Hardcase sizing advice for Ludwigs

Robzildjian

I have a 22, 16, 13, Ludwig classic maple kit. I’ve attached a picture for fun! I love black oyster. I want to get some hard cases but want a snug fit as I don’t like my drums to slop around in the cases. What sizes would you recommend For the cases? 22, 16, 13? Does anyone have a pic of drums of this size in the cases so I can see. I once heard they were hugely oversize and I don’t want this. I’m also considering leblond cases too as I like the retro vibe. I use protection racket when in the car but these drums will travel in the band van so I want hardcases.

thanks for

thanks for the advice all.554853FD-31B6-4928-A3A8-F7028C55A330.jpeg

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Many drums from the past 30-40 years require the next size up diameter than the drum itself dues to larger hardware, bass drums in particular. So a 14x22" kick with bulkier spurs might fit better in a 14x24" case. But case manufacturers are aware of the hardware trend, and allow for that, and would offer a good-fitting case. A smart case company or dealer will ask if the drums are vintage, or more modern, to give you the correct fit. Therefore, it's a good idea to provide that info when ordering. If you're buying online, and they don't have a vintage-modern option, you're taking a chance.

Do your toms have ATLAS mounts on them? Those take up some extra diameter in a hard case, especially the floor tom which has three of them. That means you'd need an 16x18" case, and it would probably still be a tight squeeze. A 20" case is ideal, but now you've got a much bigger case than the drum it holds. And you might have a problem getting a custom 16x20 fl tom case (which is actually smaller than a case for a 16x20 bass drum!)

Hard cases are tricky unless the case manufacturer is hip, or unless the drum company offers them (I don't think any of them do anymore.)

Choose your source carefully. For hard cases, I would recommend Humes & Berg, Gator, or SKB.

Good luck!

Bermuda

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I'm partial to SKB hardcases - probably because that's what I own. But they've been unbreakable for the last twenty years of abuse, and they have very nice padding.

When it comes to sizing, I've found that the SKBs should likely be ordered according to the actual size of your drum. This is because the flat side of the case offers a "pocket" into which the tom mount can nestle. The 22" bass drum case I have is just slightly larger than the drum itself in order to allow room for the legs and tom mounts. The only reservation I would have on your floor tom is that the Atlas mounts for the legs might cause a problem. But, I don't think that is the case (no pun intended), because along with the aforementioned "pocket" the cases are also just a bit oversized, and I'm almost certain that even a floor tom with Atlas mounts will fit just fine - and snug enough that the drum will not slide around in the case.

There's an easy way to ease your concerns, though - simply call your chosen manufacturer and ask the questions. I'll guarantee you that they're all very acquainted with which drums will fit inside their cases without moving. I'd make talking to the manufacturer a priority before ordering.

GeeDeeEmm

Contact information: http://www.skbcases.com/contact.php

1583439827257.png

Robzildjian

Many drums from the past 30-40 years require the next size up diameter than the drum itself dues to larger hardware, bass drums in particular. So a 14x22" kick with bulkier spurs might fit better in a 14x24" case. But case manufacturers are aware of the hardware trend, and allow for that, and would offer a good-fitting case. A smart case company or dealer will ask if the drums are vintage, or more modern, to give you the correct fit. Therefore, it's a good idea to provide that info when ordering. If you're buying online, and they don't have a vintage-modern option, you're taking a chance.

Do your toms have ATLAS mounts on them? Those take up some extra diameter in a hard case, especially the floor tom which has three of them. That means you'd need an 16x18" case, and it would probably still be a tight squeeze. A 20" case is ideal, but now you've got a much bigger case than the drum it holds. And you might have a problem getting a custom 16x20 fl tom case (which is actually smaller than a case for a 16x20 bass drum!)

Hard cases are tricky unless the case manufacturer is hip, or unless the drum company offers them (I don't think any of them do anymore.)

