Hardcase cymbal case question

TripleStroke

Hey guys. I recently bought a used cymbal case made by Hardcase off a shop i go to for 50 bucks. Real steal i thought. Condition is a bit beat up on the outside which i dont mind.

I loaded my cymbals up sat nite for a gig for the first time of use (used soft carry cymbal bag previously to this purchase), and i noticed that the central rod that you use to put the cymbals thru is your run of the mill metallic bolt with threads. I thought jeez, that seems like its gonna be awful to the cymbal hole/surrounding area of hole, especially withthe case being held or wheeled in almost upright position. I was under the impression that there would be some sorta protective material around the rod to keep the cymbals from grinding against the threads (metal to metal) but i guess not. Im not familiar with the construct of hard cases to kno. Is it safe to contunue using this case without worry of key holing cymbals? I have about 5 or 6 i take to gigs every month.

It should have a protective plastic sleeve around the centre bolt. Just use some fuel pipe around it for an easy fix :)

Wow thanks
So as i suspected, not all parts were in this hardcase when i bought it... cant complain for used i guess at that price. Since i dont live in the UK i guess id have to make do with plastic sleeves taped up

Wow thanks
So as i suspected, not all parts were in this hardcase when i bought it... cant complain for used i guess at that price. Since i dont live in the UK i guess id have to make do with plastic sleeves taped up

Normal cymbal protector sleeves are the same as what you get from Hard-Case.

If worse gets to worse you can use shrink wrap tubing. But the extra duty stuff at any good hardware stores. Put it over the center bolt and use either a heat gun or a hair dryer to shrink the tubing onto the rod. You can use a diameter of tuning that clings to the rod when heat is applied and then come back with a wider diameter piece and do the same if you want extra potection. I've been using it for awhile and it's done well. Poor man's cymbal sleeve.

I had the SKB hard case for my cymbals once and that didn't come with anything protecting the cymbals from the center bolt. However, I looked at it pragmatically - you shouldn't have to worry about about the bolt messing up the center hole since the cymbals aren't moving anyway. You do use the wing nut to tighten them down, right?

My first hardcase cymbal case didn’t have a sleeve from new, so it’s potentially the same sort of vintage (2001ish?) great cases though, the tailgate came open on my car once coming back from the studio and my cymbals fell out of the car at 40mph, case was a bit scratched but the cymbals were all completely fine.

If worse gets to worse you can use shrink wrap tubing. But the extra duty stuff at any good hardware stores. Put it over the center bolt and use either a heat gun or a hair dryer to shrink the tubing onto the rod. You can use a diameter of tuning that clings to the rod when heat is applied and then come back with a wider diameter piece and do the same if you want extra potection. I've been using it for awhile and it's done well. Poor man's cymbal sleeve.

I’ve done same, works perfect!

Back