare jazz pattern all the way through with the straight feel drums on another track, one panned hard left and one panned hard right. Again no hi hat on the main groove just bass drum and snare. It's really cool.

Strawberry Fields has a really cool drum part, don't know if it's a orchestral bass drum they used to give a double bass drum kind of feel. They did some real outside the box stuff.