Choose your source carefully. For hard cases, I would recommend Humes & Berg, Gator, or SKB.

Good luck!

Bermuda
thanks Bermuda. Really helpful advice.

Robzildjian

I'm partial to SKB hardcases - probably because that's what I own. But they've been unbreakable for the last twenty years of abuse, and they have very nice padding.

When it comes to sizing, I've found that the SKBs should likely be ordered according to the actual size of your drum. This is because the flat side of the case offers a "pocket" into which the tom mount can nestle. The 22" bass drum case I have is just slightly larger than the drum itself in order to allow room for the legs and tom mounts. The only reservation I would have on your floor tom is that the Atlas mounts for the legs might cause a problem. But, I don't think that is the case (no pun intended), because along with the aforementioned "pocket" the cases are also just a bit oversized, and I'm almost certain that even a floor tom with Atlas mounts will fit just fine - and snug enough that the drum will not slide around in the case.

There's an easy way to ease your concerns, though - simply call your chosen manufacturer and ask the questions. I'll guarantee you that they're all very acquainted with which drums will fit inside their cases without moving. I'd make talking to the manufacturer a priority before ordering.

GeeDeeEmm

Contact information: http://www.skbcases.com/contact.php

View attachment 90637
Thanks GeeDeeEmm. That really helps!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If I was this worried about a snug/appropriate fit, I'd take your drums to a Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc., and see what the fit is like in person. It may be overkill, but it may be worth it.

If you order online, I'd do so from a place that has a terrific return policy.

bermuda

Staff member
If I was this worried about a snug/appropriate fit, I'd take your drums to a Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc., and see what the fit is like in person.
I'd be surprised if either store carries much of a supply of hard cases apart from a few snare sizes. Bass drum cases in particular take up a lot of space compared to the profits they generate.

It's probably best to speak to someone in customer service at each company and ask for their advice regarding the kit sizes. They'll know what kind of allowances are built-in for legs and mounts. I would trust Humes & Berg for getting it right the first time, they've specialized in drum cases forever. SKB makes assorted cases (drums are not their focus) and Gator acquired XL (Protechtor) fairly recently, and may not really know why the cases are sized the way they are. All great cases, but H&B has more expertise. :)

Bermuda

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'd be surprised if either store carries much of a supply of hard cases apart from a few snare sizes. Bass drum cases in particular take up a lot of space compared to the profits they generate.

It's probably best to speak to someone in customer service at each company and ask for their advice regarding the kit sizes. They'll know what kind of allowances are built-in for legs and mounts. I would trust Humes & Berg for getting it right the first time, they've specialized in drum cases forever. SKB makes assorted cases (drums are not their focus) and Gator acquired XL (Protechtor) fairly recently, and may not really know why the cases are sized the way they are. All great cases, but H&B has more expertise. :)

Bermuda
As soon as I wrote my suggestion, I thought about the two GC's that are within an hour's drive of here. They are absolutely the smallest Guitar Centers I've ever seen, almost like comparing Dollar General to a Super Walmart. I bet they don't keep anything too big in their inventory.

I've heard about clothing stores not having any in-house inventory. Basically they have one of everything in every size, and you go in, try on the clothes, and then order what you want. I wonder if some music stores will start doing this? Or, are they already doing this in a way?

bermuda

Staff member
Basically they have one of everything in every size, and you go in, try on the clothes, and then order what you want. I wonder if some music stores will start doing this? Or, are they already doing this in a way?
In terms of cases, kits, amps etc. that would prohibitive space-wise, especially at a time when brick & mortar stores aren't exactly thriving like they were 30+ years ago. Vic's Drum Shop in Chicago did try something along those lines by stocking at least one of every cymbal size and model, which was well-intended but no guarantee that if you found a set of cymbals you liked and ordered them, they would sound the same (except possibly from Paiste.) Granted, bases don't make a sound, but they take up a lot of space.

Bermuda